Anyone been to Atlanta, GA?

nicholtl

I'm heading down to Atlanta, GA next week for an entire week with my family to visit my older brother, who's just started his residency (doing general surgery) at Emory Hospital. My family and I will be staying at the Embassy Suites down in Buckhead, supposedly the "heart of the city."

Anyway, since my family and little sister will most likely be passing out by 10pm-ish, I'm wondering what there is to do in town? I'll be there for an entire week, and sleeping at 10pm is simply out of the question. I'm looking for suggestions on bars, nightclubs, jazz clubs, restaurants, and even family stuff like the cool malls, sights, or amusement parks (if any?).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've never been to any other state in the U.S. besides Cali, Hawaii, and Nevada (Vegas, of course). Being down in the deep south, I won't know my left from my right from my left.

It's been some years, but the Buckhead area has at least one very good record/CD store, and lots and lots of clubs. I'm sure they are open late. Atlanta isn't much different from other big cities in the US. It's really not at all like the rest of Georgia. Southern Georgia compared to Atlanta might as well be two different countries.

Atlanta is a great city. Buckhead is a nice part of town, too. I went to grad school at Emory. Wish I could be there to show you around.

Here are a few of my faves there.

Dante's Down the Hatch at Underground Atlanta. This restaurant is a must vist place in Atlanta. For the dining room inside the ship there is some very nice live jazz trio music. For the dining room on the wharf, there's fine folk type music. Usually a solo guitarist/vocalist. One of my favorite places of all time.

Also at Underground is the Coca-Cola museum.

Across the street from Emory is Everybody's. Great place. Also a couple of doors down from the is Jaggers Tavern, named best pizza in Atlanta.

Stone Mountain Park has an awesome, IMO laser show every evening.

Carter Center Library

On the Emory campus, The Lullwater Estate is a lovely stroll.

If you go downtown to the OMNI, you can watch alot of stuff going on at CNN. Also, since Ted Turner owns the place, there is a 6 screen cinema at the Omni, which always has one screen dedicated to "Gone With the Wind". hehe

There is some good continental cuisine and great atmospher at The Abbey restaurant downtown on Ponce de Leon. It's in an old church.

Every trip to Atlanta should include a trip to THE VARSITY Drive Inn. Just amazing place. Located Downtown.

Steve, Paul, Dee, thanks a lot for the help. I've read on cityseach that most nightlife spots in Buckhead close at 3AM? Is this true? That's a whole hour later than LA! It doesn't sound like much, I know, but it does make a difference.

Dante's Down the Hatch sounds like a definite hit-up for me...

"Every trip to Atlanta should include a trip to THE VARSITY Drive Inn. Just amazing place. Located Downtown."

I've got to tell you - my luck eating in DT ATL is TERRIBLE. I've made 3 visits to DT ATL in the past 10 years, and have had ONE good meal - at Jocks and Jills at CNN Center. A tourist who doesn't know their way around the DT area might decide to starve instead of eating after looking at the options. Even the Hooters didn't know how to cook (Grilled cheese as white as a sheet with semi raw wings).

Buckhead is MUCH better in terms of quality of restaurants....but is considerably more expensive. If the wallet abides, it's a good area with lots to do - especially bars/eats/clubs. If your stay involves a weekend, expect crowds in bars/restaurants.

Varsity is OK for fast burger joint type fare, but I didn't find it to be anything earthshaking. Many cities seem to "have the goods" on Atlanta in terms of low cost food. It seems that every time I go to Milwaukee, for example, it comes up roses (#1 city for random selection of a restaurant by tourists - I have GREAT LUCK there)....but Atlanta (downtown in particular) gives us fits on the restaurants.

I'm usually quite good at finding good food in cities I've visited, but Atlanta remains an enigma outside of Buckhead. It's a running joke around here, as we are planning to possibly visit the ATL in October, and we generally stay downtown because I can get 4* rooms down there for 50 bucks. But the questions have already been asked: Where are we gonna eat? What are we missing downtown?

They definitely don't roll up the sidewalks at 10:00. Buckhead should be rocking until 4:00 am. Atlanta is great, I think you'll enjoy the "un-stuck-up-ed-ness" of the girls there. Very hot, very friendly and very many 20ish year old girls running around there. Buckehead may be old news though as far as the young hip crowd goes, I'll check with my friend in Atlanta to find out the exact "hot area" of the moment since you know how these things change!

