Gattaca

D-Rex

Why is it that this movie hasn't had a single thread dedicated to it (until now!)? I tried coming here to see what others thought of the movie before I bought it. There was nothing here so I went to another forum that had quite a few great reviews on the film. So, I bought it and think it is a very well made movie with excellent acting and story! It is Sci-Fi without all of the CGI effects we are getting so accustomed to seeing.

My advice, if you don't want to fork over $12-13 for the Superbit version from Best Buy, then hop over and rent it for a buck at your local Blockbuster.

D

This movie came out when I was in 8th grade. I went to see it 3 times, each time dragging along different friends.

I wrote a paper about the metaphor and symbolism in this film for one of my college film school classes. Got an A.

Gattacca is one of my Top 10 Films of All Time.

I could not agree with you more, D, except for the fact that even if the DVD was $50+, anyone would do themselves a great service to own it.

Great movie, AND I think an accurate picture of where we could be headed in the future. Like the old school SciFi movies that raised some sort of ethical question about how we live. Maybe they won't have the genetic testing for EVERYTHING, but things like life insurance and health insurance for sure. Today they just ask "Anyone in your family ever have cancer?", soon they'll just look at your DNA in the blood they already collect and see for themselves.

It's an AWESOME movie from a writer-director who put his distinctive vision onto film - what they all TRY to do, but seldom accomplish. In this case, he absolutely DID.

I found it deeply disturbing and yet very possibly true which gives it its power. I recommend this one highly, and think that everyone should see it, and it especially be should be shown in schools for college credit.

DM2.gif

As a "car guy," I particularly enjoyed the cars of the "not too distant future."

Uma

drives a late '60's - early '70's Citroen DS convertible and there are

a couple more '60's Citroens scattered about. Ethan drives a '63-4

Studebaker Avanti (designed by Raymond Loewy). There's a '56 Lincoln

Continental MKII parked outside Ethan/Jude's apartment. There's a circa

'62-5 Jaguar MKII in the tunnel police checkpoint scene (which I think

is in the Stockton Street tunnel - between Sacramento and Sutter

Streets in San Francisco). And, of course, my favorite - all the cop

cars are 1970 Rover 3500's.

They only imported 1,400 Rover 3500's, and at one misguided point in my youth, I owned five of them - still have two....

Then,

of course, there is Gattaca. As a northern Californian I know the place

well. Gattaca is the Marin County Civic Center in San Rafael,

California. The Marin Civic Center was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright

and built in 1957. For pictures and more information on "Gattaca" see:

http://www.greatbuildings.com/buildings/Marin_Civic_Center.html

You'll recognize a lot of the movie locales.

By

the way, it looks like the rockets would be launching from somewhere on

the Marin coast or maybe around the north end of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Cool movie.

James

----------------

On 8/25/2005 2:02:03 AM jheis wrote:

As a "car guy," I particularly enjoyed the cars of the "not too distant future."

Uma drives a late '60's - early '70's Citroen DS convetible and there are a couple more '60's Citroens scattered about. Ethan drives a '63-4 Studebaker Avanti. There's a '56 Lincoln Continental MKII parked outside Ethan/Jude's apartment. There's a circa '62-5 Jaguar MKII in the tunnel police checkpoint scene (which I think is in the Stockton Street tunnel - between Sacramento and Sutter Streets in San Francisco). And, of course, my favorite - all the cop cars are 1970 Rover 3500's.

They only imported 1,400 Rover 3500's, and at one misguided point in my youth, I owned five of them - still have two....

----------------

I was a little baffled by the cars of the "not too distant future." They did not seem to technologically advance at the same pace as say, space exploration, and gene technology. Although I didn't let that detract from the movie because it helped maintain the non-CGI aspect, an aspect that can remove the viewer from belief if over persued (much like I view some parts of the latest Star Wars movies.)

I watched Minority Report (a movie I like equally if not more) shortly after Gatacca and noticed that most everything around the characters, from the cars to the genetically enhance vines had advanced at a somewhat equal level. Of course, that took more CGI work but it still had a strong enough story behind it to work well, IMO.

----------------

On 8/25/2005 10:30:09 AM D-Rex wrote:

I was a little baffled by the cars of the "not too distant future." They did not seem to technologically advance at the same pace as say, space exploration, and gene technology. Although I didn't let that detract from the movie because it helped maintain the non-CGI aspect, an aspect that can remove the viewer from belief if over persued (much like I view some parts of the latest Star Wars movies.)

----------------

The reason is because director Andrew Niccol wanted to portray the future as a flash to the past, if that makes any sense. Look at everyone's cars, hairstyles, hats, and manners of dress. It's all 20's style. It was an interesting creative decision I think works very well.

After all, look at fashion trends nowadays. Everything from the old days is slowly coming back.