hmm only gota B+ from ipodlounge

Which ties the sounddock and looses to a few other cheap solutions like jbl creatures (*PUKES*). I would have figured it would have bested the bose. I know its not a sound quality compare, but more of an all around compare, and I think the size is seriously weighted when considered. They certainly admitted it sounded a lot better and imo, thats all that matters. Im going to the apple store in walnut creek tomorrow and picking up a pair of 2.0s for a graduation gift for a friend, Ill check the iFi once more. BTW, amy, can you PLEASE find out from one of the engineers what the RMS is for each channel and the subwoofer (off the record if possible) ?

• Moderators

Yes, the iPodlounge is very much concerned with asthetics of systems (like the iPod itself). We are very happy with the quality of sound kudos it received, which is always our ultimate goal when designing a new product to begin with.

As far as power, Andy responded to that question in a different thread posted here. Below is a portion:

The Owner's Manual for the iFi does not contain a power spec. The focus of this system was not on power numbers but on quality of music reproduction. The subwoofer is new from the ground up, designed with sound quality, extended low frequency response, and high output in mind, in that order. Honestly, it's my new favorite subwoofer. Period.

The RSX-3 satellites have an iFi specific crossover network to better match the amplifier and mate with the sub.

"Unofficial" power numbers (continuous) are 50W*2 for the left and right and 100W for the sub (THD < 5%). Peak power (at the crest of the sine wave) is around 90W*2 for the left and right and 160W for the sub, or 340W peak.

For those who are curious: The continuous power numbers are measured with an Audio Precision, and are calculated based on an RMS sine wave voltage into known load. The peak power is calculated similarly, but looking at the peak voltage with no visible (or audible) "clipping" or "limiting" (i.e. < 1% THD). Until you approach the limits of the amplifier the THD numbers are well below that, generally about 0.05% to 0.1% THD, depending on power level and frequency.

Thanks Amy, That answers my question.

BTW, if you are taking suggestions.. How about a 399 dollar black

version without the ipod dock, just a PC 2.1 system?

I'm not sure how much of the cost goes into the whole ipod dock part, but a standard 2.1 xFi in black would be slick. People already spend 400 bucks on a PC system and to be honest, surround sound for the PC is overrated, I think there are enough people who want a more focused version of a 2.1 system and the iFi fits the bill!

I would easily pay 400 dollars for the ifi in black without the ipod dock. Hell i would even take an ifi without the ipod dock but in silver! Ive got the PM 2.1's and have loved them for over a year but im looking for something better from Klipsch in the 2.1 spectrum! =)

I'd pay to have it in silver without the dock. I don't get the obsession for black because well, there's already the ultras, and everyone makes black speakers anyway.

That said 'aesthetically' I think the ifi speakers are awesome. Now if only I could afford a 5.1 version of those to desire :D Maybe a gmx style saucer pod with a powermate style dial on it *drool*

• 1 month later...

iPodLounge's most significant complaint seems to be the price. I do disagree with their heavy emphasis on aesthetics and size (two things I couldn't care less about) but otherwise it seems to be pretty even-handed. It's interesting to note that they say the GMXA-2.1 is "comparable" in terms of sound quality. Given the price of the components I realize that iFi isn't overpriced per se, but it is at an awkward price point. For anyone in the market for a great 2.1 multimedia solution, it's simply too expensive relative to the competition: more than 260% of the price of the Promedia 2.1s and by all accounts not 260% better in audio quality. And anyone seeking a true audiophile solution for their iPod at this price will likely use the money to get a good pair of bookshelf speakers.

I would kill for a version of the iFi WITHOUT the iPod dock, priced at, say, $299. I'll snap it up as soon as it hits that price point.

That guy is a joke, I started some comments on under that review which had some technical details in them.. After a healthy debate.. Not even a debate , just a friendly conversation, that reviewer guy (Jeremy Horwizt) Emailed me and threaded that I worked for Klipsch. He also deleted every single one of my comments and banned my user account. I never argued, nor cursed, in fact, I Was being extremely modest compared to how I normally am. Ironically I was banned on my best behavior, it was very strange.

