$325,000 Horn Speakers

oscarsear

I've never heard them or heard of them but indeed they do exist. Don't know how to post a link. Go to www.aaudioimports.com plow into Acapella speakers and locate the "Sphaeron Excalibur". At $325,000 per pair they damn well better fly, pick your nose, clean up runny dog poo and sound good doing it!!!9.gif

Did you guys check out the website for Acapella? One of the reasons they cost so much is the tweeter...

"ACAPELLA ION TW 1S (Ionic Tweeter)

The Acapella ion tweeter Ion TW 1 S is a perfected and sophisticated loudspeaker chassis, whose exceptional performance and qualities can only be enjoyed completely if used properly.

It was designed to reproduce the harmonics of the music as detailed as possible. To reach this goal, a design with the smallest possible mass had to be developed. Relative to its function the Acapella ion tweeter has no mass! To carry out this project, a very unusual kind of design had to be created.

High voltage within the unit produces a constant arc. This arc is modulated with the musical signal (flame oscillates with the time of the music). This is the reason why the number of electrons within the arc varies. A larger or smaller amount of electrons requires similar space. Due to this variable need of space the surrounding air molecules have to dodge the more or less quickly. This evasive action or bumping of the air molecules generates over-, resp. underpressure and, therefore, sound. In this way, the Acapella ion tweeter is able to reproduce sound without membrane and without mass

Regarding transient capabilities and phase stiffness, the obtained sound quality cannot be realised by using conventional tweeters. Comparing the ion tweeter with other tweeter systems, its unobstrusive sound image will attract you. This kind of reproduction is to be attributed to the lack of harmonic and transient distortions."

----------------

On 8/19/2005 4:38:42 AM Parrot wrote:

Darn! They're no good with SET either! The manufacturer recommends 15W minimum.

----------------

What cha talkin' 'bout? Haven't you ever heard of Parrallel SET? Two 300Bs in parrallel is 16 Watts.2.gif

I would like to introduce to the world my latest invention, The Ionic Woofer:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/ionicwoofer.jpg

Yes Paul, it needs more power than SET can deliver.1.gif

Rick

post-12829-1381926927381_thumb.jpg

Ray, it's great to see you are alive and, well, still indulging in the black art of engineering... 11.gif

Do you have any thoughts about http://www.royaldevice.com/custom.htm? I thought you might like to see the updated version of this big horn. Frankly it influenced my desire to build a big, smooth gunnite, subterranean horn subwoofer. I was a bit taken aback when I saw the numbers of this behemoth were a bit under what I now have with my custom SVS rig.

Have any of our globe trotting Forum friends heard this beast?

Tom V. of SVS fame offered to design his concept of an enormous, no holds barred, custom subwoofer for me... one that would need its own major space... maybe it's time I took him up on it.

It's time we Klipschophiles took the Big Horn title back from the sheep! -HornEd 2.gif