compusa setup is horrible!

the ifi sounded like crap in this store. I was very disappointed because i know how good RSX-3's sound and i know how good my SWS sounded and I know how good this system should sound so what gives? They had it in the middle of their entire store.. double story 40+ feet roof, all hard surfaces, everything a sound room should not be. I had the yellow dots nearly all the way tot he right and it was not very loud, perhaps there was 1 more click to the right, but i didnt want to push it. It also did not sound any better than any PC system, in fact it sounded worse than my 2.1's AND I KNOW THATS FALSE! I really like the iFi so i suggest klipsch's contact GoodGuys (CompUSA owns them as you know) and try to get the iFi into these stores. Compusa should NOT SELL SPEAKERS. If i did not know anything about klispch, i would think they suck after hearing this thing and I was probably the most anxious for it and would more likely give a very biased review in favor of the iFi so this should hit hard with you Klipsch, get it OUT Of that god damn store, it will give it a bad reputation.

other than that, the system looks very nice and its a lot smaller than I thought. Of course, my RSX-4's and 5's really make the 3's look tiny, but man.. the 3's are very dense so they appear to be heavier, even though they are not.. they are by far the cutest speakers I have ever seen and anyone who appreciates design should go for these in a heart beat! The subwoofer is a bit larger than the SWS but im am totally unaware of how it compares to it at this point.

Ok, I was not really sure, because it was noisy in the store so i could not even tell if i was distorting it.. I had the orange lights mostly light up, is there another row after the orange ones, or something like that?

Amy, it was teh compusa in Concord, CA right next to the Good Guys in Concord.

Also, no one could even tell it was an ipod system because the pod was hidden out of side because it had an ipod in it. I had to ask where the pod was and the guy looked confused for a second. On top of that, I even got to even see the remote, the average consumer would not even know this was for the ipod because it was not near the other ipod systems. Also, the guy who was showing it to me would not leave me alone because he was afraid i was going to steal the ipod or something, so it was a bit of distraction. I generally like to listen to music alone when I am testing stuff out.

----------------

On 6/14/2005 3:03:12 PM Blackmesa wrote:

Also, no one could even tell it was an ipod system because the pod was hidden out of side because it had an ipod in it. I had to ask where the pod was and the guy looked confused for a second. On top of that, I even got to even see the remote, the average consumer would not even know this was for the ipod because it was not near the other ipod systems. Also, the guy who was showing it to me would not leave me alone because he was afraid i was going to steal the ipod or something, so it was a bit of distraction. I generally like to listen to music alone when I am testing stuff out.

----------------

Heh loser get a security box that beeps for the ipod DUH compusa.

Also we even have the remote with the system though the remote is attached by strong tape to a steel wire.

As noted the rf remote goes to about 50 honest feet with obstacles.

They musta hacked em not to go too loud 9.gif

Careful! Turning speakers too loud in that store would make the creaky second floor fall down or something 12.gif

I have a funny story about that CompUSA, you see back in 2001 I bought my powermac g4 there, great machine but good lord.. the customer service at that store, well the only way to get anything done with them is via intimidation + arguments with the managers lol...

Anyway, fast forward to about a year and a half later, I was out at the Bay Street Apple Store, same idea -- but slightly more arrogant, I had brought in my cinema display (which was a replacement to a replacement) to have them check it out for dead pixels (there were over a dozen), and the guy at the counter just glanced at it and said it was fine, I made him take a better look and sure enough, he counted all 12. Anyway, it was funny because one thing lead to another and this came up about my powermac (there were a few stripped screws in it I wanted taken care of)..

Apple store guy: Gee I've never seen anything like this, are you sure this was done by a service center?

Myself: You bet, I couldn't believe it .. when I brought the machine in the first time they dropped it off the counter!

Apple store guy: Wow, sorry to hear that

Myself: It was one heck of a hassle, I had to get in arguments with the managers to get anything done there

Apple store guy: So where was this again?

Myself: The CompUSA in concord, been there?

Apple store guy: I WAS A MANAGER THERE! When did THIS happen?!

Myself: Back in early 2002/late 2001

Apple store guy: *silence* yeah that was about the time I worked for their service department

Myself: I guess you should be glad it was your day off 11.gif

Anyway, he happened to be the manager there, and after all that he was pretty cool, it was still a funny story to tell though :D

I haven't been to that CompUSA in a while, is the upstairs floor still err.. all creaky and stuff? The fire marshall or whatever should deem that unsafe! :\ Once I decided to go up there, took 1 step and was like.. oh crap no I aint going any further, and went back down the stairs lol.

To play devil's advocate...

I am NOT about to defend CompUSA nor Best Buy! In fact I consistently walk out of them more frustrated then I went in - much like WalMart.

Neither are set up to effectively demo ANY speaker, computer or 'hi-fi' (now there's an oxymoron for you when used in this context!).

But I think that everyone should know this!

Going in to either of them and expecting anything more then to literally see the product or to see how 'loud' they get is to exhibit a set of expectations that is simply not tenable.

Does anyone seriously expect Best Buy to have acoustically 'sound' listening rooms???? If so you expect what never was and what I suspect never will be. Heck, they are lucky to have a demo on the 'special' shelf without parts missing or broken!

And to go there and expect to be educated regarding a computer?... Where is the 'rolling of eyes' emoticon!?

At best they are places where, after having done your research, you utilize them as a source of price comparison or for a possible discount or sale. And you buy them like cash using a credit card that will double the manufacturer's warranty up to a year. And you do it with a foreknowledge of their convoluted return/exchange policy.

To do anything less is to set yourself up. And their weird policies are easily researched. Heaven forbid, the Best Buy receipt is a 3 foot printout with disclaimers and exclusions!!!!

Like it or note, they don't offer any more service then Wal-Mart. They are simply an alternative source that may (or may not!) offer a lower price.

I think we would be wise to be good shoppers and to be assume responsibility for covering our own posteriors, as Best Buy and CompUSA are simply limited WalMarts.

No criticism, just a reality check that we need to be aware of! Please be responsible educated shoppers! Do your research first!

And GOOD luck!

----------------

On 6/14/2005 6:46:32 PM Blackmesa wrote:

Looks like they have em in my apple store in walnut creek, so im gonna drive over there ant take another look. I think the apple store has carpet and low ceiling and a wall or two, so it should sound a lot better!

----------------

Carpet and low ceiling??? WTF

All apple stores conform to a light colored wooden floor and usual floor height of the mall...

Plus the ifi sub will not be on the floor as it is displayed next to the jbl encounter to the left and to the right are the jbl creature and right of that the bose and right of that the inmotion and then inmotion mini and the JBL onstage and then JBL ontour.