Will KHorns Rock?

I.T. Guy

Hi Guys. I am sure I have missed this question before, but I currently have Cornwall I's and love the versatitility in listening range. From Rock, to Jazz, Pop, Blues etc they sound great. I especially like the punch when crankin up some good ole rock and roll! The bass really kicks you in the chest!

I have the corners for a set of KHorns and would like to move the Corns to another room, but only if the KHorns can give me the same punch and still rock out when needed! Since I have never heard the KHorns in a louder than average listening level I am at a loss.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again guys,

Kevin

My standard, peel the poor schmuck off the wall, warn everyone in vicinity, demo for my horns is "Beds are Burning" from Midnight Oil "Diesel and Dust."

At 110db or more, we are talking shock and awe.

'nuff said. Choose your own weapon, but, yes, 'horn ROCK.

Dave

I don't have my Horns anymore, but used to impress me with the AC DC stuff, course this was 20 years ago when I could stand the loud thumping for long periods of time. Do they rock, there ain't nothing else that I have heard that can rock like the Horns do.

Turn it loud, I mean loud, then turn it up again, oh yeah they rock.

Of the few times I've gotten to demo khorns with rock, I've always preferred the cornwall sound. The khorns are relentless when it comes to bad recordings and there are a lot of great albums that are just plain recorded poorly. So in that regard I feel the cornwalls allow one to enjoy a wider range of music and in the end it's all about listening to the music.

I would suggest if you get the chance to demo some of your favorite music on a pair before you go all out and make the purchase. If you like what you hear then you can just ignore this nay sayer 2.gif

>The khorns are relentless when it comes to bad recordings...

Yep. And when my 'horns make a ruling on that, those recordings go to someone willing to tolerate that. I will not put up with:

1. Poor composition

2. Poor performance

3. Poor recording

4. Poor reproduction

Individually or collectively.

I've always considered "That is one great sounding loudspeaker..." as perhaps the most cutting remark an audiophile can make.

Dave

Klipschorns not only ROCK... they ROLL you into a DVD like nothing else I've heard under $50k. A 6.1 system with a pair of Belles for Front Effects Speakers... put 'em in a 30' free standing one and a half story building with sides that let out the long waves... and you have a realism that few mortals experience. Yep... Klipschorns really rock... and, like my fellow Klipschers are telling you... they reveal every bad note and poor technique on a CD, DVD, etc. Klipschorns are for good stuff!!! -HornEd

That Michael Jackson BAD CD is actually recorded very, very well! I use it to demo my car and home system on ocassion. Most of his albums are top notch recordings.

Like HornEd said realism like you have never experienced. I don't have 6 Khorn's but I do have 4 in the same room with a La Scala center and '62 Cornwall rear centers and two 15" Velodyne servo subs and talk about a moving experience. Were talking 9 15" woofers in the same room.

----------------

On 6/29/2005 11:32:17 AM DeanG wrote:

Bad recordings sound bad on
anything,
that's why they're called 'bad recordings'.

----------------

Now that depends on what is bad about the recording...

for example, I have a celldweller CD which musicially is very amazing and I love it, but it's so freaken compressed that I can't listen to it for very long on my Chorus II's because it's way too fatiguing. Yet on my old marantz 940's it barely noticeable and in the car it just sounds amazing. I've also got an old "Surfin USA" recording, which musically I love but it probably has the worst recordings of anything I own. All my nightwish and finding philip sounds like utter crap on khorns...totally unbearable, yet it sounds beyond amazing on Chorus II's and cornwalls (and marantz 940's). Even the car sounded better than the khorns! I've got a Best of 3 Dog Nite by MCA that sounds really very awful on khorns yet I can't get enough of it on any other speakers (in fact, I often use it for calibrating PA's when people are around and I can't use funky noises).

It's wierd because I have a long list of music that doesn't sound good on khorns yet it sounds just fine on many other speakers in all sorts of less than ideal environments...I don't know what kind of music you guys are listening to, but I think I just have to accept that khorns aren't the speaker for my tastes.

Well, Doctor, it would be metaphysically absurd to dispute what you hear, so I won't. From your discription, I suspect I'd do without those disks or play them on Bose.

I consider "post" as part of "recording" and consider too much compression to be a bad recording.

In general, your experiences sound to me like what I LIKE about 'horns. As to what kind of music I listen to, it is all kinds meeting the 4 points made earlier. That includes acoustic recordings made as far back as 1918, all forms of jazz, all periods of classical, ethnic, rock, pop...I've no limits as long it meets those 4 points. When it does, it sounds BEST on 'horns.

That's my experience, and I am grateful for it.

Dave

k-horns do require careful selection of source and amplification to sound their best, did I miss the post where you said what your other equipment was? that said I LOVE my klipschorns with rock, I listen to everything from classic rock (stones, zepp) to modern stuff like RATM and everything in between it all sounds great through my klipschorns. k-horns are the top of the line for a reason....will corns sound better to you? that will depend more on your equipment and room and your individual taste (as mentioned by drwho)...best regards, tony