Business as usual for Microsoft

Parrot

Besides that point, I was looking at the larger picture of Microsoft never originating anything themselves but always copying other designers' innovations, altering them slightly, and then behaving ruthlessly. That's Bill Gates for you, you remember him, the visionary who saw no future for the internet except maybe for some email.

MS patented something that Apple patented after the iPod came out, both patents were made after the iPod came out, apparently both address it (somehow), and well.. MS got it and apple didn't.

That doesn't mean Apple can't re-apply for it.

Still stupid though, uh I'm not sure that a company who has stock skyrocketing like Apple, or the huge "following", is "badly managed".

That'd be like saying Logitech is better managed than klipsch because more gamers buy their speakers. 14.gif

----------------

On 8/14/2005 9:39:49 AM Parrot wrote:

Besides that point, I was looking at the larger picture of Microsoft never originating anything themselves but always copying other designers' innovations, altering them slightly, and then behaving ruthlessly. That's Bill Gates for you, you remember him, the visionary who saw no future for the internet except maybe for some email.

----------------

This is the strong point of Microsoft,they are smart.YOU do the work and THEY profit from it 9.gif

The hard working peons sweat and the boss collects sitting his 300lbs frame in the comfy chair.Nothing new

----------------

On 8/14/2005 12:18:09 AM Malcolm wrote:

So, the point is that Microsoft is a better managed company than Apple? If so, this has always been the case.

----------------

I'm sure someone like Gil could clarify further... but I believe that given the sequence of events, Apple can avoid paying any royalties based on the fact the Microsoft applied for the patent after Apple's product was released.

If it can't, it only proves how meaningless the US patents have become... and I may consider applying for a patent on the concept of "public transport"... 4.gif

Rob

"Besides that point, I was looking at the larger picture of Microsoft never originating anything themselves but always copying other designers' innovations, altering them slightly, and then behaving ruthlessly. That's Bill Gates for you, you remember him, the visionary who saw no future for the internet except maybe for some email."

I bet you're using IE to compose this post, Parrot!

Bill Gates is always thinking 5-10 years ahead.

Most other large corporations do buy their innovations from other smaller companies, witness the consumer products, children's toys and food industries!

Al Gore and Congress did privatize and give away the military's ARPnet, they also formed a private government committee (CANN) to regulate Network Solutions and set prices for domain names: if that didn't create the Internet - then what did?

10.gif

----------------

On 8/16/2005 8:32:01 AM Colin wrote:

Al Gore and Congress did privatize and give away the military's ARPnet, they also formed a private government committee (CANN) to regulate Network Solutions and set prices for domain names: if that didn't create the Internet - then what did?

----------------

Lawrence G. Roberts ... (Larry Roberts) (but he didn't "technically" invent it either)

With that logic... Philips/Sony are responsible for the Compact Disk... so would that mean that they created the Dark Side of the Moon. Perhaps the inventor of the microphone did? 2.gif

Rob

----------------

On 8/14/2005 8:48:47 PM sputnik wrote:

----------------

On 8/14/2005 11:54:09 AM dtel wrote:

At least they diden't claim they invented the internet like that goofball al gore.

----------------

----------------

I checked this link out and I have to conclude that the statement by Al Gore:

"I took the initiative to create the internet..."

initiative : (n) ascendancy, ingenuity, plan, resourcefulness, enterprise, advantage, lead

create: (v) invent, establish, originate, fashion, form, make, build, construct, design

explicitly MEANS that Al Gore had and "took the initiative" to personally create the internet, regardless of the hyperbole employed by the website in question, which is quite biased in order to regard the above statement as meaning anything other than what it clearly states in standard English. The term "create" explicity implies that it (the internet) was brought to existance from a state of non-existance.

If he intended to say that he merely enhanced its utility, or promoted its further development, then the term "create" is clearly inappropriate to that description.

Yes, he said it, I quoted it, and it's inarguably clear.

He's an ***.

DM2.gif