--------------------------------

Scott0527 posted:

They definitley don't roll up the sidewalks at 10:00. Buckhead should be rocking until 4:00 am. Atlanta is great, I think you'll enjoy the "un-stuck-up-ed-ness" of the girls there. Very hot, very friendly and very many 20ish year old girls running around there. Buckehead may be old news though, I'll check with my friend in Atlanta to find out the exact "hot area" of the moment since you know how these things change!

--------------------------------

I agree! Anyone who thinks of Atlanta as a larger Mayberry is dead wrong. One stop by the Cheetah Lounge located in the heart of Midtown at the corner of 8th & Spring Streets will asure you of that, LOL

Nick, I don't know what 'look' you sport, but you might consider toning down the LAness if you're uber-city-chic. Atlanta is a megopolis, but the people are pretty down to earth and friendly. The young ladies might be skeered of a guy who's 'too' slick, knowhhatimean? Just keep buying the drinks and you'll be okay.

He shoots, HE SCORES!

Then come back and entertain us with your tales so us older guys can live vicariously through your exploits.

Michael

Ok Nic, straight from my Atlanta connection. Just one man's opinion but his is usually pretty good.

"Buckhead has become the "club" scene, and it is no longer the college town

bar set it used to be. Moreover, it is where the hip-hop folks go to

party - so tell him to drive an Escalade with spinners, wear lots of bling,

and play his gangsta rap with the bass on the equalizer set to the max.

There are still nice places to party and eat in Buckhead, and there are a

few good bars left - Fado Fado is a cool Irish pub. Moreover, a better

scene is either in Midtown or the Virginia Highlands, but they are about

five miles south and southeast from Buckhead."

So take that and do what you will with it!

Spend a couple hours in Little 5 Points.

Varsity is a must.

Buckhead

Stone Mountain for something different.

You sure picked a hot time to come. I'm in Bham which is about 2.5 hours away. Today's Hi is Hi 90's and with humidity heat index is 110.

Have fun.

Danny

I second The Varsity. As long as you are in the neighborhood, at least, take one of the tours of the Fox Theatre. It is a most elegant reminder of a past gilded age. Even better, take in a live performance.

All-in-all, I find Atlanta to be a very gracious place. Even on the sidewalks you sense an aura of good manners.

All bets are off when you get behind the wheel! Think Dallas on amphetamines. You had better know where you are going and what lane to be in when you get there because the next stop will be Alabama! Good luck

DR BILL

park your car and ride the MARTA. its cheaper and you can get anywhere you want to go. Traffic in atlanta is terrible and if this is your first time you will miss several exits get lost and spend most of your time riding around. also its about 100 degrees in hotlanta today and the marta is ac'd. marta = no road rage....six flags or whitewater are cool places during the day as well.

----------------

On 7/22/2005 1:13:51 AM nicholtl wrote:

I've read on cityseach that most nightlife spots in Buckhead close at 3AM? Is this true? That's a whole hour later than LA!

----------------

3am Atlanta time is gonna feel like midnight to you. 9.gif Have fun!

Jeremy

Buckeheads ESPN-the zone, The Cheesecake Factory, and LOADS of clubs just be bopping big time Thursday- sat 11 PM till 2 AM for sure...

Downtown the CNN tour is kinda cool, don't overlook a Braves game baseball live is always great, food is good too.

Buckhead is NE of ATL.. fairly safe, be a little aware of your surroundings. Even the toughest baddest dude out of his own place is a little awkward on someone else's turf.. (nuff said)

Surprisingly, great seafood too. Ask around. Look into the local newspapers on the streets for club info and ask around. And that southern belle with the twangy voice batting eyelashes at you???? Be careful, she just might either like you, or be planning your funeral!!

Nicholt,

I live and work in Hotlanta and today was HOT about 92 with 95% humidity - what some would call "close" and I call near miserable.

Buckhead isn't bad, just mostly clubs and resturaunts so if you want music you need to go to either Little 5 Points (L5P), Virginia-Highlands (intersection of Virginia and Highlands Aves.)or maybe midtown.

I'll second or third Dante's down the hatch.

If you want good pizza, I'd recommend "Mellow Mushroom" I think it is the best.

For BBQ, head out to the burbs and go to Williamson Brothers BBQ in Marietta and you can see the "Big Chicken". If you go to L5P, you have to go to "The Vortex" for dinner.

You might also want to check out Fernbank natural history museum and the Atlanta botanical gardens. Also, a Six Flags park, White Water park and Stone Mtn. (a county park) worth visiting.

Feel free to pm for more info. and Welcome!

Paul