subwoofer for klf-20s?

tdavis

----------------

On 8/20/2005 2:34:07 PM tdavis wrote:

in a sub i want something to complement the klf20s for at or less than $1000 if that is possible.

----------------

But that doesn't tell us what you want. You mention that this is mostly for HT, but does it need to be musical too? Are you after SPL or extension? Some people are fine with 130dB at 40Hz, but others of us would rather have 115dB @ 20Hz.

I don't think you'd be unssatisfied with any of the RSW subs or even the new Sub-12 for that matter. There is of course the SVS route (svsubwoofers.com) and the reason we always suggest kits or DIY is because you can design it specifically to your room (and take into account your room gain, position and size options).

"what i want is when a cannon goes off it sounds like a cannon. when there is an earthquake then it sounds like an earthquake. like you are there."

How about an infinite baffle subwoofer? Do you have an adjoining room/ crawlspace/unfinished attic that you could use?

If the DIY infinite baffle is a possibility, there are several webpages on FAQ's. To sum up, loud low bass requires a lot of displacement. More displacement = less distortion + more gain.

This is a good thread ( scan of a magazine article by me ) on an IB system. However, it can be duplicated in many different ways, less drivers, smaller power amp, etc.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=68463&sessionID={7929F280-8FEB-492D-A0E1-ACF237325784}

One of the major advantages to an IB is the lack of a large cabinet located in the listening area.

FOR 1000$

- if size and colour aren't critical, and performance is your first priority, I'd look at SVS PB12-ISD/2 but it's BIG black and bold.

- if size and colour IS a factor ... you can get an SVS PB12-Plus which is smaller and is available in nice wood veneer... at additional cost (veneer would push the price just over 1000$)

- if COST and size is factor... there is the Klipsch Sub12 which runs significantly less than that amount, there is no shipping since it's available at BestBuy, and you can kinda audition it in store.

FOR 1500$

- if size and finish are factors, the Klipsch RSW12 definitely fall within that price range... not sure what the RSW15 costs in the US though (Jay says 1300$, which puts it into the range). Given your room isn't huge, this may be the way to go.

- if size isn't a factor, I'd look at the SVS PB12-Plus/2 in a wood veneer. If black is good enough, you can save 200$...

Remember SIZE is one of the critical items which dictates performance and cost of a sub... in other words, the larger a subwoofer you are willing to live with, the less it'll cost you versus it's performance. Some of these units I recommended are quite large because of this, and making a mock-up in your room to visualise the size is a good starting point.

Hope this gives you some ideas of what to look at...

Rob

If size and color isn't a concern I'd build a sonosub like I did. 2 Tempests and a plate amp. Can go with a cheaper amp and do the whole thing for probably $600-$700. Also there are better drivers out, but I went most bang for the buck.

U-571 depth charges will make your pants move. I'm talking MAJOR impact. I've heard nothing commercially that comes close, but I'm sure there are subs that will for mega bucks.

I'll also second the IB sub as that's what I'm building in a few weeks.

If you're reasonbly handy with tools and enjoy the challenge I say go with DIY.

As for KLF-20's or 30's as I have both, they ROCK with this sub. I've NEVER failed to put a grin on someone's face when they hear my set-up. It does take a LOT of bass to compliment the Legends...

• 9 years later...

area of a cylinder = pi * radius(squared) * height

~3.14 * 1.5 ((squared)= 2.25) * .75 = 5.3 * 48 circles = 254.47 cubic inches = 0.15 cubic feet

but the circles are 2 inches so 3.14 * 1 * .75 = 113.1 cubic inches = 0.07 cubic feet

If you ever pass through Alabama you may have to use 3 instead of 3.14. :o

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alabama's Slice of Pi

ALBMA020110331slc73v0pi

Houston Chronicle

Associated Press

758 Words

1 April 2015

English

Copyright 2015

Alabama's Slice of Pi

HOUSTON, TX. — NASA engineers and mathematicians in this high-tech city are stunned and infuriated after the Alabama state legislature narrowly passed a law yesterday redefining pi, a mathematical constant used in the aerospace industry. The bill to change the value of pi to exactly three was introduced without fanfare by Leonard Lee Lawson (R, Crossville), and rapidly gained support after a letter-writing campaign by members of the Solomon Society, a traditional values group.  The Governor says he will sign it into law.

pi.jpg

The law took the state's engineering community by surprise. "It would have been nice if they had consulted with someone who actually uses pi," said Marshall Bergman, a manager at the Ballistic Missile Defense Organization. According to Bergman, pi is a Greek letter that signifies the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter. It is often used by engineers to calculate missile trajectories.

Prof. Kim Johanson, a mathematician from University of Alabama, said that pi is a universal constant, and cannot arbitrarily be changed by lawmakers. Johanson explained that pi is an irrational number, which means that it has an infinite number of digits after the decimal point and can never be known exactly. Nevertheless, she said, pi is precisely defined by mathematics to be "3.14159, plus as many more digits as you have time to calculate".

"I think that it is the mathematicians that are being irrational, and it is time for them to admit it," said Lawson. "The Bible very clearly says in I Kings 7:23 that the alter font of Solomon's Temple was ten cubits across and thirty cubits in diameter, and that it was round in compass."

Lawson called into question the usefulness of any number that cannot be calculated exactly, and suggested that never knowing the exact answer could harm students' self-esteem. "We need to return to some absolutes in our society," He said, "the Bible does not say that the font was thirty-something cubits. Plain reading says thirty cubits. Period."

Science supports Lawson, explains Russell Humbleys, a propulsion technician at the Marshall Spaceflight Center who testified in support of the bill before the legislature in Montgomery on Monday. "Pi is merely an artifact of Euclidean geometry." Humbleys is working on a theory which he says will prove that pi is determined by the geometry of three-dimensional space, which is assumed by physicists to be "isotropic", or the same in all directions. "There are other geometries, and pi is different in every one of them," says Humbleys. Scientists have arbitrarily assumed that space is Euclidean, he says. He points out that a circle drawn on a spherical surface has a different value for the ratio of circumference to diameter. "Anyone with a compass, flexible ruler, and globe can see for themselves," suggests Humbleys, "it’s not exactly rocket science."

Roger Learned, a Solomon Society member who was in Montgomery to support the bill, agrees. He said that pi is nothing more than an assumption by the mathematicians and engineers who were there to argue against the bill. "These nabobs waltzed into the capital with an arrogance that was breathtaking," Learned said. "Their prefatoril deficit resulted in a polemical stance at absolute contraposition to the legislature's puissance."

Some education experts believe that the legislation will affect the way math is taught to Alabama's children. One member of the state school board, Lily Ponja, is anxious to get the new value of pi into the state's math textbooks, but thinks that the old value should be retained as an alternative. She said, "As far as I am concerned, the value of pi is only a theory, and we should be open to all interpretations." She looks forward to students having the freedom to decide for themselves what value pi should have.

Robert S. Dietz, a professor at Arizona State University who has followed the controversy, wrote that this is not the first time a state legislature has attempted to redefine the value of pi. A legislator in the state of Indiana unsuccessfully attempted to have that state set the value of pi to three. According to Dietz, the lawmaker was exasperated by the calculations of a mathematician who carried pi to four hundred decimal places and still could not achieve a rational number. Many experts are warning that this is just the beginning of a national battle over pi between traditional values supporters and the technical elite. Solomon Society member Lawson agrees. "We just want to return pi to its traditional value," he said, "which, according to the Bible, is three."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy April Fool's Day!!!  It is really amazing how many corporations and others play April Fools pranks in the press and on the internet......

Edited by Fjd