What Are You Paying For Gas ?

sunburnwilly

The economy is rebounding.......that sure is good news, and will be a big surprise to many people I know.

I understand that some aren't doing as well as prior to the Credit Default Crisis, but otoh, folks seem to forget what was happening 4 years ago...Fwiw, I wasn't for bailing out the big banks until I saw what happened to the Stock Market after talk about possibly not bailing out AIG. [:o] If the markets didn't rebound like they have pretty much everyone's retirement funds & investments would be in jeopardy not to mention if our Auto industry was allowed to fail.

I admit I am fond of many aspects of Capitalism but there is a role for Government and as a small business owner prior to "the crash" my biggest concern was in regard to our rising Healthcare costs and last year we got a check back from our Insurance company.

I guess it is rebounding because I cannot find a parking space anymore in our local restaurant parking lots.

That really is a good indicator and I noticed the same thing here...We were planning on going out to dinner Saturday night and changed our minds when the overflow lot was full at the restaurant we frequent.That said, our business was slow in the Summer but picked up considerably in September.

The economy is rebounding.......that sure is good news, and will be a big surprise to many people I know.

I understand that some aren't doing as well as prior to the Credit Default Crisis, but otoh, folks seem to forget what was happening 4 years ago...Fwiw, I wasn't for bailing out the big banks until I saw what happened to the Stock Market after talk about possibly not bailing out AIG. Surprise If the markets didn't rebound like they have pretty much everyone's retirement funds & investments would be in jeopardy not to mention if our Auto industry was allowed to fail.

I admit I am fond of many aspects of Capitalism but there is a role for Government and as a small business owner prior to "the crash" my biggest concern was in regard to our rising Healthcare costs and last year we got a check back from our Insurance company.

Had AIG collapsed the way the system was leveraged, the next day you go to an atm and as for a withdrawl, it would print you an I.O.U instead of dispensing money. That's how bad it was. Countries collapse when that happen, anarchy ensues especially with the amount of firearms Americans have.

As for role of Government, I guess with the recent tainted anti inflamatory meningitis outbreak, I guess the lack of government oversight due to the ways the regulations are with medications showed us right! I mean the free market corrected itself right?! Right?

As for role of Government, I guess with the recent tainted anti inflamatory meningitis outbreak, I guess the lack of government oversight due to the ways the regulations are with medications showed us right! I mean the free market corrected itself right?! Right?

just like in accidents happening in industries that are heavily regulated. i've responded to airline crashes, and major oil spills...all where layers and layers of government regulations and oversight existed--things still happened. anyone that expects perfection or anything close to it is bound to be disappointed in any system.

just like in accidents happening in industries that are heavily regulated. i've responded to airline crashes, and major oil spills...all where layers and layers of government regulations and oversight existed--things still happened. anyone that expects perfection or anything close to it is bound to be disappointed in any system.

Here's the problem there is no oversight at all in that medical "copying" place, I think the USDA has more oversight at a beef factory than that facility that made or packaged the steroids.

As for heavily regulated, the airlines are one of the safest if the the safest mode of transportation. With the way airplanes are with ILS and autopilots, the biggest factor is usually human error. I think the last time an actual 100% mechanical problem that caused a hull loss was the heathrow triple7 that had buildup of ice in the engines which was a manufacturing error by Rolls Royce.

As for major oil spills, had BP installed the cut off valve the mass amounts of oil would have not have leaked as required in most other first world nations that do off shore oil drilling. It was lax regulation that allowed for millions+ barrels of oil to spill.

I am not asking for perfection but when there is no oversight there tends to be big problems.

Here's the problem there is no oversight at all in that medical "copying" place, I think the USDA has more oversight at a beef factory than that facility that made or packaged the steroids.

As for heavily regulated, the airlines are one of the safest if the the safest mode of transportation. With the way airplanes are with ILS and autopilots, the biggest factor is usually human error. I think the last time an actual 100% mechanical problem that caused a hull loss was the heathrow triple7 that had buildup of ice in the engines which was a manufacturing error by Rolls Royce.