He claimed that I was trying to market the system and because I told him that I owned the RSX-4's and 5's he said I could not "afford" that unless I had an employee discount, LOL. He also admitted that he felt I knew too much about Klipsch to be not working for them. Fact is, I knew more than him and I was the one who should have wrote that review, and in the end, I did the iFi review anyway. I told him I was a student and he did not believe me so after about 3 emails, I did what I do best.. I told him off and blocked his email. It was a two part strategy...telling him off was very unprofessional and would prove I dont work for Klipsch, and also, it felt pretty damn good because that like *** munch deleted my time consuming posts.

About 3 weeks later, I get banned on the forums. Well, I guess he told his boss and his boss ran the forums and he banned my other account. I sould have not used the same names because he not only banned my name, he banned my entire class D ip range! YES 207.214.92.* with that wild card so all 255 of them were blocked! I pay for static so I can switch them as needed but ALL were banned!!!! For what? NOTHING exct a private email (NOT PUBLIC) that was rightfully deserved telling him to F-off after he said i was I was lying which i was not.

In fact, I was the only one.. yes the only one of the form constantly giving great advice about ipod speaker solutions and they banned me. I never argued nor even asked questions. I just consistently answered out of my own free will to all these ipod newbiews. I also recommended several brands at a time, not just Klipsch, but I will admit I never recommended bose. Its funny.. because I was one the most helpful people there and I got banned! I stepped on that Jeremy kids ego and this is what happeneds. Good lord, at least I can post here.

----------------

On 8/5/2005 6:15:45 PM Ronan wrote:

iPodLounge's most significant complaint seems to be the price. It's interesting to note that they say the GMXA-2.1 is "comparable" in terms of sound quality. Given the price of the components I realize that it's not overpriced per se, but it is at an awkward price point. For anyone in the market for a great 2.1 multimedia solution, it's simply too expensive relative to the competition. And anyone seeking a true audiophile solution for their iPod will likely use the money to get a good pair of bookshelf speakers. I would kill for a version of the iFi WITHOUT the iPod dock, priced at, say, $299. I'll snap it up as soon as it hits that price point.

----------------

The iFi is worth the 400 bucks.. read my review. The dock doest add 100 to the cost, in fact, they probably didnt add anything for it.

sws retailed for 200 - was a great subwoofer and the iFi sub is even better

RSX-3's retail for 130 each

thats $460 right there and you're already getting more because the ifi sub is better

Now, throw in an all new 200 watt amp, remote and control pod then lower the price to 400! Yes its priced correctly, you need to hear one in your own room to really appreciate that.

this is my review word 2003 required, i did some updating and took down the online version

007_iFi_1.2.doc

007 - Great review. Detailed, comprehensive, and seemingly very fair.

I'm aware of the independent price of the iFi's components - hence my earlier qualification that it's "not overpriced per se." But at this point it's still just too expensive for most people looking for the equivalent of an "Ultra 2.1" system. Here's hoping it eventually hits $299.

----------------

On 8/5/2005 7:06:11 PM Ronan wrote:

007 - Great review. Detailed, comprehensive, and seemingly very fair.

I'm aware of the independent price of the iFi's components - hence my earlier qualification that it's "not overpriced per se." But at this point it's still just too expensive for most people looking for the equivalent of an "Ultra 2.1" system. Here's hoping it eventually hits $299.

----------------

Oh ok.. agreed, KLipsch need to do an ultra 2.1 at around 200 bucks or so to bring back the 2.1 systems.

Jay, good idea, im gonna install some proxy server software and go start some chaos!

----------------

On 8/5/2005 8:25:23 PM 007 wrote:

Oh ok.. agreed, KLipsch need to do an ultra 2.1 at around 200 bucks or so to bring back the 2.1 systems.

Jay, good idea, im gonna install some proxy server software and go start some chaos!

----------------

??? install some proxy server software??? eh its within your internet explorer/mozilla. You just need to know the right ip and/or password.