Out of my brain...

rplace

...on the five fifteen.

Just noticed that this post will be my 5:15 post and I love The Who. Got me to thinking. Any other Who fans out there? Anybody catch the Royal Albert Hall DVD concert? Isnt it great when Pete tells the guy heckling in the audience to F-Off?

5:15

Girls of fifteen

Sexually knowing

The ushers are sniffing

Eau-de-cologning

The seats are seductive

Celibate sitting

Pretty girls digging

Prettier women.

Magically bored

On a quiet street corner

Free frustration

In our minds and our toes

Quiet stormwater

M-m-my generation

Uppers and downers

Either way blood flows.

Inside outside. Leave me alone.

Inside outside. Nowhere is home.

Inside outside, Where have I been?

Out of my brain on the five fifteen.

On a raft in the quarry

Slowly sinking.

On the back of a lorry

Holy hitching.

Dreadfully sorry

Apple scrumping.

Born in the war

Birthday punching.

He man drag

In the glittering ballroom

Gravely outrageous

In my high heel shoes

Tightly undone

They know what they're showing

Sadly ecstatic

That their heroes are news.

Why should I care?

I LOVE Quadrophenia.

That's one of my "desert island" discs, and one that I have always had on the favorites list (as opposed to some titles that get rested for periods of time).

This album ended up linking one of my favorite old bands to a newer favorite (Phish). The first time I saw Phish live was at a 1995 Halloween performance at Rosemont Horizon, an arena just outside of Chicago. Part of the gig was a "musical costume"/tribute, where the band peformed another band's album in it's entirety, with no advance notice as to what that album would be - as the middle set of a three set peformance.

The band spent the entire first set dropping hints between and during songs that it was to be "Thriller" (by you know who) as the band certainly had a quirky sense of humor. But when the rolling ocean sounds began emanating from the stage for set two, I nearly launched into orbit. That performance made me a fan of Phish for life. Following the set three, they encored with "My Generation", then promtly trashed all of the instruments to complete the tribute, and handed the pieces over to the fans in the front rows - six hours after the show began. I think it took about a month to find my brain after that show.

The Who was more or less "off the road" at that time, having not toured since the '89-90 tour. About 8 months after that Phish gig, I get word that The Who is performing in Chicago on Halloween night, 1996, where they are billed to perform - you guessed it - Quadrophenia. I always joked that Pete probably got PO'ed and decided that there's nothing better than the real thing 2.gif It was nice to do Quadrophenia live in its entirety one more time1.gif

The Who is one of my favorites and Quadrophenia is my favorite from them. I used to have the album but thanks to an EX-girlfriend with a gambling problem I lost all of them. The cd doesn't seem as dynamic to me. I love listening to it nice and loud. Keith Moon's drumming blows me away. Think I'll have to watch the movie again one of these days.