Dual 15 inch Corner Bass Bin - Cornscala dbb

jwc

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 8/23/2005 2:46:27 PM D-MAN wrote:

Cut some felt to the needed size and there ya go! I got some at a fabric store (it's real cheap, too) and use it all over the place where gasketing or vibration reduction is needed.

That's what they used to use back in the old days, before all this petroleum-based foam stuff came online.

DM
2.gif

----------------

That would work, or a layer/layers of rubber.

Terry

----------------

On 8/23/2005 2:59:43 PM IB Slammin wrote:

Bob and JC,

I wonder why the washers you have don't work?

Mine fit like socks on a duck.

Terry

----------------

More like "socks on a rooster".

Guys, mine will fit just as Terry's picture. But here is the difference in the "fitting" between the two horns. On the K401, the width of the gasket is perfect and it sits on a mouth of the same size. Now with the adapter on the 511b, it is different. The width of the gasket is 2x wider than the rim of plastic on the adapter. Therefore there will be "gasket material" that is extra that will not abut two surfaces when the driver is threaded in place. Terry, pull out that gasket and compare the mouth of the K400 (if you still have it) vs the adapter for the 511b. They are different.

Now whether that extra "gasket material" makes a difference or not...I don't know.

Heck I'm still "Baffled" that I need a Baffle for my K401 to compare my green beans to squash. I'm gonna have to cut more wood tonight.

----------------

On 8/23/2005 5:25:49 PM BEC wrote:

JC,

Perhaps the 11/16 hole in the gasket is important to properly load the K-55V.

Bob

----------------

BoB,

James is an astute rascal.

I noticed the difference, but never gave it a second thought.

Is it possable that an 11/16" hole could put to bed, the K401/511b debate?

Terry

This comparing thing took longer than I expected. Got a baffle on the K401. Mounted it like a La Scala.

Did the baffle make a difference? Maybe. I must say the K401 doesn't sound "honky" anymore.

The below posts are comparing the K55v/K401 with "gasket" vs the K55v/511b without "gasket". Will have to compare the 511b w/ and w/o gasket later.

Bob:

Nice demo track. Has a variety of horn instruments playing. Played the sample several times (about 10) on each horn. My wife and I agreed the 511b was better. Of note: The K401 was hands down way better with the saxophone. Thought this was strange. The tuba and trombones better on the 511b. The oboe was a toss up.

For about an hour I played anything from Santana, Godsmack, Little Jon, Usher, Gwen Stephani, Depeche Mode, NIN, and more funk that I am too embarrased to mention. Strange enough, the K401 won most songs. I was able to dial a "balance control" to go from one speaker to the other. I thought of switching the inputs (in case of possible input differences) but the room is pretty symmetrical and there were songs where the 511b was better. Typically, the 401 was more "open". The "loudness" was the same. Most of the time the 401 was more "crisp". Sometimes it was too crisp getting close to harsh. My Carver m1.0t amp is known to be a SS amp to which harshness can happen. I also thought the "voice" was better on the 401. SOMEBODY SLAP ME! The K401 with better "voice" than the "VOICE OF THE THEATRE" horn. Can't be right. Could these results be the difference a "gasket" can make.

I played the Baffle game Hurd. Bob email me with a cost to send me two gaskets with shipping. I will Paypal you.

The bottom line is this. These speakers sound unbelievable. The fast low bass is a chest thumper. We kept having to put the "balance" in the middle, start songs over, and turn it up so we could get a little funky. My wife told me to hurry and finish these so we can have a party.

jc

01160001-small.jpg

post-16499-13819267195706_thumb.jpg

JC,

Let me give you another couple of files. The first one has some killer bass. There is stuff down to around 5 hz in this file. Take a close up look at the woofer while it is playing. Be careful out there.

http://bandksound.com/smbaca.mp3

The next one just has an occasional single hit of a bass drum. Useful for seeing about any resonances. This bass drum is so low in frequency that it is almost inaudible on most speakers. I bet it comes booming out on your Cornscalas.

http://www.bandksound.com/gvbgetup.mp3

Bob Crites

----------------

On 8/23/2005 9:52:05 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

JC- check out my 'paint' thread on the mods forum. I've made copies of the metal logo plate from Industrial LS. They would look great on your black monster DBB Cornscalas.

Michael

----------------

Michael, looked there. Not sure what you are speaking of. Post it here or email me at jwcullison@yahoo.com

JC,

Yes, the Usher one is good to switch back and forth between a Cornscala and a Lascala to show that the bass is too low for the Lascala to handle. I am a bit surprised that you did not find lots of bass in Abracadbra, I see so much cone movement with that one that it is frightening. A good half inch movement at moderate power. Most of what is doing the cone movement is too low in frequency to hear but is impressive to watch.

Bob

Bob,

The interesting thing is this. For instance, when I play the Usher song or any others such as your 5hz one, the damn cones don't even move. My chest is getting thumped and I go and feel the woofer and it isn't even moving. In fact, I've never seen the woofers really move on the dbb's.

One could argue that the woofers might be runnin at a higher dB than the tweet and mid. Don't feel like spendin the money to prove it.

JC,

Could be that your amp is just not putting out the stuff below 20 hz or so perhaps on purpose. No way to hear it, just moves the cone around a lot. I also don't detect much cone movement with your Usher song and that bass is really there. It is only the stuff you can hear that counts anyway.

Bob

----------------

On 8/23/2005 10:49:12 PM BEC wrote:

JC,

Could be that your amp is just not putting out the stuff below 20 hz or so perhaps on purpose. No way to hear it, just moves the cone around a lot. I also don't detect much cone movement with your Usher song and that bass is really there. It is only the stuff you can hear that counts anyway.

Bob

----------------

That's what I was going to say too...a lot of pro amps have a 30Hz rumble filter on them cuz mics on stage and all that can easily pickup 10Hz tones which are inaudible, but destroy amps and speakers. There should be a switch on the back of your amp (or a series of switches that look like a circuit breaker) that should be labelled for turning this feature off. There's plenty of sub 30Hz material on those songs that you're missing, which your dual woofers should have no problem replicating.

Wouldn't have to be a 'pro' amp to have a rumble filter. Sure can play havoc with your woofers.

I've had wind noise on a mic cause preamps to clip so badly that the signal just dropped out like it had been switched off.

Bruce

----------------

On 7/12/2005 10:52:18 PM jwcullison wrote:

So what does this do.....I just don't see how I could ever buy another pair of HiFi speakers.

----------------

There you go! Ruined for life, but it's a good kind of ruined... welcome to the club!

DM2.gif

----------------

On 8/24/2005 8:18:06 AM DrWho wrote:

----------------

On 8/23/2005 10:49:12 PM BEC wrote:

JC,

Bob

----------------

That's what I was going to say too...a lot of pro amps have a 30Hz rumble filter on them cuz mics on stage and all that can easily pickup 10Hz tones which are inaudible, but destroy amps and speakers. There should be a switch on the back of your amp (or a series of switches that look like a circuit breaker) that should be labelled for turning this feature off. There's plenty of sub 30Hz material on those songs that you're missing, which your dual woofers should have no problem replicating.

----------------

I hear what you guys are saying. This might be true. This Carver amp was made in the early 80's. I just have it for testing. It has no feature you are mentioning.

For clarification, the woofers are thumping with a great sound. I believe you guys are probably right and that I will get more low end from a better amp. Will make the switch and do the testing agin.

I will also get gaskets for the 511's and also put a baffle on the 511's to get the appples to apples.