Superbit DVD sale at BB

MrMcGoo

Best Buy has many Superbit DVDs on sale for $9.99. This is half price or below. Superbits usually have a DTS sound track and a great picture. I suspect that they are being dumped in anticipation of high definition DVD.

Stay away from the Superbit version of Crouching Tiger and Lawrence of Arabia. Crouching Tiger does NOT have an English sound track and Lawrence has poor lighting. The standard versions are much better on those two IMO.

Bill

You might want to check with the Best Buys in your area . There is no sale on Superbit DVD's here . I should have called before I made the trip . Oh well , I picked up the special edition DVD of Monty Pythons Holy Grail while I was there , been wanting to retire the VHS one for awhile . 7.gif

The Crouching Tiger Superbit has an excellent picture, but no English sound track.

Superbit DVDs have a higher video bit rate which translates to a better picture in both 480i and 480p.

xXx has a great DTS sound track. The plot is a bit weak, but I enjoy this one anyway.

Bill

No superbit DVD sale here either, but plenty of $9.99 - $14.99 movies. Ended up bringing home Untouchables, Unbreakable, & the 2 Tomb Raider movies for $40. Yeah Tomb Raider isn't exactly Oscar Winning stuff, but they're still entertaining. Somehow.

Not sure about the other BB's, but the one here has a habit of selling sets of movies for cheap on occasion. Ex: the 2 Tombraider movies for $15, Pitch Black & Chronicles of Riddick for $20, etc.

----------------

On 8/14/2005 8:32:09 PM D-Rex wrote:

Willy, go to bestbuy.com. Most are on sale there but you do have to pay an extra 1.50 each for shipping.

D
----------------

Hi D , I went to BB.com and theres no sale going on there either ; other than the box set of 5th El. , Desperado , and Slouching Tiger . $9.95 ! What agreat deal for 3 Superbits ! Shame I already have all of them . Oh well , I'll call the store here every week until they put them on sale . What Gives? On sale in NC , not on sale in SC ?

----------------

On 8/13/2005 6:49:29 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

...Stay away from the Superbit version of Crouching Tiger and Lawrence of Arabia. Crouching Tiger does NOT have an English sound track...

Bill

----------------

Thanks for the tip about the DVDs... but may I ask why you want an English soundtrack on a Chinese movie? Dubbing is one of the worst things you can do to a foreign film. Even if done semi-well (which is the best one could hope for), it still ruins the native rhythm of the dialogue. I'll take subtitles over dubbing any day.

I disagree , Kung Pow Enter The Fist , Has some great dubbing . Very Entertaining . By the way , I lived in Phx. AZ for a couple of years and one of my guilty pleasures was to watch Kung Fu movies on the Spanish channel . Anybody seen The Seven Samuria dubbed in Spanish ? It's a Hoot ! IMO 10.gif

Why would I want to listen to an English sound track of a Chinese movie? So I do not have to strain my eyes just to watch a movie. Second, you cannot watch what is happening in a scene if you have to read the dialog at the same time. Third, there are significant differnces between the subtitles and the dialog. Fourth, why not have both the Mandarin and the English sound tracks rather than limit yourself to Mandarin? Other than those issues, it is no big deal.

Bill

----------------

On 8/16/2005 1:07:20 PM sunburnwilly wrote:

----------------

On 8/14/2005 8:32:09 PM D-Rex wrote:

Willy, go to bestbuy.com. Most are on sale there but you do have to pay an extra 1.50 each for shipping.

D
----------------

Hi D , I went to BB.com and theres no sale going on there either ; other than the box set of 5th El. , Desperado , and Slouching Tiger . $9.95 ! What agreat deal for 3 Superbits ! Shame I already have all of them . Oh well , I'll call the store here every week until they put them on sale . What Gives? On sale in NC , not on sale in SC ?

----------------

No way!! I went to bestbuy.com and loaded up the basket with 9.99 superbits! Everything from Spider-Man 1 and 2 to Gattaca and Bram Stoker's Dracula. I then just hoped over to BB today and bought most of them I wanted (I forgot Spider-Man 2, bummer.)

I bought the following although I didn't really need/want them:

Fifth Element (already have it)

A Knight's Tale (already have it)

Heavy Metal (would consider keeping)

And then I bought these to keep:

Gattaca (anyone seen this, I haven't heard much about it?)

Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Patriot

Legends of the Fall

Underworld

I thought hard on MIB I and II but ultimately said no. It was just weird seeing these DVS that I have wanted for so long on sale for 9.99! I might have to go back for more if the sale lasts for too long!

Later,

D

Seriously , I went to the website yesterday . I checked the items they had on sale . I entered Superbit on their search engine , and the only thing that came up was the 3 DVD set of Desperado , 5th Element , and Crouching Tiger For $9.99 . Great deal but none the less could find nothing on their web site to indicate a sale on Superbit DVD's , and belive me , I looked . Oh well the only one I don't have and want is Das Boot . I guess I'll just have to get used to the fact that I live in SC and have to pay full price for Superbit DVD's . Then again , property tax has gone thru the roof too . LOL :(

----------------

On 8/16/2005 11:55:54 PM sunburnwilly wrote:

Seriously , I went to the website yesterday . I checked the items they had on sale . I entered Superbit on their search engine , and the only thing that came up was the 3 DVD set of Desperado , 5th Element , and Crouching Tiger For $9.99 . Great deal but none the less could find nothing on their web site to indicate a sale on Superbit DVD's , and belive me , I looked . Oh well the only one I don't have and want is Das Boot . I guess I'll just have to get used to the fact that I live in SC and have to pay full price for Superbit DVD's . Then again , property tax has gone thru the roof too . LOL
:(

----------------

Don't restrict your search to 'superbit' because it won't pull them all up. Search directly for 'das boots' or whichever other ones you would want.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=5282142&type=product&id=25698

D