Cornwall Problem

d56rt

Hello,

I have a pair of Cornwalls and I think that one of the crossovers may be damaged. Sometimes when I listen to them, the left speaker sounds as though the mid driver is not working. Are there any tests I can perform to verify what is the actual problem and where can I purchase new crossovers to replace my existing component? If yes, what are the costs? Thank you.

Christopher

----------------

On 6/15/2005 2:54:11 PM d56rt wrote:

Hello,

I have a pair of Cornwalls and I think that one of the crossovers may be damaged. Sometimes when I listen to them, the left speaker sounds as though the mid driver is not working. Are there any tests I can perform to verify what is the actual problem and where can I purchase new crossovers to replace my existing component? If yes, what are the costs? Thank you.

Christopher

----------------

I'm sure another forum member will chime in re: testing of your crossovers. There are multiple fellers on this forum that can do you right w/ new or rebuilt crossovers. Bob Crites (BEC) and DeanG both are accomplished crossover gurus that can advise/help you.

If they are cutting in and out, your problem could be as simple as a loose connection. Have you taken the backs off of the CWs to inspect things?

MJ

Im with Mitch, open cabinets and loosen/retighten all connections on xover, wiggle connections at drivers. Then retry. If you think problem is IN a crossover, you can swap em to test that theory (mark all wires first). If you find it's in one of the crossovers, contact BEC for further advice/repair/rebuild.

Michael

----------------

On 6/15/2005 2:54:11 PM d56rt wrote:

Hello,

Christopher

----------------

Christopher,

Welcome to the forum. Let us know the age or serial number of your Cornwalls so we can tell which configuration you have.

Bob Crites

A very simple test is to take the grille off, and play FM noise (the hiss between stations) at a moderate volume. Put your ear near each driver. The midrange horn goes on up to the tweeter range, so be sure you clearly hear the tweeter working as you put your ear near it. The connections at the back terminals, as has been noted, need to be checked, as also the connections to the amp. DO NOT try to tighten the connections with power on; the screwdriver (if that is what is needed) could slip and short out the amp.

Thank you all for you quick responses! I've looked at the back of the cabinet and the tag is faded. However, in the wood cabinet there are numbers that read 20T832 and 831, left and right respectfully. I believe they were born on 1983.

I'll try your suggestions ASAP and post my findings. Thank you again.

Christopher

Hey All,

It appears that my Cornwalls are just fine. Further research has shown that it might be a bad connection in the area of my patch cables/RCAs. I found this by nudging my receiver and now the right speaker woofer cuts out. I'll let you know if there are any new developments. Thanks for you suggestions once again!

Flynn