ebay academys

dtel

• Moderators

I dont think this guy knows what he has. Item #5794536137

3 oak oil academys and 8" sub and 2 stands,5 days left no bin bidding is at $99.00. He could just be playing stupid but he could get more if he sold them one at a time.

I will keep up with this one but fear the price will get very high. I could use 1 academy for center but will not pay to much for one because i could fit another forte ll. It seems I could buy 2 forte ll's for the price of one academy.

Maybe I am just a grouch, but I have been looking for Academys for ever and I check Ebay every two days to see if I can find a set, and without fail someone posts the link on the BB. Very generous, but if people really want them they would be looking for them. Its very frustrating because people that buy and sell for a living watch theses sites and snipe the nice equipment so that it never goes cheap. If you want to know why they are going to be bid into the stratosphere, IT'S BECAUSE YOU ARE TELLING EVERYONE AND THEIR GRANDMA THAT THEY ARE OUT THERE AND TO GO BID!!!!! This one is classic because they were not listed as Academys in the heading, and very few people check the descriptions.

Posting a warning that they are damaged is really helpful, ie the set from Florida that I asked about and got a close up of some really nasty damage and I posted it here so that no one got ripped off. But people who know what it is will find it, you are just chumming the water and making it hard for joe average to get one or a set.

There I got it off my chest, I feel better, but if you really wanted them you should have just bid on them, not taken out a nationwide ad for the seller.....

----------------

On 8/1/2005 4:20:09 PM entomologist2004 wrote:

Maybe I am just a grouch, but I have been looking for Academys for ever and I check Ebay every two days to see if I can find a set, and without fail someone posts the link on the BB. Very generous, but if people really want them they would be looking for them. Its very frustrating because people that buy and sell for a living watch theses sites and snipe the nice equipment so that it never goes cheap. If you want to know why they are going to be bid into the stratosphere, IT'S BECAUSE YOU ARE TELLING EVERYONE AND THEIR GRANDMA THAT THEY ARE OUT THERE AND TO GO BID!!!!! This one is classic because they were not listed as Academys in the heading, and very few people check the descriptions.

Posting a warning that they are damaged is really helpful, ie the set from Florida that I asked about and got a close up of some really nasty damage and I posted it here so that no one got ripped off. But people who know what it is will find it, you are just chumming the water and making it hard for joe average to get one or a set.

There I got it off my chest, I feel better, but if you really wanted them you should have just bid on them, not taken out a nationwide ad for the seller.....

----------------

entomologist2004-The listing noted in the post above has three academies and a SW-15 sub for sale. I've got four Academies and an SW-15 that I will be selling sometime in the near future. Send me an-e-mail with something in the title that indicates you're from the forum and I will reply. And cheer up, would ya?

9.gif9.gif12.gif2.gif

David

Guest Anonymous

----------------

Maybe I am just a grouch, .............................

----------------

You are cranky. The guy just wants to talk current events about the used academy market. By trolling this site or not, professional resellers are going to find them and buy them anyway. Especially on a site like ebay.

Look, by getting this out in the open, dkp might be taking care of you.

you need one of two things to get an oo academy, patience or cash. I ran out of patience15.gif and paid $650 for mine plus a new network from popbumber. Granted it does dialog very well, it should for the $ I got into it.

Patience or cash................

Patience or cash............

Patience or cash.........

Patience or cash.......

Patience or cash..

that is definately not the picture I wanted to post

post-16943-138192689963_thumb.jpg

----------------

----------------

Take it easy, man. Maybe you just need to hear a bug joke (or two).

"A grasshopper walks into a bar. The bartender says to him "Hey we a have drink named after you." The grasshopper replies, "You have a drink named Murry?"

"A snail is returning home late at night and has to cut though a dark alley. As he is passing through, he is mugged by two slugs. Later on at the police station, the officer asks him,"Can you give me a description of the assailents?" The snail ponders this for a moment, and then replies, "Gee, I'm not sure... it all happpened so fast."

Feel better now?

Got mine from a forum member. Someone put black paint over oak clear in the past. Maybe not a perfect finish match for my oak oil forte II's, not a great job on the paint either. There are some drip accumulations, etc. That being said, patience does pay off, it is a service to let forum members know what is on the market, so wait for what you want at the price you will pay. Other groups I am associated with point out possible buys, that is the way of the community. The black academy works out fine against the cherry furniture it is on, maybe better than if I held out for oak oil. Plus, now I have no fear of re-doing the black without destroying any originality. Patience versus cash, plus common sense will show the way. In the mean time, on the gotta have it now front, I have been enjoying mine for over a year with no regrets. Your mileage may vary.

A little perspective...plus a few bug jokes, an hour with lights down and the volume up, a cold one and now....I am feeling much better. Thank you for the opportunities, I will likely be in touch in the near future.

I am a big believer in the Cash vs Time continuum, I build (very) old VWs, the parts are either free by the truck load or $$$$$ each, just depends on how long you are willing to wait and how hard you look, though the word seems to have gotten out and "good" stuff is getting hard to find...

