power cords... no, wait, Power Cords, uh, POWER CORDS

PreceptACmains.jpg

uh, okay...

"Like all RAL cables, the Precept power cord is made with deep-cryogenically-treated, oxygen-free, 99.999% (5n) pure solid-core silver conductors, which are then heavily shielded with multiple layers of 5-mil solid copper and mil spec, helical woven, silver-plated, stranded copper braid. The conductor is then surrounded by Big AirTM dielectriceach conductor is hermetically sealed within an oversized 100 percent pure virgin Teflon PTFE hollow sleeve that gives the Precept a low dielectric constant and low capacitance. The conduit is then filled with proprietary Ceramic Micro-SpheresTM that reduce resonance. Two separate runs of cable, twisted together and terminated with Furutech FI-25 rhodium connecters, give the Precept the girth of a 6-gauge conductor..."

uh, okay...

"...Retail: $1099 per 2-meters..."

uh, okay...

It sure is purty, ain't it? (Click on image for link to article)

Hey Duke,

If you bought one of those power cords for each piece of equipment actually in use in your system (not counting stuff in the closet or up in the attic), how much would it cost?

For that matter, would they fit behind the equipment rack?

...then again, what's the load bearing on the floor?

I know that I will catch grief for this, but....

Despite all of the esoteric feelings and emotional posturing (heck, if I paid ~$1200 for a power cord you can bet I would hear a difference! Even if it was simply the echo from the vacuous space in my empty head!)

But, I am curious! Why no transfer functions &/or Nyquist plots of the individual components and sources, loads and summed systems? I know, I know, this mystical stuff can't be understood nor quantified nor qualified by modern physics... Then how about consulting an astrologer, or Shirley MacLean, or, I know!, Tom Cruze!!!

Why are all of these high end claims (of ALL sorts) always so devoid of critical analysis? After all, wouldn't it simply lend legitimacy to their claims???

(For all you folks in Rio Linda...this is a rhetorical question folks!!!!2.gif9.gif11.gif )

But they do look pretty!

The plots, improvements and gains are all within the curiousity of the potential buyer.

The more you believe that the difference will be dramatic, the better it sounds and the higher the price.

All one has to do is get 8 gauge wire, wrap it in plastic, put it in a deep freeze, with the ends of course. Leave for 96 hours then bring to room temperature.

Beverage is of your choice - a bottle of Dom due to savings.

There are some cords on equipment - vintage and new, that are not the proper gauge or have been bent to the point of almost breaking.

Replacing the Power Cord with a slightly heavier gauge may help and may explain some of the improvements that are heard by listeners.

But that amount of money is obscene.

dodger

It's interesting that they just seem to aim this marketing at audio application. Why not more critical applications like hospitals and laboratories. I think medical grade power cords are only $30-$50 and you're paying for mostly plug upgrades. I'd also think the military would be all over these for the bargain price of $1,099. I'd sure hate to think of the Air Force plugging a missle into the wall using a lesser power cord. Do they just figure that audiofools are the ripest target group that will pay through the nose for anything that pushes higher quality electrons 2.gif to their systems.

----------------

On 7/27/2005 6:55:32 PM sputnik wrote:

It's interesting that they just seem to aim this marketing at audio application. Why not more critical applications like hospitals and laboratories. I think medical grade power cords are only $30-$50 and you're paying for mostly plug upgrades. I'd also think the military would be all over these for the bargain price of $1,099. I'd sure hate to think of the Air Force plugging a missle into the wall using a lesser power cord. Do they just figure that audiofools are the ripest target group that will pay through the nose for anything that pushes higher quality electrons
2.gif
to their systems. ----------------

Ditto!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Heck, if bit error rates are important (and they ARE in computers!!!!!), especially in the massively parallel supercomputers such as the IBM RS6000 series and configurations such as ASCI White and Blue and Blue Gene, you would think they would use SOME kind of exotic cabling or power supply or power cord, or..., heck, at least have some neat looking STP decal that makes them at least LOOK fast!!! But nope! Just silly small switching power supplies and plain old copper power cords and tinned Molex connectors (I even have problems with this last one! ;-) and ...well just boring stuff! And trust me, if someone could determine that a 'something' was of real benefit they would be made of whatever they discovered, be it SOLID platinum or yogurt or of nothing but the dorsal guiding feathers of African swallows!!

Gee whiz, I guess they just aren't as informed as those Best Buy/Circuit City electro-acoustical savants! Well, let's just say they have only 1/2 of the qualities of those savants! Moreover, you can figure out which half! Your answer will also provide some insight into which half of the skill set you possess! 2.gif9.gif9.gif

----------------

On 7/27/2005 8:22:22 PM meuge wrote:

Our 7-tesla MRI has a $15'000'000 power conditioner.

:)
~----------------

But NOT because it requires some exotic interconnect or cable material! It is because you are trying to maintain three gradient amplifiers (one for each axis) and a common power supply to drive the superconducting environment supplying upwards of ~500+ amps!! Just as the power cord on a Macro-Tech Crown is almost an inch in diameter, not because it is exotic (it's not!), but simply because of the current capacity! 9.gif9.gif9.gif

----------------

On 7/27/2005 6:55:32 PM sputnik wrote:

Do they just figure that audiofools are the ripest target group that will pay through the nose for anything that pushes higher quality electrons
2.gif
to their systems.

----------------

Yep!

2.gif

...virgin Teflon...

...is that like the virgin acrylic used to make sweaters?

And they expect us to believe that this cable knows what it is doing!

Yeah...right!!!! You can't fool me!!! I ain't no idjet!

Make my cable naughty!

2.gif9.gif

(I would have said "kinky", but even I can't take that pun!!!9.gif9.gif )