Biamping La Scalas

jbsl

I have a early eighties Luxman C300 preamp with 2 pre outs. I also have a Luxman int amp with 100 watts and a Cayin TA 30 35 watt tube int amp. If I ran one pair of pre outs to the tube amp and ran the speaker wire to the highs on the La Scalas and then ran the other pre out to the Luxman int amp and to the lows on the La Scalas would I need anything else to make it work correctly? I thought about just trying it but with my luck I would blow things up and be out $5000.

Xman

Another question is could I biamp using my Luxman int amp 100 watts and my Cayin TA 30 tube amp 35 watts. I have been using the Luxman int amp as a preamp only running to the TA 30 and not using the 100 watts availbe from the Luxman. The Luxman int amp does not have 2 pre outs like my older Luxman preamp does. I also have 2 Monarchy Audio SM 70 Pros 80 watt mono blocks that I could use for bass but I think I'm going to put them on Ebay.

Has anyone biamped and thought it improved the sound?

Xman

I've tried passive bi-amping, which is what you are describing. There was no real ly significant improvement, although it did sound a little different, which made me think on a few occasions that I had perhaps struck gold. But really, things were pretty much the same.

The configuration you described in the above posts should work fine, but don't expect too much from it. It wouldn't hurt to try though.

My little pea brain says that I would want to put a 4-8 Ohm inductive wire wound resistor across the woofer terminals of the Xover just in case some sneaky low freq's wanted to get into my K-55. Running the K-33 full range shouldn't hurt it at normal volumes.

I bought an inexpensive active Xover to play with when I can get around to building some cables for it. (XLRs to RCAs) Then I'll use my 300b or Wright amps for 400 Hz up and a SS unit for 400Hz down. A man has to have toys.2.gif

Rick

It's a DOD SR 834 three way. I know that Griff will disaprove.-)

They usually go for around $259 but I got one NIB for $125 on eBay. If I like the effect of biamping, I can then persue a higher end design. If I don't, I can hopefully get most of my money back.

Rick

jb,

One thought on your safety concerns.

My LaScalas have the crossover that allows you to separate the bass/upper sections by cutting a couple of red wires.

That is the only thing I can think of that would be an issue, plus it allows one to safely run different brands of amps without any problems.

I would sell off the Monarchy and Cayn amps and go up a level of performance in tube amplification.

You do not say how old the LaScalas are but a going over of the crossover network may be a better upgrade to research.

Heard a Cayn once and it really was not as nice as a vintage Scott; I think it has a passive preamp.

Do you spin vinyl?

"My LaScalas have the crossover that allows you to separate the bass/upper sections by cutting a couple of red wires."

My La Scalas are 2004 models so all I have to do is take off the metal connector going from the highs to the lows and then hook up the speaker wire to each.

"I would sell off the Monarchy and Cayn amps and go up a level of performance in tube amplification.

You do not say how old the LaScalas are but a going over of the crossover network may be a better upgrade to research.

Heard a Cayn once and it really was not as nice as a vintage Scott; I think it has a passive preamp.

Do you spin vinyl?"

I am about to put both Monarchy and Cayin for sell since I need the money for some bills that need to be paid off. Then later I want to get 2 VRDs from Craig and a Peach preamp.

I was using my 2004 Luxman int amp as preamp and running the Cayin as a 35 watt amp with very good results. But since I need some cash to pay off some bills I can sell the Cayin and just use the amp on the Luxman int amp.

My best friend is coming to Austin this Sat and he installs home theaters in peoples houses so he can help me biamp them. But I probably won't bother since I'm selling the 1985 Luxman preamp with 2 pre outs and the extra amps.

Xman