The Case Against Bo$e

WOW, I am amazed how much effort is expended from week to week on this hangup!

Personally, I dislike whisky, but I don't spend my time obsessing over it, I simply don't think about it!

But hey...

Here's an idea that may simplify some of your lives!...

Simply offer to let the guy hear an alternative. Then let him buy whatever he prefers. No debate nor discussion necessary!

After all, to debate him is to fall in to the trap similar to those who appreciate the physics of audio. We are simply told to keep it to ourselves as the other folks have these things called 'ears'. (Hey, don't ask me what they are! I am too busy with my technoid toys!)

After all, if all the insights offered by science are negated by 'them ears things', why are you bothering to discuss the topic?

Doesn't he have 'ears'? Or, if not, maybe you can be a good friend and help him to find an 'ears' store and then he will be good to go! Maybe you should instead be debating which model of 'ears' he should get! Personally I always rather admired the trendy elfen/Vulcan style...

After all, so many who spend so much time worrying about this topic have also pushed 'them ear things' too! And if they work as good as so many say, this issue should be moot. 2.gif9.gif6.gif

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I must disagee with archangele and smb25.

First, this bo$e system definately did NOT have pounding bass. My RF-7's feel like a hammerblow in the chest. The bose had a lack of all bass punch and definition.

Second, to say that bose are louder sounds ridiculous. I dont know about any other of their systems, but this one was DROWNED by either my RF-7's or the paradigms. I dont know how loud you like it because my ears eardurms will crumble out before my RF-7's will...

No Highs, No Lows......... must be Bose. That being established and said, the marketing hype and lure of tiny cubes certainly appeals to the huddled masses. However, I have spent many years learning,living and experiencing the audiophile way of life with reckless abandon. To this day I personally have never seen in print or in person a dedicated home theater with a Bose system as the heart of the sound. I am certain I have missed someone that has done this but I would think on a very small percentage of the population. In my opinion, the point is that the informed individual typically gravitates to larger, deeper sounding speakers to achieve the ultimate sound. Personally, you can check my system profile to see which direction I went in with regards to my choice of speakers.

----------------

On 6/25/2005 7:55:14 PM Zealot125 wrote:

OK, some friends and I were having arguements over quality of Bo$e in comparison with others. So, the reasonable steps we took were to take some of our own respective stuff and to compare them all. So we got one guy's Bo$e acoustic wave system, my pair of RF-7's, a pair of paradigm monitor 11's. The Bo$e guy started all of this with his claim that his little 1.5 x 1.5 x 2 foot box put out bigger better quality sound than me or my frineds paradigms. So we put all of these in my HT room and hooked em up with each of our own recievers (mine is a Denon AVR-3805, paradigms were with Denon 2805, but also tried them with my 3805) and set them to each of our respective preferences and listened. Now, we each had our own opinions, mine being that the Paradigm and RF-7's sounded fantastic, but I just didnt like the Bo$e. Its just wasnt quite as powerful or commanding as the RF-7 or Paradigms. Of course this Bo$e guy was loving his Acoustic wave system and kept saying " Its smaller but sounds just as good as your big Floorstanders. I'm just looking for some technical ammo to back up my opinions when I see him next. I dunno, in my mind, there wassnt even competition, but I have nothing to argue with him about except with my opinions. Can anyone give me some technical dirt on Bo$e??

----------------

The debate should really end with stereo separation. The bose gives you NONE. its pretty much mono. You can spread the other speakers out as much as you want the capture the stereo effects of songs. Use some newer music to take advantage of that and you will see how bad the bose is for stereo.

You can end the debate with FQ response. Just hook up a PC with a free download sinwave tester and run a sin wave in a loop from 20 hz on up to 20,000 hz and watch the bose crumble from both ends. Play is linearly so you see how much TIME passes as the FQ goes from 10k to 20k. The Paradigms and Klipsch will continue to play while the bose just sits silently.

Beyond that, I owned a wave radio, and I took it apart for fun. Its made with very cheap drivers that you can find online for about 5 bucks.

BTW, just so everyone knows, this is the product he is talking bout

p_awms_l_gg.jpg

The system retails for 1,079, and you can add on a 5 disc cd changer for ONLY another 300 dollars.

p_x-pedawms_l_b.jpg

----------------

On 7/12/2005 2:27:17 PM Guido_Badaduchi wrote:

To all,

I have two questions.

