Rock Star - INXS

jeffgeorge

Just checking to see if anyone else is watching this show. There is some good talent on there. It surprised me that INXS is willing to entertain the thought of a female lead singer. I like the idea myself.

I am usually not into the reality show scene, but this one has me interested.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've watched the first two installments and I found it interesting. Maybe it's because I've always liked INXS? Regardless, I'll continue watching for now. I like it better than 'American Idol' which I do not watch but have seen. I consider them to be two different types of shows.

I haven't watched it, so I can't comment on the content. However I feel it is a travisty to call the band INXS with anyone other than Micheal Hutchins. If the remaining members of the band want to start a new band call it something else. IMWO the name INXS should be left as it was. Not many bands have been able to pull this off with same name. Only ones that come to mind are AC/DC, Lynard Skynard. I'm sure there are more ,but in this case LEAVE IT ALONE.

Sorry for the rant,

Jeremy

Yeah, unfotunately that show is more into what the singer looks like than his or her singing ablility. A friends uncle, who just happens to be slightly overweight, tried out for the show. Hes been approached by many bands about his singing but didn't want to leave his current one. After they went their seperate ways he decided to try out for Rock Star because he figured he'd have a good shot. Little did he know that it was more a fasion show than a talent show. Then we all decided to ask ourselves... who would want to sing for INXS anyways, they suck.

I like the show. The backing band really rocks. The singers aren't bad, but it's mostly show. Chicks taking up in bands is old hat, look who 'replaced' Johnny Van Zant in Lyrnrd Skynrds- Dale Krantz. Sometimes its better to change gears entirely, when the shoes are just TOO big to fill. I do really like a couple of the singers they've had up there. The band INXS and Dave Navaro's comments sometimes right on, sometimes hilarious. IMHO, it's a much better formula than StarSearch pablum......

Michael

I've only seen the preview ads, so I can't comment on the actual show, although I must admit to entertaining a bit of scepticism towards all of these type of shows...

But regarding INXS (and anyone can provide more info regarding this as I have not kept up with them.) ...did a show with them circa 1986(? give or take) during their run and they seemed nice enough. But it would seem they have nothing to lose with this show since their lead singer committed suicide a few years back and they haven't been doing anything new to my knowledge. Seems like an opportunity to get a little more mileage, and hey, it seems a smart move on their part to me (especially as I don't HAVE to watch!) - but then again, I haven't kept up with them, and that not be fair to them.

But if their commentary is real, it could be fun.

And while on a tangent...

After all, most folks still do not realize the significance of Beavis and Butthead! They began as the FIRST 'mainstream' music/video reviewers to provide an alternative to the canned pans and rave reviews for material, and were the first to provide (long overdue) negative reviews. And its still a hoot to go back and watch reruns/videos of their REVIEWS and listen to them trash alot of prominant acts - saying what many legitimately felt but which was taboo to say in the mainstream media!

And many still don't realize that their weird penchants (fire, fire!) were not about some personal hangup, but rather were in direct response to the use of special effects in the all too absurd music videos!

Haven't seen the show. Used to love INXS, as a matter of fact I still do. But even when Michael was still alive they had pretty much run their course and were on the decline. So I lean to the "just leave it be" camp. Let's not cheapen the memory of what was once a really great band. In my view they were one of the few good one's of the 80's.

----------------

On 7/13/2005 12:25:20 PM capo72 wrote:

I haven't watched it, so I can't comment on the content. However I feel it is a travisty to call the band INXS with anyone other than Micheal Hutchins...

----------------

My sentiment exactly. If a ROCK band gets their lead singer in this manner, they become a POP Band in my book. The last pop band I liked was called "The Beatles." 2.gif Keep in mind this is coming from a Stones Fan. 11.gif

I personally didn't think INXS was on a decline and was sorry to see MH go. RIP dude.

----------------

On 7/13/2005 4:14:19 PM dragonfyr wrote:

After all, most folks
still
do not realize the significance of
Beavis and Butthead
! They began as the FIRST 'mainstream' music/video reviewers to provide an alternative to the canned pans and rave reviews for material, and were the first to provide (long overdue)
negative
reviews. And its still a hoot to go back and watch reruns/videos of their REVIEWS and listen to them trash alot of prominant acts - saying what many legitimately felt but which was taboo to say in the mainstream media!

And many still don't realize that their weird penchants (fire, fire!) were not about some personal hangup, but rather were in direct response to the use of special effects in the all too absurd music videos!

----------------

I gotta say, dragon, that this is an astounding piece of insight.

I'm still mad at B&B, though, for trashing one of the best bands time forgot, Faith No More...

My feeling is that if the band wants to find a new lead singer this way - let them. Not to mention the extra media hype they receive by doing it in the form of a reality show. A lot of young music listeners have probably never heard of INXS and this is a good way of exposing themselves to this demographic. I think they are onto something here.1.gif

By the way, take a look and listen to Deanna on this show - she is one heck of a singer, whether she becomes their new lead singer or not.

For those of you that were wondering:

The show airs 3 nights a week on CBS:

Mondays at 9:30PM ET/PT

Tuesdays at 10:00PM ET/PT

Wednesdays at 9:30PM ET/PT

The tremendously good back-up band is simply called: "The House Band".

It's easy to see why these guys sound so good. Just check out their credentials:

http://rockstar.msn.com/show/houseband - Pretty impressive stuff.

The show's official site: http://www.inxs.com/rockstarinxs/

For those wondering why INXS needs a new lead singer; Their original frontman, Michael Hutchence unfortunately committed suicide some time ago. The man had a stellar voice. -IMHO.

----------------

On 7/14/2005 8:20:33 PM picky wrote:

For those wondering why INXS needs a new lead singer; Their original frontman, Michael Hutchence unfortunately committed suicide some time ago. The man had a stellar voice. -IMHO.

----------------

Yes, in my view he is irreplaceable and I still think it should be left alone.

----------------

On 7/15/2005 5:03:52 PM SteelerFan wrote:

----------------

On 7/14/2005 8:20:33 PM picky wrote:

.... The man had a stellar voice. -IMHO.

----------------

Yes, in my view he is irreplaceable and I still think it should be left alone.

----------------

I agree (as stated above) completely. Maybe they should change the name of the group to "Somewhatlacking,"

I agree with Picky, that backup band ROCKS! MH died quite possibly the stupidest of rock star deaths. I think the show creates a buzz around the band's reunion that might just be the ticket. Love Dave Navarro's comments, altough he has nothing? to do with the band, he's the rockingest guy on talk tv today! AND he gets to do Carmen Electra- what a guy!

Michael

I could be way off base here, but I think this may be a similar situtation to the old band, 'The Guess Who'. Naturally, Burton Cummings was their original front man and they are just not the same without him (and Randy Bachman). They've tried numerous reconcilliations over the years but the in-fighting has practically been all out war. The reason they continue to use the name even without Cummings is that the bass player actually owns the name "The Guess Who", I believe that may be the case with INXS. One of the surviving members may own the name. It is my opinion that once they find their new lead signer, it would be cool of them if they were to change their name.....but, with what marketing has evolved to these days, I doubt they will do so and risk losing all of that equity they have built on the name "INXS". It's just another a business for sure.