Dual 15 inch Corner Bass Bin - Cornscala dbb

jwc

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 8/22/2005 1:17:41 AM michael hurd wrote:

Looking pretty mint so far! Looks like the finishing part turned out pretty sweet, for a first attempt.
2.gif

----------------

The bottom bass bins did turn out well. I will have to touch up the top sections. These are what I did first. They are a touch "splattered". Didn't you say sand block with 320 grit? Then maybe I'll apply 3 thin coats.

I went ahead and hooked up the 511 w/o the rubber washer. These are running off my MAC MX119 and Carver 1.0. Eventually I will change the amp to the MAC MC252.

My wife and I listened to a couple of songs during my lunch break. My wife described the K401 as "louder" and More "harsh". 511 was "warmer".

My opinion: The K401 sounds great but comparing to the 511, it is a little "honky". I have never used that word to describe a sound before but that was the first thing that leaped to mind. To my surprise, it was louder than the 511 side (unlike previous descriptions).

This is just off the first few songs. Will listen more tonight.

----------------

On 8/22/2005 1:23:09 PM michael hurd wrote:

The 400/401 has an undersized mouth, and requires a baffle. If you do not have a baffle, you are not comparing apples to apples. Try repeating the test with a simple plywood baffle that is sized to fit in the openings of your top section.

----------------

Serious?

I have never heard this before. Does it matter how it is mounted...such as flush or behind the baffle? In the La scala it is behind the baffle; in my Cornscala, it is flush or in front of the baffle. Is that...OK?6.gif

My wife was looking over my shoulder when I checked out the latest pics and her only response was that "he should have painted the inside too so the holes (Ports) weren't so obvious." Obviously appearance is her primary consideration! All I could think of was Dang I bet those sound awsome!

----------------

On 8/22/2005 3:28:41 PM TommyC wrote:

My wife was looking over my shoulder when I checked out the latest pics and her only response was that "he should have painted the inside too so the holes (Ports) weren't so obvious." Obviously appearance is her primary consideration! All I could think of was Dang I bet those sound awsome!

----------------

You realize that when I'm really done, there will be a grill cover with black fabric. This will cover the woofers and the "holes". The mid and tweet drivers will have a grill and cabinet as well. My wife would never let me keep them the way they are.

Tell your wife to check back later. It will have WAF approval.

And yes...they do sound awesome.

jc

----------------

On 8/22/2005 1:23:09 PM michael hurd wrote:

The 400/401 has an undersized mouth, and requires a baffle. If you do not have a baffle, you are not comparing apples to apples. Try repeating the test with a simple plywood baffle that is sized to fit in the openings of your top section.

----------------

Apples to apples would require a baffle for both horns, wouldn't it?2.gif

Terry

I've been messing around with some of these horns here for quite some time, only 700's and recently departing 400's: ya know, playing around with them. Honky appears to be like an empty sound. I'd betcha that the baffle will bring it around. They sure do look nice, though. Watch out for those windows! Which horn is heavier JC?

Bob, I will have to check out that link tonight. No audio on the work computer. For some reason, I couldn't get onto the forum last night.

Couldn't find a "washer" here locally. Called Klipsch and nobody knew what the heck I was talking about. I also wanted some L-brackets for the horns and that went nowhere as well.

Right now, I have the dual 511's hooked up. Sounds smooth and nice. However, I don't think they sound as "open and forward" as the 401. Again, not as loud either. I guess I will have to mount it on a baffle to hear the real deal.

BS, the 401 is a composite vs this 511b being metal. The 511b's are very heavy!

JC,

The recording I am suggesting is Henry Mancini's "Baby Elephant Walk". You can burn it to a CD if you don't have a way to directly play it on your Cornscalas from the computer. It is an intense workout for a midrange horn.

I have some of the horn to driver gaskets.

Bob

----------------

On 8/23/2005 8:31:56 AM BEC wrote:

JC,

The recording I am suggesting is Henry Mancini's "Baby Elephant Walk". You can burn it to a CD if you don't have a way to directly play it on your Cornscalas from the computer. It is an intense workout for a midrange horn.

I have some of the horn to driver gaskets.

Bob

----------------

I see

Yes, they are hooked to a computer. I will play throught the Cornscalas and the Cornscala dbb's tonight. I hope I know what I'm listening for.

Will this prove some sort of evidence that the K401 will sound different on a Baffle or is this the way to compare the 511 with the 401. I will probably suk it up and cut out a baffle just for this testing.

Bob, I will contact you soon regarding the gaskets. The ones you send aren't exactly a perfect fit for the Selenium horn adapters for the 511/K55 combo. I'm wondering if I can just rid of the gaskets all together for this setup. The adapters are plastic anyhow.

JC,

The only gaskets I have are the Klipsch ones for the K-55 to K400 or K-401. I don't know if you need them for the adapter or not. I know that they are important to the K-401 and K-400, The response is a bit different without them.

The file posted is just loaded with midrange energy. Should should sound very smooth but intense.

Bob

Cut some felt to the needed size and there ya go! I got some at a fabric store (it's real cheap, too) and use it all over the place where gasketing or vibration reduction is needed.

That's what they used to use back in the old days, before all this petroleum-based foam stuff came online.

DM2.gif