Dual 15 inch Corner Bass Bin - Cornscala dbb

jwc

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

I am updating this thread with somewhat of its completion.

The dbb project is essentially done. My equipment

This was a big accomplishment for me. The idea again was given to me by IB Slammin. I want to reiterate the reason for doing this design.

I wanted to build a bass reflex speaker with the bass sound of a Cornwall and achieve high SPL. I also needed to accommodate just over 12 cubic feet for the bass bin alone to port dual K33's or Crites woofers to 45Hz. This is why the cabinet is shaped as it is. It is basically two 6 Cu foot cabinets with a trapezoid back end to hide volume. The front appears somewhat like a Khorn. The height and width are just about like the khorn. I also steered away from the big rectangle box cabinet to eliminate resonance and internal reflections.

Well, not exactly complete.............

Dec 15th of last year JC came to Arkansas to visit for a few days. The guy rented a commercial van and drove 19hrs each way to bring me the dbb's.(unbelievable)

I wrapped them in swaddling clothes and stored them in the garage. About two months ago, I brought them inside and prepared to load them. Think my wife was pleased? I cannibalized my Alcorns for their Altec 511b/902-16a mids, JBL 2404 baby cheek tweeters, and bought four of the Bob Crites original spec K33 remakes with cast frames.(Eminence) more to follow.....

post-13095-1381937452037_thumb.jpg

I wanted to cross around 400hz with extreme slopes. A new network was needed, and the The Unmentionable One was kind enough to design a new circuit. The result was the ALK ESNdbb450 network. Now I had built a couple of B networks before, but nothing like these bad boys............

post-13095-138193745209_thumb.jpg

Dr. Funkinstine is not happy when not building crossover networks and offered to assemble them for me. I have the hands of a lumberjack with boxing gloves, and JC has the hands of.......a surgeon, so I had the truck load of parts shipped directly to the Funky One. Obviously, great attention was paid to cosmetics for out board use. I did cut the boards to fit inside the top hats for "dress up" occasions. (WAF) However, it is hard for me to hide art in a top hat.

post-13095-1381937452213_thumb.jpg

dbb disrobed.....

I have made some great friends at this place, and some are like family. Without them and their generosity of time, effort, and knowledge, it is unlikely that I would be able to enjoy the quality sound that I listen to. One simply doesn't walk into an audio store and buy some of this stuff. Guys, you have my undying gratitude.

Special thanks to:

JW Cullison ALK Engineering Bob and Michael Crites and of course PWK for the CW

tc

post-13095-1381937452483_thumb.jpg

When JC brought them to the Hope gathering one year I thought they should have been on stage with the band so they could really breathe.

GREAT WORK!!!!

Ian,

Man, that room in Hope was the pitts. If the dbb's really sounded like that, I would have used them for fire wood as soon as JC left.[8o|]

Having had several networks in them, these are by far the best. I had been listening to the same horns and drivers with ESN600's. When I cranked them up the first time, it wasn't the low end that I noticed first, believe it or not. It was the midrange. Just wonderful. (not to say that the LF doesn't kick my bu!!) The bass is much tighter than I imagined....as is.....

I recieved the first shipment of OC 705 for room treatments today. Looking forward to tuning the room so I can "lay the spurs to them"[;)]