Spiking RF7s

Gliderguy

I have my new RF7s. They are not spiked and are sitting on the carpet.

I doubt I will be able to use the included Klipsch spikes because the 7s are damm heavy and I cannot easily get them positioned without being able to slide them a bit on the carpet. These things need handles.

The carpet is typical berber with a 1/2 pad.

Are there aftermarket spiked platforms available? ( I assume there are) I can imagine placing these spiked platforms and then placing the speakers onto the platforms - a two step process that would make the whole ordeal of placing spiked speakers much easier.

Any recommendations for spiked platforms? I would like them as low as possible - platforms rather than stands.

And what characteristic in SQ am I losing or enforcing with these 7s while they are sitting on the carpet?

I am getting good results with the stock spikes screwed directly into the base, not using the plastic feet. Bass is better defined and high frequencies are cleaner. I suspect both audio results are due to reduced cabinet vibration because the speaker is more firmly "attached" to the floor.

Leo

I have klf30s would spiking them be better? I don't understand the spike thing what do spikes do? do they isolate the speaker better than the plasic feet I have now? if so where can I get them for them the same place as above does Klipsch sell them? thanks for the help Rich

My understanding is, spikes create a better mechanical "attachment" of the speaker base to the floor. It's like bolting the speaker to the floor, but you don't have to use bolts. The result is, there is less cabinet vibration. Speaker cabinet vibration does have negative impact of speaker sound of all frequencies, so less of it is a good thing.

Leo

Attached is a picture of RF-7's with spikes connected to the plastic feet. Getting the speaker off the carpet does tighten up the bass a considerable amount. However, as was stated, make sure your placement is final because moving the speaker with spikes on is a bear.

post-13790-1381926912648_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I have my RF7s spiked into the plastic feet on a timber floor with similar berber carpet to the previous picture.

I have no trouble at all moving them around the room.I simply tilt the speaker from the opposite direction I want it to go and spin it 180degrees from the one spike.Then do the same thing until I've walked the speaker into position.Never looked like damaging the carpet or the speakers.I guess you could spike the speakers directly without the plastic feet but the outriggers are designed to limit the movement of the speakers so I left them on.
:-)

I have my RF7s spiked into the plastic feet on a timber floor with similar berber carpet to the previous picture.

I have no trouble at all moving them around the room.I simply tilt the speaker from the opposite direction I want it to go and spin it 180degrees from the one spike.Then do the same thing until I've walked the speaker into position.Never looked like damaging the carpet or the speakers.I guess you could spike the speakers directly without the plastic feet but the outriggers are designed to limit the movement of the speakers so I left them on.

:-)

I'm doing right now what he is doing and find it easy to gently walk the speakers around. Trying it without the plastic outboard extensions sounds good though because we have no children or big pets running around.