Denon 3803 question

grizwold44

Dont post here too often but frequent this forum about every day(just not smart enough to answer anybodys questions)....but I've got one for you guys(and gals).

Bought a used 3803 on ebay,got it in about a week ago,and set it up.

The only things I have hooked up is a CD player and a dvd player,played the cd player first and was very happy with the sound(5 channel stereo sounds great)......played a dvd(I Robot) and it starts in neo 6 mode for the previews and sounds pretty good,when it switches to DD or DTS when the movie starts,the sound quality(volume) drops off a little,but noticable.....channel settings are set,dvd player has optical cord,bitstream is on and DTS is on......dont get me wrong,I can turn the volume up and have more sound that I'll ever need,but I was wondering if what I said is normal or if I'm missing something......the 3803 display shows dolby d......the OSD shows 3/2.1 playing.......was using a Yamaha rv1105 before and when DD kicked in....you would know right away the sound difference(esp. the THX intro)....am I worried about something I shouldn't be or is this 3803 missing something?......any comments would be appreciated?....thanks

KLf 30's and C-7 in front and RS-7's in the back

Welcome to the forum,

I am running a similar set up at my business with the 3803 only with the KLF-20's and RS-3's as surrounds. It is a 1600 sq. ft. room and both Dolby and DTS sound great. I haven't noticed what you mentioned but will take I-Robot to work and see what I think.4.gif

I have noticed what you are talking about. I have a Denon 2805, and when I play certain DVD's, I Robot included, I have noticed that I have to turn the volume up quite a bit. Some DVD's are not mixed as well as others. So for me, I think it is normal.

----------------

On 7/26/2005 11:22:01 AM grizwold44 wrote:

normal is the word that I want to hear......now if someone starts talking about digital circuitry or any other thing I know nothing about.......ouch

----------------

Given what was said about the I-Robot DVD, Have you tried another one?

first off,let me say I've worn ch.18 of I Robot and ch21 of Pearl harbor out fiddling with this.

just stuck another 20th cent fox dvd in(hide and seek) and the previews are louder in neo6 than when it switched to DD.....if I was going to sit and watch Hide and Seek,I would prob have the volume between -15 and -20...normal?.......put in XXX and prob would have to watch it around -20....not too loud or soft for either one......would these setting be too loud for other users?.....I'm prob making a big deal out of nothing,but if you dont ask,you cant get no answers.....lol

DVD soundtracks and recording levels vary greatly! Some DVD's the dialogue is so poor I have to crank it up and then when an action scene hits I end up pasted to the back of my chair while trying to scramble for the volume control.

Won't the Denon let you toggle through the DSP settings when the moive is playing to select the playback processing of your choice? (ie. DD, DPLIIx, DTS Neo6, etc.)

I notice big drops in volume when I go from my 7.1 Stereo or Matrix to any of the digital processing types, DD, DTS, DD-EX, DTS-ES I just turn the volume up a little more.

----------------

On 7/26/2005 11:53:43 AM grizwold44 wrote:

.....if I was going to sit and watch Hide and Seek,I would prob have the volume between -15 and -20...normal?.......put in XXX and prob would have to watch it around -20....not too loud or soft for either one......would these setting be too loud for other users?.....I'm prob making a big deal out of nothing,but if you dont ask,you cant get no answers.....lol

----------------

I think I see your situation (i.e., problem). The volume control and dB level on the Denon is different than on the Yamaha. When I cranked up my Yamaha at higher volume it did sound too loud (bright) so I was reluctant to move it that high.

I have 3 denons (3803/3805/4802R). When I first switched them out, I too was nervous about raising the volume past a certain point (compared with the Yammi) because I thought I was going to damage something. That being said, in my large room with the 3803 I have played movies at-6 and it sounded great.

My 4802R is in a smaller room and I play movies usually around-16 to-20 and it hits reference level. When I am really rocking I can play it down to-12 with no problem (I still get nervous louder than that).

When I auditioned the THX line on a Denon 5805 they had the volume set at "0" and he said that was reference level. I was surprised because it wasn't any louder than I listen to my system. I guess that was the difference in sensitivity of the speakers.

Bottom line--I don't think anything is wrong with your 3803 and you could play it at higher dB levels without any problems.

----------------

On 7/26/2005 12:10:30 PM tkdamerica wrote:

----------------

----------------

I think I see your situation (i.e., problem). The volume control and dB level on the Denon is different than on the Yamaha. When I cranked up my Yamaha at higher volume it did sound too loud (bright) so I was reluctant to move it that high.

