regular or widescreen monitor?

Speedball

Which one would you choose.........widescreen or regular screen and why?

I need a new monitor because this one is on it's last leg and I can barely read anything on this new Klipsch forum. Not only is the monitor going out our computer is so old it does not allow you to choose between font sizes.

We are trying to decide between a 19" - 20" - 21" inch LCD monitors. I appreciate anyone having input on this matter!...[:D] If someone could convince me to go CRT that would be OK too because that is what we have been using for about 5 years.

.......drat! ......something else to go wrong when the $$$ could be used for audio.

I've used a 21" crt at work for last 5 years. Ran it at over 2,000 resolution (don't recall the number) I loved it.

New office, new look..wife says big screen has GOTTA go, it hogs all my desk space.

Just put in last week an Apple (for pc) 23" flatscreen. Needed new dvi card to go with it. It's a wide screen.

I don't have it at as high of resolution but it seems I can have two pages open side by side. it runs at 1920x1200 resolution and I wish it'd go higher.

That said, I DO think it's a VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY nice monitor. Very simple, very elegant.

Go thin monitor & get as big as your wallet allows.

If I had the cash I would go wide screen, but that's me. I would like to beable to watch dvd's in wide screen. I like to watch a movie from time to time on my puter. It's got amazing resolution. I can't imagine what a dvi would do for my viewing. I got a crt analog flat screen and looks real good. Plus gaming would be cool if your into that sort of thing. I think it would be nice on some web pages you wouldn't have to use the little slider bar on the bottom to see whats' to the right. My main reason would be for more space and what would be compadable I wouldn't know, but what would work probally would look great. If your just a web cruizer maybe a regular one would be better I don't really know. Man I said would alot.........

I think wheelman has a good point. It is time to start getting equipped for widescreen movies and other media. Of course it depends on your wallet.

I made an emergency purchase of a widescreen Compaq laptop a year ago. An X1000 - X1300. I was on the road and the long serving laptop died. The widescreen was a demo, on sale, at Office Depot.

The widescreen works well for normal applications like word processing and spreadsheets. Movies on CD look very good. I think I'll never not buy anything but a widescreen for home, office, etc.

Best,

Gil

Apple Cinema screens are pretty mediocre from a technical

standpoint.Their contrast ratio is average, color is off, response time

is horrible (26ms) and there is no OSD. That's a pretty big design

flaw. A comercial monitor that can't be calibrated easily because you

can't get a numerical value for your brightness, contrast, color

settings, ect. Also have to say the power/dvi/usb/firewire cable is the

worst idea ever. Now if you have a tall tower, the outboard power brick

is dangling a good 4 inches from the ground. And who uses an outboard

power brick on good lcds these days? Oh yeah, and don't bother getting

it if you plan on watching HD-DVD or Blue Ray, because so far it seems

like they both use Intel based DRM, and that means there is encryption

from the source all the way to the monitor / tv. Just buy a 4:3 lcd and

save ur pennies for a widescreen when they become better and

incorperate Intel DRM.

I'm gonna go against the grain here & say go for CRT. You can get a

nice 19" Viewsonic for a lot less than an LCD, and it'll last a long

time. No response time problems either.

BTW, I'm in a pretty similar situation. I have a 19" Viewsonic that's

starting to have color issues. Occasionaly some whites have a green

tinge to them for a minute. Not terribbly bad yet, but I'm keeping an

eye on it. Not bad considering the monitor is around 10yrs old and this

is the only problem I've ever had with it. I like the size of the LCDs,

but I wouldn't be able to live with the slow response time issues.

700 for a 20"? I paid just under $300 for my viewsonic 19" widescreen lcd, 8ms gaming monitor... www.newegg.com check it out before you buy anything, hell, even if you need it NOW they'll overnight it :)

Edit: heh didn't realize previous was original poster :P still

good info for anyone else looking though, or if you take it back you

might be able to step up

Just put in last week an Apple (for pc)

SHhhhhh can't let them know you're a Mac User!!!!... you don't want them to find out!!!

Apple Cinema screens are pretty mediocre from a technical

standpoint.Their contrast ratio is average, color is off, response time

is horrible (26ms) and there is no OSD. That's a pretty big design

flaw. A comercial monitor that can't be calibrated easily because you

can't get a numerical value for your brightness, contrast, color

settings, ect. Also have to say the power/dvi/usb/firewire cable is the

worst idea ever.

Apple's 30" LCD is the 2nd nicest LCD out there aside from IBM's really high density 22"er... their 23"er has a higher pixel density [and better looks] than Dell's 24"er, and well, the 20"er.. is a 20"er.. no comment there.

I have no idea where you get the 26ms quote. The 20"er uses the exact same 16ms LCD panel. I'd expect the highest on a current apple LCD to be no more than 20ms.

