my DeanG story

frankphess

16.gif I will try to make this as short as I can.

I purchased an all 7 Reference series system and was very happy with it. Then I found the Klipsch forum. Since then, I have been trying to improve the musicality of my home theater system without spending an arm and a leg.

First thing I did was purchase a Sony STR-DB930 (w/pre-outs) from EBay to replace my Sony STR-DE945 (no pre-outs). I figured it was a step up from the DE945, I could connect an external amp and the wife would still know how to operate it. The DB930 made my 7s sound bad. 2 dimensional, thin, compressed, bad, bad, bad. First time I had ever heard them sound bad. Purchased a B&K ST-140. Connected it to the DB930. Helped a little at lower volumes but still not an improvement.

Sold the ST-140, moved the DB930 upstairs with bookshelfs. Not as bad with the bookshelfs, but it will be replaced soon.

So, back where I started from, with a Sony STR-945 that I have been pretty darn happy with, especially after going through the above. I decide to go in a different direction after reading all the rave reviews about DeanGs replacement crossovers. So thats just what I did. I had Dean do my (2) RF-7s and my RC-7 about 2 months ago. I can not say enough good things about this mod. If you own RC/RF-7s I highly recommend you get this mod done BEFORE you spend ANY money on the front end, especially if you are relatively happy with what you already have. The statement that the difference is comparable to changing out a piece of gear could not be more accurate. I do not want to repeat everything that has already been said about his mod, wider soundstage, more detailed, etc., except that it is all true. It must be heard to be believed. Now I realize many may disagree with upgrading speakers first, but it worked for me.

I also realize tubes are the way to go and a better processor may also improve the sound, however , it is not in my budget at this time. I do have a small wattage SE Zenith I am having rebuilt by Hot Glass Audio for low listening sessions. Cant wait to get it back and give it a listen.

Thanks again Dean.

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS!

When you said "My DeanG Story" I expected to see a long tale of belonging to the Amp Of The Month Club listening to Mudville at obscene levels with Klipschorns as nearfield monitors.

Instead you bore us with another "these DeanG crossovers are so great story."

Those stories are getting old, it seems everybody has one. Or at least everybody who ever had Dean do their crossovers. Isn't there anything new in the world?7.gif

Enjoy!!!!

Rick

Ha Ha.

Thanks for the good words Frank.

Everyone experiencing the mod really needs to thank Leo K. who is the one who nailed it down. Without a doubt, it's a great tweak.

Without Leo, Al, Bob, John, and some others around here -- I'd still be rotating through gear like an idiot. I really appreciate the patience everyone has shown with me, and the mentoring received from Al and Bob has been unbelievable. Gracious, selfless, wonderful people. What a privilage it is to call them friends. Now, the fact that I'm gushing over with warmth for them shouldn't be constituted as an endorsement of their products -- which are pure crap.9.gif

----------------

On 8/16/2005 7:56:55 PM 3dzapper wrote: Instead you bore us with another "these DeanG crossovers are so great story."

Rick

----------------

..........13.gif

-----------------------------------------------------------

I'm glad for you Frank....the X-overs do make a difference.