Rock Star - INXS

jeffgeorge

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sunburnwilly: No need to feel bad about your post. We were all newbies at one time or another. We've all made our share of mistakes.....and I apparently continue to do so. 9.gif Welcome to the forum!

When replying to an individual, it is customary to include their quote in your text so everyone will know to whom you are directing your reply to and what they had originally written. In your case, that would be "hooting_monkey". For example, I just hit the "REPLY" button on your post. Now I will hit the "QUOTE" button on the Reply window and it inserts your original post into my post along with a Date/Time stamp and your screen name:

----------------

On 7/17/2005 12:19:57 AM sunburnwilly wrote:

OOPS Sorry , My Last Post Was Refering To The Guy That Said INXS Sucked . I'll Learn How To Post Betterer LOL , My Bad

----------------

See? It's pretty easy when you know how. Just remember, when reacting to someone elses post, we are all entitled to our own opinions. It's the differences of those opinions that makes this forum so interesting. Once again, welcome aboard! 2.gif

----------------

On 7/17/2005 12:19:59 AM wheelman wrote:

This show rocks!, and I don't even like music.
----------------

WHEELMAN! You DON'T LIKE MUSIC???? For SHAME!!!!!!!!! 6.gif9.gif9.gif2.gif

Right now I am I am watching the DVD "The Best of INXS* I'm Only Looking."

It's a 2 disk dvd with DTS sound track of their videos, and then some. I highly recommend it. Out of respect for Michael Hutchins as well my personal feelings for the essence of Rock & Roll, I can't watch "Pop Star."

However good the band is on that TV show (from what I've heard), It's NOT INXS anymore than The Rolling Stones would be without Mick Jagger (IMHO, of course) !!!

----------------

On 7/17/2005 8:59:22 PM tkdamerica wrote:

Right now I am I am watching the DVD "The Best of INXS* I'm Only Looking."

It's a 2 disk dvd with DTS sound track of their videos, and then some. I highly recommend it. Out of respect for Michael Hutchins as well my personal feelings for the essence of Rock & Roll, I can't watch "Pop Star."

However good the band is on that TV show (from what I've heard), It's NOT INXS anymore than The Rolling Stones would be without Mick Jagger (IMHO, of course) !!!
----------------

Just to clear something up that you may have confused...the band we are referring to that ROCKS on the show are not the members of INXS. They are a band that simply backs the singers while the members of INXS watch from the audience.

----------------

On 7/17/2005 9:17:58 PM tkdamerica wrote:

I heard Queen has a new lead singer...How weird is that! Not angry mind you--Just bewildered.
----------------

No offense intended tk but your note raises an interesting point: How does this differ from the INXS situation?

To the forum:

Freddie Mercury dies of aids, they keep the band name and get a new lead singer. Are they still "Queen"? Is this wrong?

Michael Hutchence kills himself, they keep the name and get a new lead singer. Why is that any different?

----------------

On 7/18/2005 10:26:11 AM picky wrote:

According to what I have read, it has been said they are the most successful Australian Band thus far.

----------------

Angus and the boys (AC/DC) might take exception to that! By the way, Brian Johnson did a pretty good job of replacing Bon Scott, (Back in Black was the best selling album ever by them) even though I was a huge Bon Scott fan.

Also, Paul Rogers (Free, Bad Company) is the new lead for Queen. I always thought he had one of the best voices in rock, but don't know how it will sound with Queen. Could be interesting.

----------------

On 7/18/2005 10:16:16 AM picky wrote:

No offense intended tk but your note raises an interesting point: How does this differ from the INXS situation?

To the forum:

Freddie Mercury dies of aids, they keep the band name and get a new lead singer. Are they still "Queen"? Is this wrong?

Michael Hutchence kills himself, they keep the name and get a new lead singer. Why is that any different?

----------------

None taken. 2.gif

I also realized that the band on the show was not the remaining members of INXS.

My opinion to your questions. I don't think either is "Wrong." I think the situation of both bands are similar insofar as:

1) Their front men and lead singers wrote (or co-wrote) the majority of their songs.

2) Both bands have longevity, chemistry, and success with the members of their bands.

3) The persona of both individuals as well as their vocals were an important factor in their popularity, and creative spirit of the bands (C'mon--will there EVER be another Freddie Mercury).

4) However they died, and given the ages of the remaining band members, it's hard to imagine both groups, IMHO as either 'INXS" or "Queen'" without their front man. There will always be a caveat to the questions "What do you think of Queen?" or "What do you think of INXS?" At the very least I could say (not having heard the new singer candidates for INXS, but hearing some very good vocalist with Queen), They may be good, but you should have heard them with....

I guess the easiest way to equate both situations is with the "Widow" analogy and the spouse has died. Both of these individuals were men. It doesn't mean that the talented, remaining members of the bands can't form another group. In fact I would encourage them to do so. Just as it wouldn't be "wrong" for the widowed wife to sleep around after her husband has died; However if she chooses to remarry she shouldn't keep her dead husband's name.

I realize that there are differences in the situations and more likely than not they are keeping the name for financial reasons. I understand that from the bands point of view--But my Rock and Roll soul has issues with that decision.

Both bands have every right to do what they are doing. IMO, I would rather see them touring with different vocalist on a regular basis and being introduced as "INXS (or Queen) with guest vocalist (fill in the blank)." 4.gif

----------------

On 7/18/2005 11:09:53 AM texxas guy wrote:

----------------

According to what I have read, it has been said they are the most successful Australian Band thus far.

----------------

Angus and the boys (AC/DC) might take exception to that! By the way, Brian Johnson did a pretty good job of replacing Bon Scott, (Back in Black was the best selling album ever by them) even though I was a huge Bon Scott fan.

Also, Paul Rogers (Free, Bad Company) is the new lead for Queen. I always thought he had one of the best voices in rock, but don't know how it will sound with Queen. Could be interesting.

----------------

Paul Rogers singing "Bohemian Rhapsody." 6.gif I don't think "interesting" would be the word. I am a "Bad Company" fan and have the DVD, "BC in concert--Merchants of Cool," and all I can say is the differnce IMO would be from 12.gif to 11.gif.

Speaking of 11.gif I also like AC/DC and have all of their DVD's. Bon Scott died early in his career.As far as vocals are concerned, watching Brian Johnson strain to get out those lyrics like Bon did is somewhat painful for me to watch. Angus Young and his antics are what make AC/DC for me and the sonic quality of Brian's voice isn't that much different than Bon's, IMHO 2.gif

----------------

On 7/18/2005 11:09:53 AM texxas guy wrote:

----------------

----------------

----------------

texxus guy: You do make a good point there. However, I was not expressing my own opinion. Just what I'd recently read about the band.

Funny, on the band's (INXS) own history page they brag having sold over 30 million records worldwide. The AC/DC album 'Back in Black' by itself sold over 21 million copies as of June 2005 in the US alone. It has become the 5th largest-selling album in the US of all times. So much for what I've read about INXS. I still like the band.......er......as it once was. 2.gif

tkdamerica: I'm not going to copy your quote here because it's so long, but very well said, my friend! I agree: One can't replace Freddie Mercury.

----------------

----------------

Hey Picky , Thanx for the help in the replies department . Ever here about AC/CD , " The Band I Mean "10.gif