Heritage gathering in Hope

Tony Reed

What a good time! I'm busy at work right now, and got in tired late last night, but just let me say that the 'event' was much fun. There were lots of different equipment there and even more types of music there.

I definitely have to add my YES to the crossover crazies, the effect on my '76 Cornwalls was immediate and very satisfying. Prior to having the crossover installed, Dee's Heresys made 'em sound rather sickly. Afterwards, there was wonderful clarity in the sound from top to bottom. We all had a good time sniffing the old crossovers.

I got to hear my Scott 208 against SSH's Lessard S.E.T., Dee's MK III's, and Seti's Canary Audio S.E.T. with a Merlin and with a Scott 130, a Phillips Universal CD player vs. a Tjoeb tube unit, and a good vinyl rig (Music Man?). My Scott lost in every case, but I still love it none the less! [:o] More impressions on all of this later when I have time to write it up.

The room at 'The Goat Roper' was acoustically wonderful.. few parallel surfaces and mostly wood. We even kept it below 90 db (surprising loud, even there) most of the time until the very end, where the last 10 songs or so pushed the 105 - 110 level. Fun stuff.

Good food, good drink, good friends, good tunes, good sound... what more could one ask for?

Woo

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a great time was had by all... and i'd like to thank all of you posting the detailed reviews and pictures for those of us who couldn't make it.

I got to hear my Scott 208 against SSH's Lessard S.E.T., Dee's MK III's, and Seti's Canary Audio S.E.T. with a Merlin and with a Scott 130, a Phillips Universal CD player vs. a Tjoeb tube unit, and a good vinyl rig (Music Man?). My Scott lost in every case, but I still love it none the less! [:o] More impressions on all of this later when I have time to write it up.

I'm not looking to start a war, but I'm curious if there was any SS compared to all the tubes?... If so which ones and how did they all compare?

Rob

Formica, we did not hear any of the stuff we brought on solid state however Roy was using a QSC (Industrial Pro Gear Amps) 350 WPC amp on the Heresy, Cornwall, LaScalla, Commercial Jubilee W/904 Tweeter and the Jubilee Pro W/402 tweeter in our demo at the lab and they all rocked but for my buying dollar (Roy's choice too!) the Jubilee Pro with crossovers for $4800.00 is the only way to go for large room 2 channel or mains on a large home theatre setup bar none[:D]

Now the riot ensues!!!!!

In photo 'New Xovers', that's Bob Crites' son Michael doing the install job on the Cornwalls. He has the same initials as me MDC, which is his handle here. Super nice guy, he does a lot of the build-out on the B&K networks. Said he built the AA/A's that I got for my LS's. Just wanted to give a photo credit and intro since he's kind of new around here.

btw, don't lay any money on the pool table when MDC is around. He'll take it.

It might not have been mentioned before, but Bob and Michael arrived in a pickup with hooked-up Heresies in the back seat. I think there was another member using the H's as car audio for the road trip.

Michael

I wanted to add that Daddy Dee brought a pair of post-crossover Heresies and Seadog had a pair of pre-crossover models. Somewhere in the early evening (before the drugs took hold) we hooked up the Scott preamp and monoblocks in MONO to one modified Heresy and one non-modified Heresy. This was a non-scientific study, but I'd say most could pretty clearly hear the difference and preferred the BEC modified models.

They were both original Heresies without any other mods.

And you should have seen the look on Woodog's face after his Cornwalls were transformed. The guy just gets completely motionless and serene when the music's just right. I've never seen anyone adjust speakers 1 degree at a time and get in the PERFECT sweet spot like he does. But the guy really enjoys his tunes when it's just right! Had to check to see if he was still breathing! LOL

Michael

Michael,

One small correction in giving credit. I believe both sets of Heresys heard in the crossover comparison were provided by Daddy Dee. My Heresy's stayed in the truck since there were already two pair present. Correct on the part about one being all stock and the other with a set of crossovers from me.

Bob

Michael,

One small correction in giving credit. I believe both sets of Heresys

heard in the crossover comparison were provided by Daddy Dee. My

Heresy's stayed in the truck since there were already two pair present.

Correct on the part about one being all stock and the other with a set

of crossovers from me.

Bob

The HBRs I brought are stock with BEC type E crossovers. The crossovers have probably been in the Heresys for two years.

See the Thread : Klipsch Museum Photos for my images from the Museum trip and early portion of the Factory tour.

Due to the extreme secrecy involved, film photographers like me were unprepared for the number of stunning sight to behold that day. Trey was good enough to loan me his digital camera (a Canon, no less) so that I could continue to record the events of the day. He will be making a slide show of those images when he returns to Indy next week.

Michael

Hey Dudes! I just got back home! What a lovely trip, man. It sounds kind of funny to refer to it as a family reunion (since I'd never met a one of you), but indeed that is how it felt, and I must thank you all for making this Californian feel extra welcome and comfortable in an already fini-friendly Arkansas. Y'all.

Especially, I would like to thank my good friends Dee and his lovely wife Jan for their generous hospitality. You two are rare individuals, and I most truly am thankful for our friendship. When are you guys coming out West??

Lee, thank you for having Dee and me into your home to listen to the most tweaked (and this weekend's best sounding...seriously) system I've probably ever heard. Also, I really appreciated your good work on the name tags (and the fact that you DID NOT let Trey handle them), and providing the NOS BS buttons and copies of "Dope From Hope" to use as door prizes. Oh, and give Hemi a lick for me. Since I do not know Paula so well, a hand shake would be the appropriate thing for you to pass onto her from me, if you please!

Tony, thank you for being the grease that got this hog going. I have no idea what I mean by that, except it has something to do with your willingness to help all of us to connect with the real Klipsch heritage. And I think I know how much you enjoy doing that. Cool.

Trey, thank you so much for once again pulling the strings (and yanking a few chains) to make this happen. The plant and lab tours FAR surpassed my expectations. I am still having dreams involving the anechoic chamber (and goats, but I will not go into detail here).

Roy, Chris, Ann, and Lee: Thank you so much for giving up a Saturday for us nuts. Your willingness to answer EVERY question posed, and to allow us into your workspace was unbelievable. As a carpenter, I was impressed with the work, and as a Klipsch owner, I felt proud (even if that sounds corny). Keep up the great work!!

And the rest of you, Michael, Michael, Bob, Seadog, Woodog, Kerry, Ian, Tim, Larry, Steve, Kriton, Heather, tkdamerica (who am I forgetting?): I can't wait until the next one!

Colter,

Yes you've got Woodog pegged. I have to re-adjust my Cornwalls, everytime he comes over here. Did he listen to anything with eyes closed? He is a marvel, though. Dead nuts on everything. I find myself checking with him on every audio decision I've been making lately. That looks like the newer even svelter Woo, he rides his bike until he pukes. Crites is a pool shark, eh?

BS

PS. Woo's comin over this week to check out my tube situation.

Heh, I am pretty sure Forrest even moved my chair a touch or two!

He definitely has the ear. Is he available for housecalls out of

state?

BTW, I will post some shots a little later (perhaps tomorrow) including my new avatar!

"Did he listen to anything with eyes closed?"

Oh, was that what Woodog was doing? I thought he was just one tired dude!

Just kidding Forrest, you kept us all on track, especially Saturday night!

Hey Fini, e-mail me the avatar you "created" for me when you get a chance!

David