7.1 with the RF 7 series

erikm121

Hi,

Got my speakers for 5.1, rf, rc and rs 7's. While I am in the process of finishing out my basement, what speakers would go with these for 7.1? Anything small? Are the built in speakers any good? I would like something small and unobtrusive if at all possible..... Thanks

The best setup that I found out to be is using direct monopole speakers such as RF3s or RB-75 bookshelfs for surround side duty, which could be used also for DVD-A sound. For multichannel audio the RS7 or other WDST speakers are not nearly as strong as the direct radiating speakers. I would then use your RS7s for surrouond back for 6.1 or 7.1 duties.

there was a head on comparison in, I think audioholic magazine, that compared monopole versus WDST speakers for surround back and surround sides. They found that the best setup was using direct monopoles as surround sides and using 2 of the di or bipoles for surround back duties.

Another popular option is using RF3s as surround side A which can be used for multichannel audio and use RS7 as surround side B which can be used for movies and use RS7 1or2 as surround back. This option is better if your prefer the WDST speakers for movies.

Good luck, hope this helps

erikm121: My 7.1 setup has RF-7s up from along with an RC-7, 2, RS-7s, and RSW-15 and fo the rear channels I commisioned a pair of RCW-5s installed into the walls. They seem to do a great job with the rest of the system and of course, they stay out of my way! 2.gif

Why not check out my setup at the URL below?

I have just set up my 7.2 RF-7 system, so I though I´d post some pics. Might be interesting for you. I am sitting very close to the rear wall, so I had to find a solution that works for the rear surrounds. I mounted them overhead which makes them sound "further away". I tried to mount them right behind me, which made it nearly impossible to hear a difference between surrounds and rear surrounds. As the human ear is unable to precisely locate sounds that come from behind the overhead mounting works good in my "ears".

post-18567-13819269111206_thumb.jpg

Here's a conflicting test that says dipoles for surrounds and back surrounds works best for home theater...

http://www.hometheatermag.com/loudspeakers/25/index.html

----------------

On 8/10/2005 1:40:28 AM bertsummerkids wrote:

...The best setup that I found out to be is using direct monopole speakers such as RF3s or RB-75 bookshelfs for surround side duty, which could be used also for DVD-A sound. For multichannel audio the RS7 or other WDST speakers are not nearly as strong as the direct radiating speakers. I would then use your RS7s for surrouond back for 6.1 or 7.1 duties.

there was a head on comparison in, I think audioholic magazine, that compared monopole versus WDST speakers for surround back and surround sides. They found that the best setup was using direct monopoles as surround sides and using 2 of the di or bipoles for surround back duties....

----------------