Class A Amp SS

shload

At the upper end of the price range is the venerable Classe DR-3 and DR-3-VHC (for very high current).

At the lower end of the price range is, as you have suggested, the Forte Model 4 or 4A (the "A" has balanced outputs).

Either way, you'll have one of the very finest solid state amps around...regardless of price. They're both masterpieces.

----------------

On 8/10/2005 7:33:10 PM crazytubepower wrote:

For about $400-500 you can get an aragon 2004 100wpc pure class A, designed by krell! Great value

----------------

I'm pretty certain that this is NOT pure class A. It might be AB, heavily biased toward A. The 4004 is the 200wpc version and it is DEFINITELY NOT class A.

Well I drove down to DC today and picked up a pair of Forte Model 7 monoblocks. It's early but they seem to be working OK with the Modsquad passive. 2 sides of vinyl and some Cd, shows a huge stage with everything sounding more real or live. A little laid back, but for me that is a good thing. I took these over a Sugden and the Monarchy amps. Always fun to get new "Stuff"

Joe

The better models of the venerable Yamaha integrated amps could be switched to run in Class A. Inefficient as heck, of course, and hot as blazes, but fine sounding in that mode. If you like ss ;-)

EDIT: The "normal/Class A" OPERATION switch in the CA-1010 in the photo is barely visible to the right of the speaker selector... looks to be in "Class A", to boot!

http://www.thevintageknob.org/YAMAHA/CA1010/CA1010.html

CA1010-mass