Crown Amplifiers

arfandbark

I don't know about Klipsch using Crown amps, but I have used their amplifiers in sound reinforcement applications and they are very fine amplifiers. I used a pair out of our sound system in my home for a while and the sound was quite good. I don't know of any crown amp that doesn't perform. They were considered the Rolls Royce of amps in the commercial audio world when I ran, serviced, and set up sound systems for bands and DJs. If you can find a pair of mono or a stereo power amp, chances are you will like it. If it is used in the house for your hi-fi system, it will most probably last a life time. I like these amps because the company builds stuff like I build amps. Tough both physically and electronically.

Bill B.

I witnessed a demonstration in circa 1971-2 where PWK used a D75 or D50 or similar format Crown amp to drive 2 LaScalas in an auditorium. It was my first actual encounter with Klipsch in a real world environment. Needless to say, I was impressed! ...and I remain so! ...With both product lines! Although I must admit to being enamored in particular with the Crown Macro-tech and Reference Series - neither of which are for the faint of heart (nor the current limited! ;-)

I have macrotech 1200 on the shelf, will have to use it to blow some dust out of these LSI's over Labor Day weekend. Got a QSC 1400 that'd prob do nicely for the mid/hi's when I BIAMP these bad boys. That should get the neighbor's attention. I can finally get him back for using his leaf blower every Sunday last fall!

Michael

• Like 1

I regret that I cannot answer your question about PWK and which amps he used. And, not to mince words with djk as I respect everyone's opinion. It has been my personnal experience that, from a live sound reinforcement standpoint, my Crown DC300A bested my BGW 750C in most applications. The BGW contantly lapsed into the clipping range, especially on the kick drum and bass, making them sound "fuzzy" and sometimes forcing a shut-down, while the Crown "just delivered". Other evidence of this (clipping) were plenty of fried mid and high compression horn drivers in our Electro Voices while using the BGW, yet none with the Crown, even with the crossovers set appropriately for both.

In a home listening environment, although I would personaly choose neither as an ideal home component due to fan noise and other reasons, I did fine the Crown sounding a bit smoother than the BGW. That was testing them on a pair of ADS L810s. Both had plenty of punch, of course. But, the ADS's can't handle the power like my new-found loves, the LaScalas or the K-Horns, so rock on!

"why not find a Crown D-60/ 75 for your mids/ highs ...??

that's a mighty fine horn amp .."

While probably the best that Crown has made for that purpose, the BGW 100 will blow it away (that's why PWK recommended it in the DFH).

If you have a D60/75, adding a 0.1µF film bypass cap (total of 4 needed) to the electrolytic input coupling caps and feedback caps will make it sound vastly better.

Old BGW 750s used hometaxial outputs, newer ones used epitaxial outputs (like the newer Crown).

If you have the older model, changing the outputs or adding a Baker clamp will make it blow away the Crown. If you are activating the crowbar in the BGW then you are driving it hard into clipping and producing a net DC off-set (above 8~10V DC). The Crown has about 1dB less power than the BGW (no big deal) but it will thermal into 4 ohms unless you add the FTC heatsink kit or a fan to the rack. The newest version added two 3-1/8" fans, one to each heatsink.

I repair old BGWs, I gut old Crown (except for the D60/75).

Have a PowerBase 1, PowerTech 1, MicroTech 600, etc., and are tired of it blowing up? Upgrade it to a MacroTech 600 ouput stage, about $20 for the parts. A PB2, PT2, MiT1200, etc., may be upgraded to the MaT2400 output stage.

Dennis ...

your a veritable encyclopedia of Sound........2.gif

i have never blown up any of my Com-Techs...

i thought the Maco/ Micro -Techs were very similar amps, too

different output devices, tho ...??

your leading me to belive the PowerBase, et all..

seemingly are not a good quality amp ...??

that, and i can see you like BGW alot !

i had always used the D-60 in he past as a horn amp, due to the wattage, it would run in the sweet spot in it's S.O.A. -----4.gif

Just a few observations...

First, regarding the issue that one seems to have that Crown makes a terrible sounding product.

Now I don't know what traumatic incident precipitated this opinion, but I will say that Crown makes some extremely fine amplifiers. Period. Does this mean that EVERY model is everything to everybody?? Heavens no! But I do know a few folks who have depended upon the engineering and sonic quality of the product and love them. And quite a few respected studios and audiophiles who use them (and I will include Don Keele among them!). Moreover, I can say that no studio I have ever been in uses a Crest for audio playback or monitoring. Plenty use Crown. And as far as the top 10 touring rigs currently out, only one (ShowCo - Motley Crue) uses a few Crest and those are in a supportive back up role. ALL are using Crown, QSC or a mix of proprietary designs. And I am not saying this to disparage Crest! The point is simply that this rant against Crown is absurd.

So...what does that mean. Nothing to be precise! EXCEPT that this emotional penchant to trash Crown is unsubstantiated within the professional world. Take that for what its worth! But I also find it interesting that some want to base their judgment of the units on a particular model and design that is ~40 years old and whose real claim to fame was to be the first amplifier that could /would tolerate the unusual loads that routinely fried many of the best of the day! And it is quite a testimony that many are still used today! And even those old Crowns, which I would not say are 'world class audiophile amps', are STILL more common in studio applications today then the others mentioned as being better. Go figure! And, for the record, I have nothing against the other amps mentioned!

There are many good amps. And before you champion or disparage a particular brand, attempt to match the anticipated load with an appropriate source! That will make a more substantial difference then any choice you may make based upon brand!

Oh, and one more comment! I am not a fan of any of the budget 'commercial' amps! Including Crowns! Their duty cycles are extremely contrained! And you will quickly discover this the first time you ever try to drive any large scale bass bins - as you system will encounter an extreme case of flatulence! In this case, you would be better off going with any of the old D series Crown units or older Peaveys (CS-800) for a low cost alternative!

The Macro-tech 5000vz WILL WELD!!! I've seen it! And it wasn't intentional and it created QUITE a bit of excitment! Sparks everywhere! Not to mention the noise! Scared the #%$&* out of EVERYONE! And, on top of that, the amp NEVER shut down! But then, for an amp series, the smallest of which requires a 30 amp service, you shouldn't be too surprised!

So you might consider them as a multi-faceted investment!2.gif9.gif Any one need a welder?