XLR BALANCED INPUT CABLES

dmethe3

I purchased my XLR's (for my B&K Ref.50 S2) from Blue Jeans Cable and I would gladly do it again IF I were in the market for XLR's. However.....

In hindsight (gleaned from the collective wisdom imparted here), I would've just gotten some RCA's. In a nutshell, if your equipment is housed such that it might pick up stray EMI or summat, then use XLR's. Otherwise, quality RCA's will do just fine.

Tom

You should also consider the equipment you're using. If you have a preamp that, internally, is not a fully balanced differential design, but just references the signal to the ground plane, and you have an amp that's also not internally balanced, but they both have balanced input/output connection options, then what's happening inside is the preamp is running the single ended signal through a phase splitter, putting that out throught the balanced outputs, and the amp is taking the signal in and basically doing the reverse. On short runs, in this situation, the single ended connections might well sound quite a bit better.

Conversely, if you have an amp and preamp like the BAT designs or something similar, where the whole signal path inside the amp and preamp is fully differencial balanced, then using single ended connections seems kind of silly.