Trying to decide which Center...System Info, etc... included...

Tim_in_NC

Hi all,

I'm wanting to take my old KV-1 that I'm currently using as my center and move it to the rear to complete the 6.1 system... I want to replace it with either a RC-25, RC-35, RC-3, or RC-3 II ... I would love to have the RC-7 but Size and $ are the main factors against this...

My mains consist of the RP-5's ... and for those of you who don't exactly remember the RP-5's, they are very similar to the RF-5's except they each contain a Powered Sub. ... These mains were originally intended to be matched with the RC-3 but I'm not sure if the newer RC's would be better than finding a used RC-3 or RC-3 II ...

I'll be pushing these speakers by using my Yamaha RXV-1300 as a pre-amp to a Marantz MM-9000 Amp (150 x 5) ...

Oh yea, for rears I'm using some Jamo Floorstanding speakers that I've had for a while and really love 'em ... I may look into changing these out for some used SS-1's or even new RS-25's or RS-35's ...

Let me know what you all think...

Thanks,

TIM

You're on the right track. Just remember that your L/R speakers are LARGE full range speakers, so you should attempt to get as close as possible with your center speaker. I know it's not what you want to hear, but a RC7 would be a much better match than any of the '3' lineup. RC3II will have the benefit of front ports, aiding placement, but it falls horribly short of the tremendous sound of the RC7.

Remember, it's the center, the DIALOG channel. It is critical for HT listening. And you only have to buy ONE of them. Check around here, I think lots of guys are like me and buy them at first for their Heritage setups, then rethink the timbre-matching issue and obtain or build a Heritage-type center speakers. Hence, RC7's come us for sale used quite often.

Michael

Thanks for the reply...

I'd love to have an RC-7 but I don't see any way to place it...

Because of the layout of the room, my 57" Toshiba 57HDX82 is placed in a corner... I may be able to install a Shelf in the corner, not sure... but I deffinetly don't think my Projection would be able to support the close to 42 lbs. of the RC-7 ... Maybe I'm wrong... Any experience with this?

Thanks,

TIM

Hi,

There is actually a small lip at the very front of the stand and rubber pads for the bottom the the RC-7....I never had to do anything with the RC-7 except lift it up there and make sure it was square.....It is close to 50lbs...It isn't going anywhere....

Mark