I don't know what you get on about the OSD -- several manufacturers have done without it, and I don't see what the big deal is since the scale varies anyway. It's a freaking DVI screen -- it doesn't need an OSD! Other LCDs on the market either have it due to previous designs or that they have vga/composite inputs.. stuff that macs haven't used in a while (it's been DVI here since like 2001)..

The 30"er uses Dual-Link DVI, which is a hell of a lot more standards compliant than IBM's funky DVI combination they use to drive the 22"er they make. It needs no fans (of course), shoot none of the current cinema displays even have vents. The power adaptor was made external to eliminate bulk and to keep the enclosure cooler, not to mention the lack of vga/svideo (the DAC required and such).. and whatever else.. it all came downto making them as sleek as possible. They use DVI, not ADC [which is USB+DVI+power], and while the current ones do use a cable that combines them until it gets to the end, that's certainly better than 4 cables going all the way from your screen to your computer.

Just buy a 4:3 lcd and

save ur pennies for a widescreen when they become better and

incorperate Intel DRM.

YES! And be told what you can and can't watch with the protected video. Way to go. To me a monitor is a monitor, not a Digital Rights Management device. Intel can take their DRM and shove it.

*long pause*

So, you just had a "mac zealot" (hey, I just responded to a somewhat anti apple post, I must be) tell you why I disagree with you. Now, what would I recommend for an LCD?

If you're cheap:

Dell 2005FPW or 2405FPW ($399-899)

If you want to splurge for something really nice

Apple 20" or 23" ($799-1499)

The price is tough to justify, but hey, so is the price difference between Logitech Z5500s and Klipsch 5.1 Ultras, no? In the same argument, you get a FREE BUILT IN DECODER!!!one!!! with the logitechs and it has a much bigger control pad with flashier buttons!!!one!!

Not a fun argument ;)

The Dell may have a good price and be satisfactory for general computer use, but it ghosts like the dickens when watching DVDs!

Just make sure you check it (and ANY unit, not just the Dell!!) out in all its intended uses and make an informed decision before buying one!

And while they may provide you with a general guide, do not rely solely on the reviews! Make the extra effort and make sure you get what you need and want!

Unless you are watching DVD's with regularity or spend your time in other video related work, there is no particular need to use a widescreen monitor for your computer. Apple/Mac's are graphics and video oriented due to the chipset they use, so that's where this comes from... for an IBM clone, forget it!

DM

Anyone got recommendations for a good 17" LCD? I'm coming from a 17" CRT which is starting to show its age. General use is just suring the internet, typing, etc, but I do play graphics-intensive games with motion like America's Army, URU: Agea Beyond MYST, and even a little Warcraft III and Starcraft. I also watch a DVD on occasion. So basically, I want nice, rich colors, as little motion blur as possible, and I want it to be nice and sharp. I don't want to see the individual pixels, nor do I want it to be blurry.

So I was looking at the Dell 17". Anyone have any experience with these? They actually sell three monitors, one of them looks rebranded, and then there are two higher models. I was looking at the middle one since it says it has 16 ms response time instead of the 25 that the higher one has. Then again, the higher-end one's contrast ratio is 1000:1 instead of the lower-end's 500:1. I really don't exactly know how that affect the monitors, so hopefully you guys can help.

when the image tends to linger. Kinda like a shadow of the image prior.

It tends to be annoying in fast action sequences in movies and games.

The faster the refresh the less likely of ghosting. CRT and Plasma do

not have ghosting though some lcds do. Usually anything from 16 ms and

less is not going to ghost.

when the image tends to linger. Kinda like a shadow of the image prior. It tends to be annoying in fast action sequences in movies and games. The faster the refresh the less likely of ghosting. CRT and Plasma do not have ghosting though some lcds do. Usually anything from 16 ms and less is not going to ghost.

Jay,

Thanks for the ghosting explanation.

I use a Sony SDMHS75PS and am pretty happy with it. 1280 x 1024 res with a decent response time. It sure beats the old CRT display to pieces, and in fact was the motivation for me to move to a 20" LCD to replace a bulky 20" CRT in the bedroom. Here are the specs:

LCD PANEL SCREEN SIZE : 17" LCD Panel Screen Size

LCD MONITOR PANEL : Resolution: 1280 x 1024

BRIGHTNESS : 420 cd/m2 ANSI Lumens

CONTRAST RATIO (Max) : 600:1

VIEWING ANGLE : 160 degrees

RESPONSE RATE : 8ms

MAXIMUM ANALOGUE INPUT : 1280 x 1024 (SXGA) @ 75Hz

INTERFACES : PC Input: 1 x 15 pin D-sub,

DVI Input: 1 x DVI-D

NATIVE ASPECT RATIO : 5:4

POWER INPUT : 100-120/220-240V AC, 50/60 Hz

POWER CONSUMPTION : 45W