As for major oil spills, had BP installed the cut off valve the mass amounts of oil would have not have leaked as required in most other first world nations that do off shore oil drilling. It was lax regulation that allowed for millions+ barrels of oil to spill.

I am not asking for perfection but when there is no oversight there tends to be big problems.

I agree and am not against a reasonable amount of regulation. I'm not afraid to fly as i do agree that airline travel is as safe as can be expected; but, "human behavior" is regulated as well. heavy regulation...we're still a mess; no regulation...we're hopeless. now isn't this a depressing topic.[:)]

$1.88 per gallon. I think this is for 95 octane. There is also 98 octane.

Seeing that you are fron the UAE, I would have expected less since your oil is subsidized by the government. Also 95 and 98 is equvalent to 91/95 I think, just different measurement.

I understand that some aren't doing as well as prior to the Credit Default Crisis, but otoh, folks seem to forget what was happening 4 years ago...Fwiw, I wasn't for bailing out the big banks until I saw what happened to the Stock Market after talk about possibly not bailing out AIG. Surprise If the markets didn't rebound like they have pretty much everyone's retirement funds & investments would be in jeopardy not to mention if our Auto industry was allowed to fail.

Had AIG collapsed the way the system was leveraged, the next day you go to an atm and as for a withdrawl, it would print you an I.O.U instead of dispensing money. That's how bad it was. Countries collapse when that happen, anarchy ensues especially with the amount of firearms Americans have.

You make a Great point, it just happens to be the opposite of the one you thought you were making.The GOVERNMENT was in charge, and dropped the ball due to it's stupid regulation arrangement.If a PRIVATE insurance company would have been overseeing it's likely this would not have happened, they hate being sued.Try to sue the state..........we'll see how many people that died prevail.

You make a Great point, it just happens to be the opposite of the one you thought you were making.The GOVERNMENT was in charge, and dropped the ball due to it's stupid regulation arrangement.If a PRIVATE insurance company would have been overseeing it's likely this would not have happened, they hate being sued.Try to sue the state..........we'll see how many people that died prevail.

The government deregulated that market during Clinton's era. The government was not in charge.

AIG is or was a private insurance company when it happened.

As for being sued, hahahaha do you keep up with Apple versus Samsung, Apple versus Google. Today's motto is, "If you are not being sued, you are not doing it right."

"A
new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The
rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone
trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of
vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B,
multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C
equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one."

You make a Great point, it just happens to be the opposite of the one you thought you were making.The GOVERNMENT was in charge, and dropped the ball due to it's stupid regulation arrangement.If a PRIVATE insurance company would have been overseeing it's likely this would not have happened...

I am sorry Fish but AIG was definitely a private insurance company and see Jay's post above. Hopefully now that has been clarified you will understand that my point was very much on the mark and you still agree with my opinion. Fwiw, even though Clinton signed the bill that deregulated these Derivatives it was the Republicans (Phil Gramm in particular) that championed the legislation and Clinton said it was something he regretted signing, after the fact....There is an excellent documentary on PBS's Frontline documenting this ordeal.

$1.88 per gallon. I think this is for 95 octane. There is also 98 octane.

Seeing that you are fron the UAE, I would have expected less since your oil is subsidized by the government. Also 95 and 98 is equvalent to 91/95 I think, just different measurement.

Correct. The UAE has some of the highest fuel prices in the Gulf. However, I've heard/read that they might be cutting fuel prices in the UAE by 60%.

I responded to the meningitis outbreak line, the last line in the previous to my post.I did not know medicine had been deregulated, thanks for that info.I also did not know AIG killed people..........I kinda wonder if the post was read or just responded to............not that it really matters since we're just yackin but.....$3.58 per gallon.

Hopefully less after the election in November....

yea, I hear yea. Than darn G.W. it's all his fault, he's just helping all his buddies get rich off the backs of the little man. When ole G.W. and his oil buddies pass the pumps, they hear kaching, kaching kaching in their pockets. Man, I don't know if I can take this $2.20/gal gasoline for much longer...... oh crap, wait a second, I'm sorry, that was 4 years ago. Never mind.

Jay's America....

I'm surprised Amy's let this go so long....