Dual 15 inch Corner Bass Bin - Cornscala dbb

jwc

----------------

On 7/13/2005 12:14:40 PM DrWho wrote:

----------------

On 7/13/2005 7:50:10 AM jwcullison wrote:

Someone give me advice on some simple test equip I can purchase to "test" this thing.

----------------

Do you have a laptop or a computer nearby? You can get a software RTA relatively cheap:

And then I believe Behringer sells a testing mic for like $60 or something like that which is flat from 10Hz-30kHz or something close. I think formica has one actually, perhaps he'll chime in. Ok, here's a link:

----------------

That mic also requires phantom power so this mixer would be good to use with it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/631238/

Bob

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow, thanks for catching that phantom power thing.

I know it's more expensive but this would be an alternative to getting a mixer:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=245-032($90). It should give you a lot cleaner sound...not sure if it'd be worth it for taking measurements though. I did a quick search, but couldn't find any dedicated mic-pre for cheaper (or anyone else even selling them).

agghhh! Isobarik isn't what I meant. I'll have to look it up. I won't even try to explain it.

DrWho,

Sorry I didn't catch the 1/4 wavelength bit in your long post. My apologies. The woofers definitely need to be in a vertical array though, as you pointed out.

Nite nite. Time for me to get some sleep.

Bruce

"Isn't Two 4 ohm woofers and two 2.5mH inductors (one to each woofer) the same as your example B? In otherwords, each woofer has its own inductor and wired individually into the network (no parallel or series)."

Sure, two woofers each with its own 2.5mH inductor is the same as using one inductor to feed both woofers.

Isobaric is a waste of time, money, and amplifier power.

With a Linkwitz Transform and two drivers in the same sized box that you were going to use for Isobaric, the sensitivity above Fs will be 6dB higher. Push-pull slot loading will reduce the 3rd harmonic and FMD as well as the 2nd harmonic that Isobaric does.

----------------

On 7/14/2005 1:42:09 AM djk wrote:

Isobaric is a waste of time, money, and amplifier power.

----------------

Yup. I'm not sure how that had gotten into my brain. Wasn't what I meant. Somethime after school starts and things settle down at home and work, I'll remember what it was I meant. 15.gif Maybe.

Since the first test cabinet sounded well, I went ahead and made the second cabinet. This time with the HF section, which is not attached at this point. Right now the width and depth are the same as a Khorn. The height is 50 3/4 inches with a 3/4 inch riser between the HF section and the Bass bin. The HF section is about one inch taller than the Khorn's (12 inches internal height). This should accept a 511b, Trachorn, or K401. Also an assortment of tweeters can be used as well.

There are no "feet" yet". Haven't chosen which ones to use.

jc

01240002a.jpg

post-16499-13819267177186_thumb.jpg

For you Khorn folks. Could I get suggestions for the height and width of the riser between the HF section and the Bass bin.

IBSlammin was tellin me that the 1 inch riser looks very nice. How wide should it be?

Thanks

jc

riser.jpg

post-16499-13819267178076_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Although it is entirely WAY COOLER to design your own (as above), I am reminded of these old Altec 80Hz fc corner horns.

Note that this is in NO WAY intended to lessen the accomplishment AND satisfaction of designing and building your own!

This just seems like an appropriate thread to post these, too.

Plans follow...

DM2.gif

post-13458-13819267178306_thumb.jpg

Geez BS, Lackin some audio luster for Friday night. Man, haven't heard from you in awhile. WSUP.

Dman, interesting you should post that. I am going to demo (A/B) an Altec flare to this setup.

09010001.jpg

post-16499-13819267181276_thumb.jpg

Now the bass bin to the left is ready to finish. It is anded down to 220 grit. The one on the left is a spacked mess. The angled joints are smoooooth on the left one.

This looks messy but very smooth with a sharp angle. There is a mix of glue and filler there.

09010002.jpg

post-16499-13819267183266_thumb.jpg

Here is the two HF sections with a 511b sitting in one. there is plenty of room. It may not look like it bit there will be 1 1/2 inches above and below the motorboard cutout. This HF is taller than a Khorns HF.

Again....will A/B the 511 vs the K401 before installation.

09010005.jpg

post-16499-13819267185916_thumb.jpg

The build is taking a little longer than I had expected. This is because the are somewhat large and I have to get them out side to sand them.

They are looking great and I expect them to look and sound better than my Cornscalas (non dbb).

I would bet I'll have completed these by late August. I'm getting ready to go to the beach and I will lose a week.

jc

09010007.jpg

post-16499-13819267189456_thumb.jpg