Can iFi be used as a desktop system?

Larry1

A lot of the early mag reviews and online opinions seem to steer any perspective buyer to the fact that this excellent 2.1 speaker system is only for iPod owners even though there is a line input on the sub. Is Klipsch marketing kinda shooting themselves in the foot by not addressing the fact that you could use this cool system as a near field desktop speaker system also? Think Versatility! IMHO I think their are a lot of perspective user's looking for a really good 2.1 speaker system compared to the competition.

----------------

On 7/22/2005 5:25:57 PM Larry1 wrote:

A lot of the early mag reviews and online opinions seem to steer any perspective buyer to the fact that this excellent 2.1 speaker system is only for iPod owners even though there is a line input on the sub. Is Klipsch marketing kinda shooting themselves in the foot by not addressing the fact that you could use this cool system as a near field desktop speaker system also? Think Versatility! IMHO I think their are a lot of perspective user's looking for a really good 2.1 speaker system compared to the competition.

----------------

yes, it can be, and there are not many competitors at its price range. What is interesting is that even the most expensive surround sound PC systems don't match the quality of sound offered by the iFi and most people who buy surround sound dont actually need it! They would be better off spending that same amount in a higher quality 2.1 system. That is exactly what the iFi is if you can accept the added iPod feature which does add some cost to the system, but relative to the amount you pay for the sound, Its really not that much. Most iPod speakers are doubled or tripled in cost for the little dock feature, Klipsch could sell the iFi without the dock for the same price and it would still be reasonable.

----------------

On 7/24/2005 8:16:41 PM Blackmesa wrote:

yes, it can be, and there are not many competitors at its price range. What is interesting is that even the most expensive surround sound PC systems don't match the quality of sound offered by the iFi and most people who buy surround sound don't actually need it! They would be better off spending that same amount in a higher quality 2.1 system. That is exactly what the iFi is if you can accept the added iPod feature which does add some cost to the system, but relative to the amount you pay for the sound, Its really not that much. Most iPod speakers are doubled or tripled in cost for the little dock feature, Klipsch could sell the iFi without the dock for the same price and it would still be reasonable.

----------------

I was reading the August MacHome review on the iFi (5 out 5) but again there is no mention of using this iFi for anything but with a Ipod. Do the reviewer's focus on only Ipod capabilities? At least CNET and Playlist mention the additonal inputs for other sources. But right at the end of the Playlist review the author tells you this: "Those shopping for speakers for their desktop should look elsewhere, but for a home stereo setting, the iFi is the best sounding system we've heard". FYI the August U.S. Macworld quotes this same line in a very short review. (Same contributing editor) BTW I enjoyed your own review very much Blackmesa, which is what first attracted me really to the uniqueness of this 2.1 speaker system. Its not just a another plastic system that will last a year. As someone who has used many forms of hign quality audio speakers I am absolutely amazed by how little marketing of decent speaker systems exist for computer users. A few years ago most vendors attempted to market some decent computer speakers but then it seemed the PC market was constantly trying to make things cheaper and adbandoned high quality computer speakers. Lately build quality has been pretty pathetic until the iFi project. Nice to see something sold that could last a few years. I also agree that a good 2.1 system beats a mediocre surround system any day. I love the fact that the sub is quite cool when operating and doesn't have a huge heatfin assembly like other vendors we know.

2.gif

Cheers

Thanks, I have actually rewrote that review, fixed some spelling and grammar and structure but I have not uploaded the new version. But Andy did mention a possible problem with the iFi being used with a PC. High end soundcards like the audigy which have more voltage in their lineout could blow the input stage on the iFi. So as a solution, you should not turn the soundcard volume too high and simply let the iFi amp do most of the work. I have run the iFi off my PC with a Revo 7.1 and it sounded great. Currently its hooked up to a laptop and I can run the volume at 100% with no problems.

He also said "Those shopping for speakers for their desktop should look elsewhere" because its overkill in both price and somewhat.. sound quality. I mean, the thing is WAY better than a set of Promedia 2.1's. I used bigger RSX's for my PC and I love em. IMO, there is no way a pair of RSX-3's is overkill for me, but he was speaking in general. 400 for a 2 channel PC system is a lot more than any other mainstream 2.1 PC system, and its a lot more sound too, but I could not recommend it more!

• 1 month later...

But Andy did mention a possible problem with the iFi being used with a PC. High end soundcards like the audigy which have more voltage in their lineout could blow the input stage on the iFi. So as a solution, you should not turn the soundcard volume too high and simply let the iFi amp do most of the work.

If I used the word "blow" I apologize. A hot soundcard will not blow the input stage, it just has the potetial (no pun intended) to overdrive it, creating distortion.