tubes and a Cayin TA 30

jbsl

I have a Cayin TA 30 int tube amp that I use just as a amp. I had been using some Svetlana EL 34s with good result but when I turned up the volume past moderate listening levels the La Scalas just overpowered me with sound. It was loud as he!! and sounded like he!! TO ME. Tried some EH 6CA7s and bass was better otherwise not much else and went back to the EL 34s.

If you are new to tube amps and tube rolling like me leave the new tubes you are trying in the amp for at least a week or two. I put the 6CA7s back in last week and they now sound much better than the EL34s.

The EL34s midrange was too forward and overpowered the bass and highs. The 6CA7s midrange is much smoother sounding. They also have better bass that seems to blend better with the midrange and highs. Now when I turn up the volume to levels I did not use before it is not overpowering me and sounds very good.

I think this is a reason why tube amps are great. With solid state amps you get one sound out of it and that is it. Yes you can do upgrades and mods on it to get a better sound but I don't know how to do those. I can pull out the old tubes and put in some different ones though. With tube amps and preamps you can have two or three different type of tubes and each gives the music a unique sound.

What type of KT 88s or 6550 can you suggest I try? What brand of tubes would you say does bass, midrange, and highs excellent?

Xman

Hiya,I have those cap's Craig is talking about. I'll mail them to you for free. I too had a Cayin TA-30 amp and as per Craig's very helpful advice I changed the caps and it did smooth out the sound somewhat. PM or email me and with a addy. and I'll mail the caps free of charge.

Cheers,

robert

I really wish I would of taken a photo of the position of these little caps. This is real simple swap as long as you can do some basic soldering. There in a open area of the amp. If you can take a good picture of the under chassis of the amp I'll whip up a quick photoshop job to show you where they located.

----------------

On 7/31/2005 12:46:09 PM NOSValves wrote:

I really wish I would of taken a photo of the position of these little caps. This is real simple swap as long as you can do some basic soldering. There in a open area of the amp. If you can take a good picture of the under chassis of the amp I'll whip up a quick photoshop job to show you where they located.

----------------

That's very nice of you Craig.

1.gif

paul

Another trick, if you find the midrange overwhelming on LaScalas...

change the squawker tap on the crossover autoformer from tap #4 to tap #3. This will lower the squawker level by 3db. I have dont this on LaScalas and Khorns with pleasing results. The bass, relative to the mids is increased.

xman, what is your source. Possible that is contributing some harshness.

Xman,

Try a quad of Ei KT-90's(type III is cool, type II if you can find them) instead of the KT-88's, etc.. Give 'em some time to settle in before passing judgement, you will NOT be disappointed. They give me the absolute most bang for the buck in my VRD's. If this gives you any idea, they replaced a quad of NOS 1960's GEC KT-88's which I sold. I know results can and will vary from system to system, but they are easily worth trying.

Thanks for all the replies!! Robster I appreciate the offer I'll send you a email.

Jorgen thanks for the info on the 90s. Is there a online store you use? Austin does not seem to have many stores that sells tubes that I know about.

Craig I'm going to work right now so I'll send a pic after work. I have not done any type of soldering but I figure I can go down to Radio Shack and get the equipment and some practice material and learn. Once I've got it down I could put in the new ones. What do you recomend as good soldering equipment and what do I need to do the job? Thanks for the help I'll take the pic of the amp and send it in the morning.

Xman

Boy this could be interesting2.gif It seems awful extreme to buy a soldering iron and solder to install 2- $2 caps. You wouldn't happen to have a freind that already has the needed gear and would help you out? If your really up for it just buy the basic soldering Iron kit they have part number 64-2802 http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F009%5F007%5F001&product%5Fid=64%2D2802. It come with a few tools and some solder which is all you will need.

As far as the caps Radio Shack won't have them. You might just as well have robster mail them to you since he has them and will most likely never use them again. If you order them online the shipping will cost more then the caps.

Craig

I don't mind buying the kit since I want to learn anyway. This way if there are any other upgrades I might want to do later I'll know how to at least solder. Also depends on how much of a improvement these caps will make but even then I'll try it.

Thanks again Robster for the caps.

Craig thanks for the info and help I'll send a picture of the inside of the Cayin after I get of work.

Xman

Daddy Dee does the 2004 La Scalas have a tap #4 to change to a tap #3? This will lower the squawker level by 3db. I have dont this on LaScalas and Khorns with pleasing results. The bass, relative to the mids is increased. When I changed the tubes from Svetlana EL 34s to EH 6CA7s the bass blended much better with the midrange and highs. The midrange seemed smoother

with the 6CA7s so if the mod makes the midrange even better I'll be one happy listener!!

Xman