1. Do the Bose lovers know about physics?

2. Why are the Bose lovers on the Klipsch forum?

----------------

1. No, but they do believe that bose defies it!

2. They are jealous because they don't have one. (You can imagine why they don't --they need to keep people hidden from the truth and message boards are a collection of information.)

Ironically, we did that with my set of PMU 5.1's vs the Blose. You know exactly how the results came out. He actually turned red in the face when I asked him how much the system cost him after all of our comparisons. I think he popped a vein in his forehead when I told him what I paid for the PMU's.9.gif

I have noticed that if you start talking about the physics of sound that most Bose people clam up. It is really not that hard to understand the basic principles (of physics) and how we are bound by them. If you look around you will notice similar situations in life. For example: American top fuel drag cars vs. import top fuel drag. Another point is that the Bose people are not very open minded. I am a seasoned sales person with a long background in everything from conception/construction of speakers and amps to selling them. Plus, both my friends and myself often do blind testing with many different styles of music in a controlled environment. I am not changing the subject, but stressing the point that we are bound by physics.

PS. Why does the Bose company make such a big deal about display/demo of their speakers in the same room as other speaker companies? I was involved in a situation were a Bose regional rep yelled at me for doing this.

Keep the replies coming, because they give me more knowledge in my field.

We are beating a dead horse... bose sucks, and we all know it.

They focus on market control with phony trademarks and patents to make consumers believe they are "special"

They divert much more cost into advertising than R&D. I would guess 10-100 times more.

They sell you cheap parts and inflated prices. Retail stores like it because they get HUGE markup (much more so than Klipsch for example) so they are happy to try to sell bose to anyone.

Technology is always improving and Bose uses this market known concept to market there speakers. Like microprocessors. Bose claims that speakers are also improving as time progresses, and like microchips, speakers are able to be smaller and better. In the demo at any bose store, they start off with a brief history of sound. They start with mono then stereo... They have 2 huge speakers that appear to be from the 1950's. They play sound and then all of a sudden the guy lifts off one of the speakers and its really not a speaker, its just a fake box on top of a bose cube! (100th the size) The audience is impressed because it really made the little bose speaker sound like that big old "hunk of junk". Bose plays off this theme and it works well in the market. Most people dont know anything about speakers and this plays right into bose's hands.

You should see the user reviews on apple.com for the bose sounddock. I would say 1 in 4 got it as a gift. Bose uses this gift idea to make it seem like its ok to spend 300-500 dollars on someone for a quality audio product from "Bose." The gift idea works well and thousands of people buy these low grade expensive products for their friends and family. The receiver of the gift knows even less about sound and they just love their new free bose product. Without comparing it to a single other speaker system, many of these people write up a review "10/10 stars," "oh my god this is so amazing and loud," "fills my room," "bose is the best." Etc.. etc. In one case a father gave his daughter a bose sounddock. She continued on to explain how her father owned many bose products and raved about them to his family. It honestly made me sorry for this poor girl who will ultimately one day, meet a young man like myself and he will explain how misguided her dad is.

----------------

On 7/12/2005 9:35:58 PM Zealot125 wrote:

Ironically, we did that with my set of PMU 5.1's vs the Blose. You know exactly how the results came out. He actually turned red in the face when I asked him how much the system cost him after all of our comparisons. I think he popped a vein in his forehead when I told him what I paid for the PMU's.
9.gif

----------------

HAHAHA PMU's vs that thing! That must have been a slaughter, much more so with the RF-7's. Honestly, I have am having a hard time seeing the RF-7's against that thing. Did you crank up the 7s full blast? My god

Yea it was pretty bad. I actually was embarrassed for the guy when he tried to turn his up "loud" after auditioning my RF-7's to start with. Once he got around his "OMG BOSE IS SOO GOOD" mentality, he was actually pretty reasonable. It was my impression that the Bo$e people told him that this little box was competition with many leading floorstanding speakers, except there is no way that they will let you actually listen some side by side. Bottom line, if Klipsch just put an outlet next to every Bo$e store out there, I seriously think that they could run Bo$e out of business. He ended up saying he was going to return it and take some speaker advice from someone who knows a little bit about speakers, instead of the people in the bo$e store. I never talked to him to see if they let him return it or whatever went down with that. He wanted to look into some Klipsch speakers if he got it returned, but he hasnt called me for awhile. I guess his wife grounded him after she learned that he spent god knows how much money on such a peice of crap. Either that or she hates me now that he is going to have floorstanding speakers instead of a nice neat little Bo$e soundbox.