subwoofer for klf-20s?

tdavis

Many options from mild to wild, if you are handy with tools, you can even buy a kit or assemble your own from scratch.

Parts Express has subwoofers available in kit form, even the cabinet is assembled. All that is needed is to install the driver and amp ( if the kit is an active subwoofer ), add the legs and voila~.

There are also many good subwoofers available on the market, but the most bang for the buck is in the kit / DIY / or direct market sales.

----------------

On 8/15/2005 6:37:33 PM michael hurd wrote:

Many options from mild to wild, if you are handy with tools, you can even buy a kit or assemble your own from scratch.

Parts Express has subwoofers available in kit form, even the cabinet is assembled. All that is needed is to install the driver and amp ( if the kit is an active subwoofer ), add the legs and voila~.

There are also many good subwoofers available on the market, but the most bang for the buck is in the kit / DIY / or direct market sales.

----------------

Why do I see YOU always pushing kits? Are we not Klipsch fans on a Klipsch forum? 14.gif

You watched one too many Bob Villa shows in your day and now all you do is assemble kits.A big doit yourselfer huh.

LOL

Nothing against kits BTW. 3.gif Good we are not on a coffin forum or you would probably point on building one LOL

2.gif

To answer the original question.

I would look at the Klipsch RSW15 with KLF's,or look at the dual dB12 PB2-Plus subwoofer.PB2-Plus has the edge on deep bass.

kits are a great way to learn about speakers even more and to give something to do to many people. I find woodworking a great hobby. BTW take a look the ear. My DIY enclosure for dual tumults (shakes fist at adire) sealed, 1.5 inch thick sides, 3/4 inch bracing. etc etc etc will give a piano black gloss finish

Subwoofer%20043.jpg

post-13377-13819269240134_thumb.jpg

Wow. That's a lot of fluff on your internal bracing for something that is going to be hidden. Why not just cut 2 large squares, jigsaw a large circle on the inside of each and install them parallel to the shortest dimension equidistant from the ends and themselves? Very strong, yet still keep from creating their own internal airspaces.

eh I got creative with autocadd.....

Plus I thought it looked cool. I can literally sit on the bracing and it won't break. BTW they look great after a 1/4 inch roundover to each side. And they weigh I would put at 2 pounds or so a brace.

BTW my parents thought it was a flower pot holder if the thing is standing vertically.

----------------

On 8/16/2005 11:48:38 PM TheEAR wrote:

Great work on the cabinet! I agree with CAS your bracing is a bit on the "complex" side.Bit even if it is hidden it feels good to know the job is done ..beyond well and even looks good on the inside.
2.gif

----------------

4.gif

BTW I forgot to mention before. Yes the brace is very complex but if you actually look at the holes there is a reason. Within the holes you can see a honeycomb shape. The shape of the cereal too... That in nature is one of the strongest shapes. Found in nanotubes (future) to carbon fiber (formula 1 cars and expensive tennis rackets etc) to domes (radar domes) etc. That piece of wood I can say on the edge is just as strong as a full piece of wood. But now minus the lost volume and superior strength to boot. Also with responce to CAS, I don't believe my bracing actually inhibits airflow within the enclosure. As it is a dual subwoofer sealed enclosure, I don't have as much disturbance with say a port or even passive radiator. And since the speaker will push the air equally on both sides, the air is technically balanced and so forth. And if not hopefully the holes let the air circulate.

BTW this cabinet is designed for two tumult 15d2. I expect anechoic with winisd of max spl of 120 anechoic and about 113 anechoic at 20 hertz. With a QTC of about .801 yeah not so great though this cabinet was actually built upon the original tumult and not the newly spec tumult... I would have had a .700 flat qtc responce on the old tumult. Also I'm hoping for a nice piano black finish. And if I get bored with this enclosure which is 20 by 20 by 30 1.5 inch thick mdf, 2.25 for the baffle, I already have my next enclosure designed on autocadd. A 24 by 24 by 60 inch enclosure that will resemble the everest by acoustic vision with a twist, instead of 4 18 inch pr I will have 6. That gives me a -3 of about 17 hertz and a -6 at 15 hertz. BTW it is absolutely flat above 19 hertz at about 122 decibals anechoic. talk about low end there! But I'm thinking of new creative ways of building subwoofers. I want to in the future build a cylinder, ported, pr, sand filled, cement filled, spherical? etc etc.

