Poll: When will I move into my new house?

damonrpayne

OK, maybe they will be digging next week, maybe they will not. I should at least get some entertainment value out of this ordeal.

When will I move into my house? The prize for guessing the closest will be a DVD, CD, DTS plaque, bottle of Grey Goose, or some other small but useful thing. This is a 2-stage survey:

1) Vote by month at http://www.damononline.com/ on the front page. (There are also pics of my HT layout in the Photos page here)

2) Put your Year/Month/Day/Time (get as detailed as you want) in this thread.

I will post the winner the second I have an occupancy date from the City inspector. Come one, come all, profit from my sorrow.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 7/13/2005 3:14:03 PM damonrpayne wrote:

OK, maybe they will be digging next week, maybe they will not. I should at least get some entertainment value out of this ordeal.

When will I move into my house?

----------------

I don't know when it'll be finished... but i'm willing to bet on a digging date:

Excavation will start the last week of July... but then the formwork guy won't be available for a couple of weeks...

This will be fun... 2.gif

January 14th, 9:38 A.M. Central Time

I.E. 1 hour before the housing inspector condemms it for improper adhereance to the rules of color schemes designed around the patterns of migratory birds.

but that's just a guess...

my original "feel" was january - but I thought NNAAAAHHH nothing takes that long....but then, I remembered its building a house.

In my case it is just plain incompetance on the part of the builder. It has taken them so long to start because they have misplaced documents (They don't believe in computers it seems), "forgotten" things like My Plans and Site Survey, etc. The only reasons I didn't try to get out of the contract are 1) Very good price, 2) Its always a crapshoot as to which subcontractors are doing the actual building and 3)In the Metro Milwaukee Builder's Association, the arbitrators tend to favor the homeowner should something go to mediation.

----------------

On 7/14/2005 5:46:26 PM damonrpayne wrote:

The only reasons I didn't try to get out of the contract are 1) Very good price ...

----------------

That may also be the reason why your contractor isn't anxious to build it either...

----------------

On 7/14/2005 5:46:26 PM damonrpayne wrote:

The only reasons I didn't try to get out of the contract are 1) Very good price ...

----------------

Being in the construction industry and knowing first hand what has been happening to material cost . . .

Anyway, it would help if you could give us some approximation of finished sq footage? maybe even a "scanned" elevation?

Nice open plan, I like it and am sure you will as wll!

Other then needles foot draging that will only add to the builder's costs, I don't know why it should take any more then a very easy 4 month schedule to complete and gain a C/O.

I'll be the opumist and say that while you and your family may not be prepared (still unpacking boxes?) you "could" be in your new house in plenty of time to celibrate Christmas 2005. My guess is you will have your C/O granted on Dec. 15, 2005

Still no digging date set. I'm starting to get upset.

I spent today filing paperwork with the Metro Milwaukee Builder's Association, to get them to either pay attention to me or cancel my contract. The woman in the MBA office has never even heard of some of the screwups they have made