2 channel amp for 5.1

erikm121

Posted this last night and not sure if it went through. Can I run a 2 channel amp (Rotel) to a 5.1 set up or is that never done and you just run the 2 channels to your mains and something else to the others. My set uo is the Rf 7 series. Also is there a noticeable difference between a stand alone amp and an AVR? Thanks for any input and wisdom you share..:)

You can absolutely run a 2-channel amp off the preouts of your AVR and it will make a big difference in performance. Have the amp run the mains and have the receiver run the rest. It will take some of the load off the receiver, and the dynamics to mains will most certainly increase.

Thanks for the reply but here is my delimma. I can't afford another good avr and a seperate amp. I was wondering if I can get just an amp and a pre to run all the speakers. I guess I need to look at the specs and ohm loads.

I have a low end Sony reciever up stairs, about $450 3 years ago. Would that work as a pre amp or are there certain ones that will or won't work? I would rather not use that but....if it will work it might be a possibility. Sorry about the basic questions and thanks again for the info....

The other q I still have is will i notice a diff between an amp and a good reciever like a Denon or pioneer elite?