And with your curves and circles I surely hope, son, that you have accurately calculated your internal airspace to within 5% (putting pi wholeheartedly to use). By the pics it appears to have no parabolic edges, but those 1/4" roundovers on 48 circles (96 with both sides) are gonna cost you as well. 2.gif3.gif

Call me a geek, but I just figured it to be 12.96 in^3 (or 0.0075 ft^3) for 48 3 in circles.

The circumference of the circle times the area of the roundover (taken by a quarter the area of a full 1/2 in diameter circle subtracted from a quarter of a 1/2 in sided square) times 96 edges.

area of a cylinder = pi * radius(squared) * height

~3.14 * 1.5 ((squared)= 2.25) * .75 = 5.3 * 48 circles = 254.47 cubic inches = 0.15 cubic feet

but the circles are 2 inches so 3.14 * 1 * .75 = 113.1 cubic inches = 0.07 cubic feet

"Call me a geek, but I just figured it to be 12.96 in^3 (or 0.0075 ft^3) for 48 3 in circles."

father your wrong 2.gif3.gif9.gif

oh I just realised you meant the round over. I choose that method primarily sinces it looked nice, was relatively quick. Took about 10 minutes top for all 96 sides using a router. Plus I believe it will cut down on turbulance inside the sub as the tumult will do inside the cabinet. Don't want to make air turbulance noise inside the cabinet would yah?

----------------

On 8/17/2005 5:36:16 PM tdavis wrote:

I now have a PARADIGM ps-1000. i am thinking i need more.

----------------

What kind of budget you looking at? I agree the ps-1000 is small for klf20's ... if budget permits, I'd look into the RSW12... or even the RSW15.

They are technically the match for the klf20's successor, the RF5 / RF7... and should do much better at keeping up.

Rob

----------------

On 8/16/2005 6:16:20 PM Jay481985 wrote:

eh I got creative with autocadd..... Plus I thought it looked cool.

----------------

I can understand where you are coming from... for just a little more effort, you can say you made no comprmises. 1.gif I did a similar thing with my internal braces... Nice work. Too bad for Adire's Tumult change, is the final pricing out yet? Perhaps you can pickup a couple of used drivers at HTF...

Rob

----------------

On 8/19/2005 12:07:14 AM formica wrote:

----------------

On 8/16/2005 6:16:20 PM Jay481985 wrote:

eh I got creative with autocadd..... Plus I thought it looked cool.

----------------

I can understand where you are coming from... for just a little more effort, you can say you made no comprmises.
1.gif
I did a similar thing with my internal braces... Nice work. Too bad for Adire's Tumult change, is the final pricing out yet? Perhaps you can pickup a couple of used drivers at HTF...

Rob

----------------

Why Thank You

I remember your bracing with that huge enclosure you made. I believe it was a AV - 15?

Final pricing is not out nor is there even pictures (shakes fist at adire)

Used drivers.... eh I rather buy two new ones (hey if you have tumults I bet you would blast them too...) and stuff the enclosure. If that does not work then then I guess equalize it.

----------------

On 8/19/2005 9:45:47 PM OU Sig wrote:

ya I would like to hear more about this also - anyone actually have the KLF20s with a good sub?

----------------

KLF20 do bass quite well, so you have to pair them up with a "capable" subwoofer, and hence my Klipsch RSW12 or RSW15 recommendation.

We could recommend more expensive units too, but you didn't state your budget nor your preferred listening volume.

What would you like your sub to do for you? 1.gif

Rob

----------------

On 8/19/2005 9:45:47 PM OU Sig wrote:

ya I would like to hear more about this also - I have the KLF20s and the KLFC7 - I need some surrounds and a sub to go with them. I was looking at the RS25 surronds. But anyway - anyone actually have the KLF20s with a good sub?

----------------

if you can find some ksp-s6 surrounds they are awesome.

in a sub i want something to complement the klf20s for at or less than $1000 if that is possible.