Heresy mod

EvilMinion

Howdy all.. been a bit since I've browsed the boards. Did a little modification (some may say bastardization!) to my Heresys today. They're not known for their titanic bass performance, and I was looking to do something about it. My neighbor won auction on some stuff on eBay, part of it being a pair of Speakerlab 1208R woofers. For kicks, I put them in my Klipschs, to see what kind of difference they would make.

Well, the difference was stark. They're a little less efficient, but are still significantly stronger in the low frequency than the Heresy woofer. On that receiver, clicking the low frequency boost to raise the bass 3 db (my guess), the 1208s keep up well with the horns, and the bass extends a LOT farther down. Gives a whole new sound to the speakers, as if they've been transformed, or someone hid a powered subwoofer in the room somewhere. The subsonics are just THERE, and they definitely extend much farther down than the stock woofer does, thanks to a lot more excursion and a looser suspension. They don't sound muddy to me, either, the bass is clean, and a lot deeper.. very pleasing. My neighbor (who owns the speakers) gave them a blast, and mentioned that they sound like they extend down to their 21 Hz Fs. They definitely rumble. To me, they sound perfect. biggrin.gif

Now I gotta find some of these woofers for myself! frown.gif Kinda hard to find, period, much less in the near mint condition his are in. Ohhhh I'm gonna hate having to give back those things. They've got an Fs of 21 Hz, like a cabinet around 1.7-1.8 cu. ft (About 1.78 cu. ft for the Heresy cab, minus the volume consumed by the internal bracing, crossover, and mid/tweeter... probably close to 1.7 with them, my guess.), they really seemed to make my babies come alive. smile.gif

Now, hopefully I won't be tied to a stake and burned for defacing their Klipschness with Speakerlab drivers! biggrin.gif

Randy,

If the woofer is horn loaded, then indeed the horn effectively determines the low frequency cutoff. The Heresy is not horn loaded in the bass, so it's cutoff is determined by the cabinet. I don't recall whether the Heresy is reflex loaded or an enclosed box.

EvilMinion,

If it is reflex loaded, the mod could possibly be damaging to the speakerlab woofer since they used sealed boxes in all their designs.

Acoustic suspension speakers depend on the trapped air to limit cone excursion and a reflex cabinet does not supply that protection.

I'd be careful how loud the modified Heresy is played. The excessive cone motion for the speakerlab woofer might damage it.

------------------

John P

St Paul, MN

Yep.. BobO is right. The Heresy's a sealed enclosure, with non-horn loaded front firing 12" woofer. I did the measurements of the cabinet before, and the internal volume came out to be about what the Speakerlab likes. I did it at the suggestion of my neighbor, who's been doing this stuff most of his life, so I figure he knew it wouldn't hurt the woofer smile.gif

All in all, it sounds great, I'm impressed. Now I gotta find a pair of 1208Rs wink.gif