A few questions from a Proud new owner...(RSW-15)

Arman

Hi all,

First off, I want to state that the audio portion of my home theater is finally complete (maybe, we'll see in a year). I picked up a RSW-15 for a steal-of-a-price on Monday and have a few questions...

Everyone suggests corner-loading for a sub, currently, my sub is in the far left-corner of my room, on the same wall as the TV. My brother suggests leaving about a distance of 3 inches from the sub to the corner vs. sticking the sub directly against the corner (almost touching the corner) - why should I leave space?

Also, do you guys recommend putting the sub in a corner vs. any other location? I heard something about sticking the sub in a closet...I have a closet that sits in the left-hand corner of the wall where the audience sits...

What should the HZ dial be set to on the back of the sub (by the inputs)?

Also, this thing KICKS ***! I tested certain scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean (Elizabeth's rescue, the necklace sends out a shockwave) and the talking head scene from Matrix: Revolutions. Also, I used the THX Optimizer to test out the sub......holy crap!

Thanks in advance!

-Arman

Hey Arman,

Congrats on the RSW-15, it's a great sub. In regard to the placement of the sub, you definately don't want it placed up against the wall. The RSW series subs have passive radiators on the back side that need room to breathe. I would say it should be at least 6" from the wall. Also, corner placement is usually a good start, but all rooms are different and this may not be your best location. Many people here will tell you to place the sub in your main listening position, then play a bass test tone and crawl along the perimeter of the room with an SPL meter. The location that measures the highest SPL is a good place for the sub.

In regard to the crossover on the sub, you should be disabling or bypassing the crossover in the sub. If there isn't a switch on the back to bypass, simply turn the crossover dial all the way up and let your reciever or pre/pro handle this duty. THX recommends an 80Hz crossover, but depending on your main speakers you may want to raise or lower this.

Congrats on the new sub!!! It is a punchy beast.

The driver on the rear of the RSW-15 is the active driver. The cone on the front is the passive radiator.

The bypass switch on the back of the RSW-15 should be set to bypass the crossover just as Drew stated. The receiver or processor does the filtering, not the sub. If both crossovers are engaged, the cascading will leave a hole in the bass frequencies.

Bill

yeah, the driver is on the rear.

arman, i assume you mean the wall on the left side of your sub, not to the rear, correct?

my first inclinaton would be to say to not put it directly next to that wall, but you should experiment. you can also align it diagonally with the corner as well, with the rear-firing active driver firing into the corner. experiment, experiment, experiment.

but please don't stick it in the closet.

ENJOY! 9.gif

btw, the splitter is unnecesary. the spl you gain is more like 3dB when you do that. unless you're already pushing the sub to the max (doubtful), that 3dBs (or even 6dBs) can be more easily and more cleanly gotten by using the sub's powerful amp for what it's there for, instead of sending it a higher level, and potentially dirtier, input signal.

Are you saying NOT to ' Y ' the signal, from the sub channel of the processor, into two RCA's ....

....so you can insert them into BOTH inputs of the RSW-15 ??

----------------

On 6/16/2005 2:40:20 PM Born2RockU wrote:

Are you saying NOT to ' Y ' the signal, from the sub channel of the processor, into two RCA's ....

....so you can insert them into BOTH inputs of the RSW-15 ??

----------------

yes, that's exactly what i'm saying.

I thought I was done with my system after adding an RSW 12 lastyear, than I ran accross an awesome deal on an RSW 15. So now the RSW 12 sits atop the RSW 15 and man its awesome, now if I could find a deal on RF3's or RB5's than it will be complete till I can afford RF7's. This madness will never end.

Kevin

Guys,

Arman isnt running a reciever, but a Scott stereo tube amp for his mains and Scott 99-d mono amp for his center. We have the left and right outputs from the DVD going into the left and right inputs on the tube amp, the center output of the dvd goes to the mono input on the Scott mono amp and we are running the Subwoofer out from the DVD into the RSW-15.

Doesn't the Scott tube amp have a center out that you can attach both the 99D and the sub to?

That is how I have my Scott 222, Scott 99C and M&K sub connected. In this configuration, the main volume knob on the 222 controls all of the volume levels on all devices.

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses guys! I'm testing out different locations - there is alot of boominess when the sub is about 4 inches away, I think I'll pull it out to 12 inches or so, let us see what happens.

I paid $920 with tax! THAT IS A STEAL OF A PRICE!! HAHAAHAHHAHAHAAHAHAH!

Corner loading works great in some rooms,depending on the results you get you may place the sub along the front wall and get better linearity and less nasty peaks.

Try playing material with plenty of upper and deeper bass and listen.Anything irritaning points to peaks.The more peaks,the more boom and listening fatigue will result.

If I had only one sub I would place it along side the front wall(facing my listening seat)near the middleof the room.Even response,less "impressive" bass on the first listen but also the less colored bass.And coloration detracts from the listening pleasure...unless you are a B0$e fanatic.

Congrats,,, A great subpurchase and to summarize.

The real active driver that fires, is in the rear.

Corner enhancement may help, but also might be boomy too.

Also move it out a few inches at a time..amazing it will make a huge difference in the sound.

Yes, use a Y adaptor, but do so at the sub not at the Pre Amp.

We all seem to figure it out. Look at the manual too. Set the correct levels and x over point based on your speakers too.

-----------------------------------------------------

I use the RSW 15 with K horns... With music, I do not use it very much, if at all. For Movies and that "HT thump experience??" Oh man you betcha!!!

Incredible experience!!

I use mine between the K horns to the left of the HDTV cabinet. I know your not supposed to tell if it at the side or behind you...I always can. Seems to be amazingly realistic when an explosion comes from the front I feel it from the front too. Like it is supposed to.

When TNT was doing the NBA finals..every shot hitting the goal or sound in the arena... I am really being honest here.. I Felt I was there!