Should I replace brass jumpers with ROMEX?

nicholtl

Hey, just a quick question. I've noticed people saying they've replaced the brass jumpers on back of their speakers with copper wire. However, many have said they've experienced excellent results with stranded copper wire, as in regular 12 AWG speaker cable etc. Yet I read it's best to use unstranded copper wire, such as Romex.

Has anyone tried either, and does anyone have an educated opinion?

Even if you wanted to, to replace the jumper with manageable wire that exhibits the same or greater/better surface area and impedance characteristics in such a short run is prohibative at best. And any potential benefits would be probably be miniscule at best... May I suggest that you consider this issue solved for the time being! But of course you are always free to do whatever you choose!

(& in a vain attempt at humor....)

Actually I would rather enjoy watching someone try to replace the jumpers with Romex!

Of course you could always braid Romex into a 1/2-3/4" long Litz configuration if we desire the ultimate response characterisitics (and maximum entertainment value) !6.gif

But this all seems a bit like feeding peanut butter to a dog!

And mentioning dogs, here is another mystery of the universe!

Why is it that dogs can pant all day, but if you play with them and you hold their nose, they seem to forget that they can breath through their mouth!?

And to think that we spend so much of our time worrying about interconnects when there are Real problems to be solved!9.gif

2.gif9.gif11.gif

"Hey, just a quick question. I've noticed people saying they've replaced the brass jumpers on back of their speakers with copper wire. However, many have said they've experienced excellent results with stranded copper wire, as in regular 12 AWG speaker cable etc. Yet I read it's best to use unstranded copper wire, such as Romex."

What sort of excellent results? Better sound?

Make jumpers out of some good clean copper, if brass sounds bad....doubt if I could ever tell.....

Hell, yank the binding posts of the amp and speakers and hardwire them with your favorite wire, jumpers too!

Don't forget about the crossover, and the wire from the crossover to the drivers.