Beautiful Shorthorn on Ebay

kev313

I usually try not to post these things so as not to foster a bidding war between forum members, but this went unsold once already and have been relisted by the seller (who I am not affiliated with):

http://cgi.ebay.com/KLIPSCH-KLIPSCHHORN-CORNER-SHORTHORN-HORN-SHORT_W0QQitemZ5795969277QQcategoryZ61378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ae_1_b.JPG

Interesting speakers, I was looking a pictures of them opened up in the forums.

I don't understand the theory of their operation. The woofer fires forward. In back of the woofer is an empty cabinet with a vertical slit opening down the lenght. After this, it has the corner horn setup like a K-horn, using the walls as and extension of the horn. But what is it "horning"? The backward movements of the woofer? It seems like an unworkable mix of bass horn and bass reflex. How well do they sound? I'm sure the bass could not be nearly as good and accurate and a K-horn.

reznil

2 klipshorns (1974), 2 Heresys (1983) Outlaw 750 amp, soundblaster 2 ZS card.

Not quite an "unworkable mix", but you're right, certainly not as good as the Klipschorn, but what is?!

While the Shorthorn is an outstanding LOOKING speaker, it leaves a bit to be desired soundwise. The Cornwall is a more balanced ported loudspeaker, for instance.

PWK eventually dropped the Shorthorn from the line somewhat before the advent of mass-market stereo (very short lifespan compared to all other PWK designs), so most of the Shorthorns are unmatched solo cabinets. Beautiful, though.

Here is the Shorthorn patent drawing. There are alot of versions of "shorthorn-like" speakers out there, some of which might sound better than the Klipsch version, but IMO don't look as nice! That is a fit-and-finish to die for!

shorthorn_1.jpg

DM

post-13458-138192690724_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 8/11/2005 11:26:22 PM mike stehr wrote:

Sell it on eBay.....
----------------

Or you could listen to it, you grumpy cuss!2.gif

An old Heathkit mono rig; tuner, pre, W5M... it'd make a kool little set up.

My old University horn is way to big to be that kind of fun. Came with the Heath pre and W5M, though.

I guess if you wanted to be creative you could make your Khorns look like a large shorthorn. You could fit a frame for the whole Khorn front and put a large cloth grill over it all.

Then you would have the best of both worlds. That would be a job for an expert carpenter.

----------------

On 8/12/2005 7:41:38 AM intotubes wrote:

Would the Shorthorn make a reasonable center speaker for two CW's or Khorns?.
----------------

Nope - not a good match at all.

In my mind you would only get this speaker for the historical perspective (or as a collector to fill out your Klipsch collection) or for the novelty. They are, to my ear, one of the poorer performers. They can be flat out pretty and my guess is that is why they were made.