I have 3 denons (3803/3805/4802R). When I first switched them out, I too was nervous about raising the volume past a certain point (compared with the Yammi) because I thought I was going to damage something. That being said, in my large room with the 3803 I have played movies at-6 and it sounded great.

My 4802R is in a smaller room and I play movies usually around-16 to-20 and it hits reference level. When I am really rocking I can play it down to-12 with no problem (I still get nervous louder than that).

When I auditioned the THX line on a Denon 5805 they had the volume set at "0" and he said that was reference level. I was surprised because it wasn't any louder than I listen to my system. I guess that was the difference in sensitivity of the speakers.

Bottom line--I don't think anything is wrong with your 3803 and you could play it at higher dB levels without any problem

well.I'm starting to feel a little better now,with the Yamaha,I dont think I ever turned the volume past 3 when watching a movie.......it was just scaring me a little that I was turning this up so far,at least that was what I was thinking----------

----------------

On 7/26/2005 12:43:12 PM grizwold44 wrote:

yea,I know......dont think I'll ever see those numbers.......but for what its worth,is it a lot of volume change between 0 and +15?

----------------

6.gif6.gif6.gif I don't know. I imagine it's somewhere between "deaf" and "really deaf." I am with you. I am never going there.2.gif {edit: I was using that as a reference point in comparison to the Yammis which go down to "0" if I remember correctly}

Don't worry about the volume numbers from different receivers when watching DVDs. Reference level on an older Yamaha receiver I used to use was at -23, and I watched most DVDs around -38 or so.

On my Denon 3803 that I use with seperate amps reference level is at 0, and I watch DVDs around -15. The numbers are different but it's still the same dB level.

----------------

On 7/26/2005 6:29:02 PM RickB wrote:

Don't worry about the volume numbers from different receivers when watching DVDs. Reference level on an older Yamaha receiver I used to use was at -23, and I watched most DVDs around -38 or so.

On my Denon 3803 that I use with seperate amps reference level is at 0, and I watch DVDs around -15. The numbers are different but it's still the same dB level.

----------------

I don't think we are saying anything different.2.gif But to confirm, I was responding to his concerns about what level HE listens to material and my first hand observations of the differences from going from a Yamaha to a Denon. When I said:

"I was using that as A REFERENCE POINT in comparison to the Yammis which go down to "0."

I was talking about relative difference in receivers--not any standards set by Dolby or THX.

Ok folks - I may be wrong here, but my 3802 has channel level settings by effect, source and type. I imagine you could make a difference by adjusting the channel levels and you wouldn't have the fluctuations you mentioned. Also there is a 10db boost for DD if I remember correctly.

I get nothing similar to yours except between sources.

----------------

On 7/26/2005 9:31:32 PM hwatkins wrote:

Ok folks - I may be wrong here, but my 3802 has channel level settings by effect, source and type. I imagine you could make a difference by adjusting the channel levels and you wouldn't have the fluctuations you mentioned. Also there is a 10db boost for DD if I remember correctly.

I get nothing similar to yours except between sources.

----------------

I have the 3802 and I have noticed that slight drop in volume when toggling between DD and DTS. I always assumed it was a difference in the sound coming from the DVD and not the receiver itself. Guess I finally have an assumption that is right...

D

I have a 3803, and I have noticed a significant difference in the bass output between its processing and an Onkyo reciever I have. I exchanged the model for another one, same issue. I think there's something wrong inherently with the cross-overs. It sounds like it blocks all the mid-range bass and no setting i change makes a difference. someday i will have some time and investigate some more. besides that, its a great reciever.

----------------

On 7/27/2005 10:28:33 PM Ou8thisSN wrote:

I have a 3803, and I have noticed a significant difference in the bass output between its processing and an Onkyo reciever I have. I exchanged the model for another one, same issue. I think there's something wrong inherently with the cross-overs. It sounds like it blocks all the mid-range bass and no setting i change makes a difference. someday i will have some time and investigate some more. besides that, its a great reciever.
----------------

I dont know if this has anything to do with anything but if you go to yahoo and type in "denon 3803 bass management"......go to the first search.....its the HTF..Attn all 3803 users and read the first post............just maybe this is what your talking about.......also talks about the DD dynamic compression circuits........anybody know anything about that?........also want to thank everybody for their imputs.