KSW10

I recently bought the Quintet I bundled with the KSW10.I had set-up with an 80watts/channel 5.1 receiver. My problem lies with the sub giving out little bass volume. I made the right connections so far using a "Y" RCA cable to the sub out of the receiver. What would be the right adjustsments I should do to get the most of the bass from the sub. Help.

Thanks,

Ron

----------------

On 7/7/2005 11:23:05 PM aaron1274 wrote:

I recently bought the Quintet I bundled with the KSW10.I had set-up with an 80watts/channel 5.1 receiver. My problem lies with the sub giving out little bass volume. I made the right connections so far using a "Y" RCA cable to the sub out of the receiver. What would be the right adjustsments I should do to get the most of the bass from the sub. Help.

Thanks,

Ron
----------------

Umm.. stupid question - what's the volume level on the sub set to? Also, what is the subwoofer output on your reciever/amp set to?

Sub volume level is set to 10, I usually put the volume on the receiver at almost full to get most of the bass. I am new at this and would really need some assistance. Also, there are other knobs on the back of the sub which I am not that familiar of. I would appreciate if you could explain those stuff for me like the 0-180 phase and the Hz thing. I am used to the out of the box amplified speaker set up like the altec lansing 621. Thanks Mark for finding my query not stupid.

the KSW 10 should easily best the output on the 621's so my guess is the receiver is not giving out enough input to the subwoofer.

Make sure the crossover is at about 100hz. If that still doest work, rewire the front speaker write to pass into the subwoofer first using the binding posts, then back to your front speakers. You can borrow the speaker wires from the rears to accomplish this. Turn off the crossover and see if you can at least get loud bass to make sure the sub is not broken.

----------------

On 7/12/2005 8:03:50 PM aaron1274 wrote:

Sub volume level is set to 10, I usually put the volume on the receiver at almost full to get most of the bass.

----------------

I see your problem:

"The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board. Eleven, eleven, eleven."

"Oh, I see, and mostly, the amps go up to ten?"

"Exactly."

"Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?"

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it?"

"One louder."

"Why don't you just make ten louder, and make ten be the top number, and make that a little louder?"

"These go to eleven."

http://www.moviequotequiz.com/reviews/spinaltap.html

The 0-180 phase switch changes the polarity of the signal that the sub is playing. It is used to help get the sub working with the bass signal coming out of your main speakers. It is basically a "try it in both positions and see which you like better" switch. The Hz knob is used to set the low pass filter. The sub will "ignore" frequencies higher than the setting on this knob. The idea here is to set the sub to start working where the low end of your mains drop off. I am not familiar with the Quintet line so I can't help you on exactly where it should be set.

The first thing to do is make sure your sub is working. Did you try what Blackmesa suggested?

Thanks guys for the replies. I did not try what Blackmesa was suggesting coz' I know the sub is working,I ain't getting much of what I expected I guess, to imagine a 10 inch sub can do compared to the 6.5 of the Altec Lansing 621. I guess I'm expecting my room to rumble and thump in big bass sound that would come from the KSW10 sub. My room is small and not acoustically treated but I could hear good bass from the Altec 621 then. Anyway, will check again the connections and do your suggestions and see if there's any difference. By the way, do you think guys that the logitech Z-680 is better than the Klipsch Quintet w/KSW10 sub? just wondering.

----------------

On 7/14/2005 7:57:39 PM aaron1274 wrote:

By the way, do you think guys that the logitech Z-680 is better than the Klipsch Quintet w/KSW10 sub? just wondering.

----------------

I think that the Klipsch Quintet with the KSW-10 subwoofer would sound better over a z680 computer speaker system. Even tho I have a z-680 with a great sound card, in my opinion nothing can beat home audio speakers.

----------------

On 7/13/2005 9:57:24 PM scriven wrote:

I am not familiar with the Quintet line so I can't help you on exactly where it should be set.

----------------

The Quintet II System is made up of four very small satellites and one center of comparable size. The 3.5" woofers do not produce below 100 Hz for the satellites and 120 Hz for the center. The KSW 10 is designed to produce no more than 120 Hz at the maximum low-pass setting. Therefore, to reduce the loss of audible response and maximize performance, the maximum low-pass crossover setting should be selected (this can also be accomplished by activating the LFE switch).

Their is no question that the KSW 10 is the right match for that setup. I highly doubt the new KSW 10 is malfunctioning, but it is a possibility. What I suggest, in addition to the crossover setting specified above, is that you: turn the gain down a little on the subwoofer, so you do not harm the driver (set to approx 3/4 level); be certain the HT receiver indicates that it is sending an LFE signal; check all DSP modes, in some cases the DSP mode is set in 2 channel, in which case the sub is not included; location could be a factor, try experimenting with the location, placing the subwoofer in different spots of the room; finally, check your inputs/outputs to determine which component is failing, try connecting the sub to the tape output or audio/video output of the receiver or any other audio divice with standard "RCA" audio outputs, if the sub does not work on any of the outputs you connect it to, you likely have an issue with the sub, if it does work, the issue is the HT receiver.

Hope this helps!

Any other questions, I would be more than happy to give them a shot.

Sincerely,

Nicholas

Aaron,

If you purchased the KSW-10 sub new from auth dealer, they will be able to help if you need service. The KSW-10 is no longer manufactured as it was replaced with the new Synergy Series models Sub-10 and Sub-12, which have more powerful BASH digital hybrid amps.

I'd suggest returning to the dealer and have them check out the amp to make sure functioning at factory specs. The KSW-10 should "thump" in most small/medium size rooms.

• Like 1

I got my quintet and KSW10 here in Philippines on a sale from an authorized dealer. It was some of the remaining units they have had for display then but nevertheless, they gave me one year warranty. Got them at around $268( I hope I got a bood buy for these :)). The KSW10 is doing a lot better now with the settings suggested by Nicholas and the others. Thanks a lot for the help.

:)