Left and Right Channels?

RRZ

My Denon 2800 has two (left and right?) subwoofer pre-outs and my Klipsh RSW-10 sub has two (left and right?) input jacks.

I've searched the forums and found that some people claim they notice a db loss if both inputs are not both connected. That said, those people usually state that they use a single cable (presumably because their receiver/amp only has a single pre-out) and use a y-splitter at the sub.

My question is why are there two (left and right?) channel outs for subs? Are there really two channels with different signals? Why would you need that, unless perhaps you are running two subs....then again...I really doubt there are left and right channels for subs...is it simply two jacks with the same signal?

I really hate to run two separate cables if there is no reason for it. Should I use a Y-splitter combining both signals to a single cable and then a Y-splitter again at the sub?

----------------

On 7/18/2005 8:15:25 AM RRZ wrote:

My Denon 2800 has two (left and right?) subwoofer pre-outs and my Klipsh RSW-10 sub has two (left and right?) input jacks.

I've searched the forums and found that some people claim they notice a db loss if both inputs are not both connected. That said, those people usually state that they use a single cable (presumably because their receiver/amp only has a single pre-out) and use a y-splitter at the sub.

My question is why are there two (left and right?) channel outs for subs? Are there really two channels with different signals? Why would you need that, unless perhaps you are running two subs....then again...I really doubt there are left and right channels for subs...is it simply two jacks with the same signal?

I really hate to run two separate cables if there is no reason for it. Should I use a Y-splitter combining both signals to a single cable and then a Y-splitter again at the sub?

----------------

The reason that there are stereo inputs on the subs is that it allows the sub to be connected to a stereo source that has no LFE send. Inside the amp both channels are being summed to mono, so technically the subwoofer is still a mono source of sound. So plugging into just one channel ON THE SUB will result in the same output (though it might be a bit quieter).

There is however a good chance that the L and R outputs on your denon 2900 are NOT the same signal...so if you want your subwoofer to play all the LFE information, then you need to connect both L and R outputs from your denon 2900 into your L and R on your subwoofer. The only other option would be to find a setting on your 2900 that will sum the outputs so that the L and R are both recieving the same signal. The manual would be a good place to go in order to figure this out.

Thanks. Unfortunately, the manual is no help.

It states:

"Using a line level RCA subwoofer cable, connect the Subwoofer/LFE/Low Pass output of your electronics to the subwoofer via the RCA jack inputs on the subwoofer's rear panel."

It refers to a "cable" (singular) and "jacks" (plural). One might interpret "cable" to include a two-wire cable (like speaker wire), however, every "subwoofer" cable that I've ever seen is a single wire cable.

As you and others have suggested, using both jacks may avoid volume loss.

However, it is unclear whether each jack has a different signal or whether there is sound degradation if you use a y-splitter on each end of your subwoofer cable (single cable). I have never heard of anyone using two subwoofer cables, but I suppose that is possible. I'm afraid it would be a waste of time and money or even worse, degrade the sound quality as compared to a single cable carrying signals from both jacks. I suspect it just doesn't matter which method you connect the jacks with (2 cables versus 2 y-splitters with a single cable)--the difference is probably negligible.

Has anyone any additional insight?

DON'T connect with using 2 Y-Spliiters and a single cable. You'll screw up the op-amps driving the stereo output and mess up the negative feedback (same concept as don't power two amps to the same speaker).

Btw, it doesn't have to be a "subwoofer cable" that you use. Any normal stereo rca cable (like you use for interconnects) will work.

I perosnally would just use both cables and then not have to worry about losing anything or whatever. There will not be any loss of quality by running two seperate cables (though there would be if you use a splitter to combine the stereo output from the dvd player).

Kinda stating the obvious. The Denon allows you to use stereo sub-woofers. 2 sub woofers, one for the left signal, the other for the right. If you're only going to use one subwoofer run both R & L signals into the same sub. It will sun the 2 for all the bass signal sent. Regardless it's 2 wires no matter how you do it.