UPS Problem

Drew in the desert

Hi there,

My fiance, being the cool chick that she is, bought me an RC-7 for my birthday. It is from an authorized dealer, but was shipped to my house. Anyway, after delivery I noticed the box was a bit beat up, but didn't look too bad. I opened the box, took out the speaker, and I heard something inside the cabinet rolling around. I looked through one of the ports on the back and saw taht the magnet structure from one of the woofers was completely broken off. Also, one of the cabinet corners was smashed.

I called UPS to file a claim and they are going to pick it up on Monday. I don't really know the claim process, but I'm sure it won't be resolved anytime soon.

My question is, should I contact the shipper to see if they can do anything about it? Perhaps it was damaged during shipping from the manufacturer.

I've been waiting to get the RC-7 to replace my RC-3 for a long time now. I guess I'll be waiting even longer.

Hopefully it was shipped insured...ask the shipper if they took that precaution. I've also experienced packages rough handled by UPS. Most recently I shipped a unit in for repairs in its original packing. Upon arrival there the outer box was so damaged that they replaced it with a new one. When I got the unit back the new outer box was bent, torn, cut, punched through and somewhat crushed. My son accepted the shipment, I wouldn't have. If not for the fact that this thing was double boxed it too would have sustained damage. Regardless I don't have a very useable outer box. Some while ago UPS drop shipped a box at my door. They rang the door bell and ran away. By the time I got to the door I saw them racing off. The box they left was so beat up that shipping peanuts were blowing all around my porch. Fortunately all that was in it was linens.

My experience with UPS is that you have to hound them before they pay up. Now, I am assuming that, when you got it, it appeard to be adequately packaged. If it was shipped with improper packing then I would hold the one shipping the package responsible and not UPS unless there is obvious damage done by mis-handling.

I had a speaker shipped to me wrapped in bubble wrap and then peanuts was thrown into the box to take up some of the extra space. Needless to say, the speaker was damaged when I received it but I didn't contact UPS, I contacted the seller and they helped make it right. You just don't know how disappointing it can be to receive your speaker packed in peanuts! What stupidity...

D

It was shipped in the original manufacturer's box, so I would consider that adequate packaging.

Reading on the UPS web site, they recommend the shipper file the claim with UPS. If that is the case, I would think that I could be left out of the whole claim process. The shipper is an authorized dealer that is about 45 minutes away from my house, so I could drive there and drop off the damaged speaker. Hopefully, they could supply me with a new speaker and do whatever they need to do with UPS and leave me out of it.

Yes, the shipper MUST file the claim!

The contract was between the shipper and UPS to ship the package - you have no standing in the case, except that you are the recipient who paid the shipper! You are a 3rd party who has a contract with the shipper (the dealer) to deliver an item. Your contract is with the dealer.

The entire contract is between the shipper and UPS. You will quickly discover that you have little to do with the porcess, except to be the voice that will not let them screw around and you will be the party who will have to be insistent that the issue not be dropped or resolved incorrectly.

Save ALL the shipping materials!!!

Guest Anonymous

If the authorized dealer you bought it from has any business sense, it would immediately swap out (if you were to drive the 45 minutes) the RC-7 and let them deal with the damaged product.

The bean counters at UPS years ago decided it was more cost effective to drop the your package on your doorstep and run without getting a signature and then make it hell to collect on a claim if anything is wrong. Hound the shipper and get them to ship you another RC-7 and let them deal with UPS.

May God be with you when trying to collect a claim from UPS. I have had 2 miserable experiences with them and I am convinced that their protocol is too make the whole process extremely complex and lengthy so the consumer says screw it and drops it. I also shipped a Rc3 center channel in double box and adequate packing. the speaker center tweeter was snapped off at the horn and was loose inside the speaker box. The box was intact so the only way a force could be created to cause this damage is by extreme mishandling. After months of "investigations" and routing it through probably half a dozen of employees I finally collected claim . If it ended here then it probably wouldnt be so bad but this was only the beginning. The claim on the rc3 was closed so it was to my surprise that 3 weeks later they came to my house when I was not home looking to pick up this damaged speaker. My garage door was open and it just so happened that I had a pair of brand new RF7s still in the box that I just bought the day before that i had not brought in the house yet. The moronic UPS driver was convinced that this RF7 speaker was the one he had to pick up so had one of my friends who was at home at the time sign it believing the UPS guy that this was the speaker to be picked up. As you know the rc3 weighs in at about 30 pounds and change while the massive RF7 with packing is probably over 100 pounds and is the size of refrigerator. The UPS driver obviously lacked any kind of common sense to realize that there was a massive descrepancy in size and weight and took the speaker. luckily my dealer replaced it with a new one and i had it in less than a week and now i am in the claims process to get reimbursed the amount so I could give the dealer the cost of that speaker. Yes you guessed it, UPS completely destroyed the speaker that was brand new in Klipsch packing. Both panels of the front and side where completely separated so basically the speaker cabinet was broken apart with the woofers and tweeters completely separated from the speaker. This process of claim is in the 5th month now and is still going through channels of their internal protocol B*S*. They dont even have the decency to expedite this process even though they were at complete fault and has never apologized once. I will never use UPS again and since this happened I have heard numerous cases of people with similiar experiences. The bottom line- use FEDEX

that doesnt necessarily mean shipping through another shipper is better. I had some RF-7s deliverd through Eagle "motor" Freight. Both boxes had huge gouges in it. Somehow through pure luck it didnt it the speaker itself. One gouge went through a grill, which the dealer replaced. But tahts certainly not the way to do business when it was supposed to be shipped by a company that is supposed to be better than UPS/Fedex...