Best, W

I had been lloking for an Academy (like everybody else) for a long time. I had never heard one before, but the consistent praise it has received on this message board convinced me that I just *had* to have one. I had a KV3 for while, but I always thought of it as just a place holder for the Academy.

After much patience, I recently obtained a black one on Ebay for(what seems like) a relatively cheap $350. I have been listening to it for about 2 weeks now. No question, it is a far better match to my Fortes than the KV3, particularly at the top end. However, even though it is really good, it still isn't a perfect match. Guess I will have to wait to have enough space so that I can put a Heresy or another Forte in its place.

The Heresy/Heresy II have been reported to not work real well, they tend to be too forward, the additional Forte' without question would be the best choice but shoe-horning one into place is obviously not an easy task. Especially since you have the passive radiator in the back to contend with. Your best choice is the Academy primarily due to placement issues.

I am thinking about trading mine for a pair of Heresy's/Heresy II's as it is just my additional center reinforcement. I will have to remove it from my system and see if I can live without it. I have popbumper's killer K-stack network in it so it's performance is beyond that of a standard Academy. The stock network is a joke, it still sounded better than the KV-4 and KLF-C7 before the upgrade though. I would put the original network back in it though if that is what someone wants, although I cannot imagine why.

----------------

On 8/2/2005 2:00:30 PM JuneBug wrote:

I had been lloking for an Academy (like everybody else) for a long time. I had never heard one before, but the consistent praise it has received on this message board convinced me that I just *had* to have one. I had a KV3 for while, but I always thought of it as just a place holder for the Academy.

After much patience, I recently obtained a black one on Ebay for(what seems like) a relatively cheap $350. I have been listening to it for about 2 weeks now. No question, it is a far better match to my Fortes than the KV3, particularly at the top end. However, even though it is really good, it still isn't a perfect match. Guess I will have to wait to have enough space so that I can put a Heresy or another Forte in its place.

----------------

My setup has Forte 1s in front with a Heresy 1 center. To my ears, they match very well. The only time I can hear a difference is when I play test tones to set the volume. The Heresy has a slightly higher pitch, not much but enough that A/B playing of tones will show it up. Then again, the same pair of speakers have slightly different tones also due to room placement (I guess) so the short of the story is I like the match.

I am constantly amazed how forum members in general, not necessarily entomologist2004, wring their hands over price of an academy. If you take a step back and add up you speakers, electronics and software most of us probably have 10K invested at the low end and I would take a wild guess that most have 25K or more. 1000 here, 200 there, another 100 over there and it quickly adds up. Then you get to the most important speaker (my opinion) in a HT set up and spend years looking for a 300 dollar academy versus a 600 dollar one.

Since 1994 I have never, not owned an Academy. At one time I owned four. From my point of view if you have CII, FII or Quartet mains you simply must have an academy as a center. Unless of course you can fit another version of what your mains are.

Take a lunch to work, eat some mac-and-cheese for dinner, cheat on your taxes (dont skimp on the beer get Sierra Nevada or some other scrumptious brand) do whatever you have to do but get that Academy sooner not later. Life is too short; your ears will thank you.

There I got that off my chest. I too feel better.

Best of luck to all of you on your Academy quests. Just buy one and be done with it. The frustration of looking for a year only to get outbid is not worth the potential savings.

----------------

----------------

Naw, you're not a grouch. A few here just aren't too smart. I have thought about posting many times regarding the bannering here of items for sale on E-Bay and elsewhere. If one were to stop and think for a minute they would realize that a member here looking for a particular item will surely check the usual places regularly. By drawing the attention of thousands to the fact that an item is for sale just drives up prices. All I've got to do is lay back on my lazy a$$ and wait for one of our regulars to point out an item I might be interested in and then bid. Not that I am actually looking for anything currently, but I do bid on highly desireable items to hold and later sell for a profit to those with lots of money and little initiative.2.gif

Keith

OK, here is the deal! I got home, disconnected the Academy, switched the DBX amp over to three channel operation. In this configuration it is 125W X 2, and 400W X 1. The detail and impact of the center La Scala jumped up considerably since it has gobs of headroom and DeanG's custom modded DHAXover is just unreal!

Here is what I will offer, I will sell my Black Academy for $550 plus shipping costs. Let me get some photos together, I suck as a photographer though but will do my best.

It is in excellent condition but it does have six very small holes where the previous owner used tiny eye hooks to suspend it. They are tough to capture with the camera but they are there. I never see the top so it is no big deal to me. It also has a about an 1/8" ding on the bottom left rear area about an inch from the back if you are facing the speaker. This unit has Popbumper's K-Stack network in it and I will include the original network. This is a $200 upgrade by the way.

I have a big double walled box to send it in but I will need to buy some 2" & 1" solid foam so I can make a ultra pack job. Any doubts about my packing ability please see my eBay feedback under "Frzninvt"

Those that are looking for a trade I will consider a nice pair of Heresy or Heresy II's as a trade for the Academy.

Here a chance for someone to get a nice Academy with a killer network.