Great DVD-A Recording

JohnA

Some time ago i bought Telarc's DVD-a of Erich Kunzel's 1812 Ovature and some other "stuff". I thought it was just a remixing of the original direct to disc and didn't open it, .... until this afternoon.

My Upgaded ACT-3 had been in for repair of lightning damage and I was troubleshooting the 7.1 analog pass-through (disconnected ribon cable). To test the system I opened that DVD-A (plus listened to others) and found out it is an entirely new recording. It is deserving of the label awesome!

First, the surround channels are not over-mixed and distracting like most other 5.1 music I have. Rumours on DVD-A is just horrible; don't bother. The surrounds fit in perfectly and add a lot to the hearing. Second, the Kiev Symphony Chorus and the Cincinnati Children's Choir sing in this version and it sounds like they are almost all of the way around you. They seem to be singing in Russian (duh?) and it is so tight and professional! For this version, they found the original cannoneers used in the 1978 recording and did it over again with better technology. Even my wife was impressed and my 12-year-old son grinned really big at the end and said, "Awesome!" The cannon blasts made both of them flinch several times. (My 14-year-old son is too cool to react.) Sitting in the sweet spot, the cannons sound very much like I think real ones would sound; an initial crack followed quickly by a boom.

This is a must have if you have a DVD-A capable player and have even passing interest in classical music.

Lightning damage? Living in Chattanooga? Who would of thought that...6.gif

I've never been really impressed with Kunzel's recordings, but thanks for the lead John. We're more into Sibelius, Mahler, Berlioz, but might have to check it out. (Oops.. I only have two channel. I was getting carried away)

Bruce

You should know I am highly ignorant of "classical" music. I like this recording for its technical merits and its entertainment value. I will sit through this recording, but not many others. He could be an awful conductor/arranger and I wouldn't know it.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I've got an upgraded ACT-3 myself and just picked up a DVD-A player.

What do I need (as far as an interface) to allow my ACT-3 to take the full analog DVD-A signal.

I don't have an upgraded ACT-3 manual so I've been trying to figure this one out!

Thanks,

Jay Henderson

The upgraded ACT-3 has a computer connector on the back that is the analog pass-through. I got a 7.1 pass through cable from Cobalt Audio that has phono connectors on one end and the correct computer connector and pin-out on the other. I forget what it cost, $80?

Thanks for the referal!!

If I may, the best use of DVD-A I have heretofore found is in the remastering of the Grateful Dead's American Beauty and Workingman's Dead.

If you are a fan, they are MUST HAVES, as they are radically transformed by Mickey Hart, and actually use the format to great advantage!

An excellent example of the potential of the format!