Believe it or not, I've had great success with FedEx. Not perfect, but MUCH better than UPS who I will NEVER use again! Seems UPS rarely delivers a fragile package undamaged. It's almost like they do it puposely! Unfortunately, in most cases you have no choice which shipping company a merchant decides to use when sending you a product.

Like everyone else said, go back to your dealer and request a new speaker. If they want your future business, they'll most likely give you a new one and leave you out of the UPS battle. It's a shame you waited so long to get it only to wait longer.15.gif I know the feeling all too well.

Good luck!

An authorized Klipsch seller would be expected to take the damaged speaker back and give you a new one. They bear the headache with UPS.

When the shipper files the claim, UPS will ask to pick up the damaged package for inspection. So you'll prepare it to ship just as if.,...

UPS insurance cost most be outragous! I donts even use UPS anymores

cuz they damage too much, they did a delivery once of a DVD player I order online put it in the side garden hidden in the bushes, never left a note on the door to let us know, I kept calling the delivery status, they kept saying they delivered it, my Dad was doing some yard work and found the box soaking wet cuz it was raining the whole week, the player didn't work, too much dew collected inside. It was a pain gettin UPS to fess-up with it but my Dad got it done, but it took work on the phone and getting the UPS guy (who dumped it in the garden) over the house so my Dad could question him why he left no note on the door for us to know where he put it.

UPS always seem to crunch or dent boxes, some made it ok, some didnt, so now I dont use them, have better lucks with FedEx Ground, Fedex, or couple of small del. companies.

I spoke with the dealer that shipped the speaker and they are just going to swap out the damaged one with a new one. I decided that I will just make the trip to the dealer and pick it up instead of using UPS. Unfortunately, the dealer had to order another RC-7 from Klipsch since he didn't have one in stock. Needless to say, I'm relieved that the dealer is being so helpful and not making me jump through hoops to get this resolved.

so far i've never had any issues with UPS or Fedex ironically. the only thing that happened once was i bought some speaker cable on Ebay and UPS delivered it... to the wrong house and I happen to be there all day waiting fot the delivery, and i check the website and it says "delivered". I'm like "WTF!" and i called UPS immediately saying i never recieved anything, then they tried to find out what happened. somehow the idiot driver couldnt decipher what house it was supposed to be delivered to and just threw it at someone's doorstep. he went back and got it and got it to me, but never rang the doorbell either. I guess he was afraid i'd yell at him. His boss called back a few minutes later and sayd "did he deliver it to you yet? good, i was about to go kick his ***..."

I must say that UPS was pretty prompt in getting the situation resolved.

Last week bought a Transcendent Sound Ground Grid tube preamp from a forum member. He shipped it from Houston TX to Austin TX by FEdex. Took it out of the box and heard screwss rolling around, uh oh! Started to take the lid off but did not need a screwdriver since all the screws holding the lid in place were half unscrewed. Took off the lid and one of the circuit boards was turned a quarter turn away from the screw holes. One wire going from one circuit board to the quarter turned circiut board was not connected. Plus had screws inside the chassis rolling around.

Filed initial claim but decided to fix the wire and connected circuit board back to chassis. It happens with all carriers UPS, Fedex and whatever ohters. It seems that mine was fixable unfortunetly your is in worse shape. This is one negative with buying things over the internet since they have to ship it to you.

Hope it turns out okay!!

Xman

All shipping companies are evil. I a litte while back worked at an electronics store where they had a discrepancy with a supplier so basically we had to send back all these printers. coughepsonscough So here we are with about I believe 3 tons of printers being sent back. It covered a 50 foot wall and was about 7 feet tall... I was the closing back of house person at the time so it was me and the fedex guy. At first we used handtrucks with that convert to a dolly like thing. So it took forever cause there was a curb to the truck so we had to individually have throw each item in. So the fedex guy under the time pressure just goes over to my dolly and tips all my printers over behind the truck and that how we sorta did it for the rest of the time. Tip the cart over which was about 15 printers about 5 feet high and then throw the printers as far back into the truck. This was the extra long truck cause they saw how much weight we had to send back so this was the fedex super ground truck. In order to create space we basically chucked the printers as far far back as we could. Sinmple it would have taken massive time to individually place them. Usually the fedex guy would underhand throw small boxes into the rack and let them slide down. But at the end it took us still about 1 and a half hours to get everything in. And that printer company will find like half the printers not functional I wonder why 5.gif