Klipschhorn Corner Speakers

I live in Glasgow, Kentucky and looking to buy used pair of Klipschhorn corner speakers. I never see any for sale on Ebay or Audiogon in Kentucky. Most I see on Ebay say no shipping, pick up only. Willing to pay up to $2,500.00. I just listened to a pair at friends house over the week end and sounded awesome. He got a steal on a pair as the people were moving and had to sell quick. He only paid $900.00 for 30 year old pair of klipsch corner horn speakers. They look and sound great. If anyone hears any for sale in my area, please let me know. My email is dave881@hotmail.com. Thanks. David.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David,

We'll have you some speakers before long, and I'll even help you move them! With a $$ range like that to work with, you can probably be pretty picky about the veneers and vintage. I'm partial to 1976 vintage myself. If you get a pair of '76ers I'll teach you the secret handshake! 3.gif

Later,

Forrest (aka woodog)

btw, this is the crazy group of folks who have taught (and continue to teach) me about Klipsch and hi-fi in general. 9.gif

be careful though, they're really really good at spending other people's money! LOL!

Actually 1980 would be a better vintage since those would have the soldered terminal K-55V's in them and still utilize the "AA" network before Klipsch went to the AK network series and K-55M driver.

These just popped up in Maryville, TN - they look real nice! Approximately 192.7 miles from you. Very doable! 1997 models in Oak Oil.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61378&item=5787514713&rd=1

Hello David,

So you are about to start the journey.... Good for you!

Actually K-Horns do come up on eBay on a regular basis. But there is little you can do about the shipping problem. Each cabinet weighs about 160lbs and, as you saw, they are big! You may need to rent/borrow a truck. The price you mentioned is certainly realistic. However you might be pleasantly surprised and find some much cheaper. I know I was able to get mine for about half price due to the size and also since the market is rather limited (not everyone can put these in their home or have an accomodating girl friend). As such, deals do happen.

One strategy is to place a "want to buy" in Audiogon in hopes that someone wants to sell theirs but has been put off by the hassle. It is worth a shot. The biggest issue on determining the value is their CONDITION (cosmetic predominatly, since the drivers are fairly robust) and also LOCATION (once you factor in the cost & effort for deleivery). Some will quibble about the version of the mid range driver (K-55 V vs M) and the crossover (A vs AA for the older models). However, those issues can be remedied and are not major problems (given the big picture: you are about to get a fantastic system).

Also, in my opinion, do not spend a great deal of worry about which amp and pre-amp etc to use - with one caveat, they need to be quiet components since the cabinets WILL reveal any hiss and distortion. However, they do not require much power. What you would need to worry about is whether your room is sufficiently large and has a pair of corners to place the cabinets into. If two corners are not available, then you would need to construct a "false corner". These are not always unattractive and can be simple to construct. There are many threads about this issue.

Speaker placement is a big deal, a much bigger deal than the other components (if they are quiet).

Good luck and let us know how your journey goes

-Tom

----------------

On 7/6/2005 11:24:33 AM Frzninvt wrote:

How could you not want to give these poor guys a loving home.

----------------

David, these are EXACTLY what you should be looking for! They are recent and apparently beautifully kept, and have the lovely Klipsch oak grain, mirror-image matched on each one, and matched between the two -- AND they have the great classic design of the "B" style, with the stepped-in insert between the tops and bottoms. You can't do better!

Larry

David,

I forgot to mention (in case you were not aware) the top portion of the K-Horn will detach from the bottom (bass bin). It is held with a few wing nuts. That will certainly help when moving them. That is why GARYMD mentioned that they can be transported in a minivan.

-Tom

Those Oak Khorns are beautiful. I had commented about them in 2 channel before I saw David's post here. From the pictures they look like brand new.

Like Tom says you want to feed them a steady diet of clean amplification. Even after almost thirty years, they will still please you.

Good luck!

Rick

Well if you miss out on the Oak Oil's here just popped up another pair right in your neck of the woods. Strangely enough 1976 models!

Looks like they were updated with all Klipsch parts at some point since they have the K-77M, K-55M and the newer AK-2 network and the bass bin door with the banana inputs on it since they did not come with that in 1976.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61378&item=5788722842&rd=1

I think someone up there is looking out for you.

These are up too $2,025.00 and reserve still has not been met. What do you think his reserve is? A new pair of 1976 horns, #5788722842, has just come up on ebay and is closer in Lexington, Ky. This might be better for me. They look good on pic. What do you think? Thanks. David.

I see that the ones in Lexington, KY also have a reserve. I would think around $2500 would be the reserve, but alot of people are greedy. Some sellers will reveal the reserve to you if you ask nicely. Both are nice I guess it boils down to which pair matches your decor better and what the cost is.

I guess I think I see little veneer and grill cloth blemishes (besides all the dust) in the closeup pics on the walnut oils from Ky. While the oak oils don't have similar close-up pics, they look very good and I think 200 miles is not too far to get mint K's, especially at that price. Perhaps closer-up pics of the oaks are needed.

Larry

The walnut pair look really nice too although as Larry said, there does seem to be a ding or two.

What's up with the grill cloth? I'm not sure I've ever seen brown grill cloth on top with black side cloth. Kind of like a two-toned LeBaron with a landau roof and corinthian leather.10.gif

Gary is right the grill cloth must have been changed on top to match the decor. I would guess about the same time they did the upgrade with new drivers, network and wiring.

As Larry stated the 1997 models with the AK-3 networks would be more desireable to me despite the distance. The graining on the front is unique, I have a pair of '88 Oak Oils and the graining on mine is very different but nice none the less. I would easily pay close to $3K for the newer ones, they have the K-401K composite horns and the AK-3 is a desireable network.

I know, decisions, decisions. 9.gif

----------------

On 7/11/2005 3:20:32 PM Frzninvt wrote:

As Larry stated the 1997 models with the AK-3 networks would be more desireable to me despite the distance. The graining on the front is unique, I have a pair of '88 Oak Oils and the graining on mine is very different but nice none the less. I would easily pay close to $3K for the newer ones, they have the K-401K composite horns and the AK-3 is a desireable network.

I know, decisions, decisions

----------------

with your budget, you can be both picky and patient. The newer ones will fetch the extra $$, the older, reworked '76 models don't grab me for some reason.

however, both pairs will sound glorious (if the reworking of the '76s is done well). when I got my pair, I was disappointed that they didn't have the spacer between the bass bin and upper section. Funny how the sound makes you overlook physical flaws. 2.gif

also, remember that a one day road trip to wherever to pick them up is nothing in comparison to the 30+ years of enjoyment you'll get out of them.

patience,

Forrest