What Are You Paying For Gas ?

sunburnwilly

While they most likely do not "really need " a range rover for that, it is a choice that they have made. I don't see how some of you guys can preach about "being part of the problem" here. While you may not have a large SUV (as it would seem in your view to be part of the problem), some of the SUV owners do not not have three, four or what ever the number of power consuming systems sitting in a home that could easly service 3~5 more residents. Or maybe they wonder why does one person live in a 3 bedroom home, or need more than one car ect.

I am not saying that either way is right or wrong, just that we all have a view on what is or is not "part of the problem". That being said we are all at the mercy of that black gold. Don't like it, I feel your pain. But the fact is for the next 20 years or more it's a part of our lives. We are just now tasting what Europe has digested for more than 50 years.

As for joesportster's suggestion of boycotting buying gas for 3 or so days.....that won't do anything. Why? Because folks will all fill up before the three days commence and then rush to fill up afterwards.

No, what needs to happen is for ALL of us to start buying from one or two brands only. That means for days and maybe weeks, the other companies will sell nothing. That's when the law of supply & demand kicks in and the starving stations lower their price in order to stay alive. That would then force other staions to follow suit. I personally think this would only have to happen once for the oil companies to get the message.

Tom

What we really need to do is stop buying gasoline for a whole month! That's when the law of supply & demand kicks in and the starving stations lower their price in order to stay alive. I personally think this would only have to happen once for the oil companies to get the message.

Perhaps the price just needs to get to 10.00/gallon for us to get the message?

Woo

The turbo adds more air to the cylinder thus alowing more fuel to be injected into the cylinder thus causing a higher

compression ratio thus requiring a higher octane fuel. The short answer

is yes. less boost, less octane required to avoid ping.

How's that work, when diesel engines use far higher compression ratios than turbocharged gas engines?

It would seem to me that the higher the compression ratio, the lower the octane rating would need to be to sustain good burn...

*edit* - nm - just read the info on the fundamental differences between the two engine types - as you were....

As I understand it, the higher the octane, the slower the gasoline burns. You don't want it igniting as the piston is on the upstroke, but rather when the downstroke starts.

There are some real mechanics on this forum, so if I'm wrong I'll know it soon enough.

Woo

The Governor of Georgia did a little sumpin'-sumpin' yesterday to ease the pain slightly by putting a temporary halt to the collection of state tax on gas. It's mandatory and drops the price of gas $.15 a gallon. Not a perfect solution, but a damn sight better than price fixing.

And yeah, I've read some reports that have been backed up by some folks on the boob-tube saying that gas prices will be back down to the levels of 2 or 3 months ago by Columbus day. It seems that by then just about all but one or two refineries will be up & running, oils prices will be down and we'll start to see the President's waiver on blended fuel kick in - i.e. refineries will be free to produce nothing by unleaded gas and diesel. Personally, I think that's part of the problem. Refineries have this mandate to blend I think it's something like 14 different types of gas (of which I'm sure they get some kinda special tax breaks) which lessens their ability to produce what we use predominately - unleaded.

Anyhow, hope the prognosticators are correct.

Tom

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/205791/GasPrices.jpg

I was not sure how to directly post the photo.....thus the link.....[:$]

As to octane ratings and combustion, the normal process of combustion begins as the pistons are on the upward move towards top dead center. Thus maximum cylinder pressure is applied at the proper time to allow the most power possible without detonation. It is rare to find an internal combustion engine that has ignition timing coming after TDC, although there are some out there. The octane rating does directly correlate with flame front travel and combustion speed. You will do your wallet and your vehicle best by running only the minimum recommended octane level of fuel. Higher octane fuels contribute to slower burn rates and less efficiency when used in engines that do not require them. An engine will be most efficient and produce the most power when it is on the verge of detonation.[;)]

Well made it to Houston and Regular is at 2.999. Filled up the truck with deisel at 2.719 and saw it for 2.679 up the road a bit.[:(]

Michael (colterphoto) I will have to dissagree with you about the ones of us that drive (gas hogs) are causing this problem. I need my trucks and should I have to go out and buy two vehicles and only drive the truck when it is needed. If I'm willing to put gas in it why shouldn't I drive what I want. That would be like saying you shouldn't own big speakers when these tiny little cubes will put out sound also and they take up so much less space.[:P]

Steve

$2.99 in Little Rock

I filled up before the spike and have only driven to and from work. I refuse to drive anywhere unless necessary because I refuse to pay 2.99 for gas unless forced. I drive a truck becasue they are useful not because they are trendy. It is hard not to laugh when you see a Hummer on the road I mean what does it goet 6mpg!! Thinking of putting sails on my tuck!

Biomass fuels are now cheaper than fossil fuels so lets get started. Can you imagine the impact it could have on American farmers if we switched to biomass fuels?

While they most likely do not "really need

" a range rover for that, it is a choice that they have made.

Not *preaching*. The previous poster mentioned the gas

costs were now taxing their budget. My suggestion was that

there's altenative SUVs out there to consider without any great

sacrifice in creature

comforts or features and also providing superior fuel economy.

You'd think I told them to ride a moped and start reading "Mother

Jones".

People really need to *read* prior to flaming and jumping to conclusions. [:@]

Here is an article that was in one of out daily news updates.

Jet fuel tops $93 per barrel; crack spread above $24

An article Wednesday in

The New York Times reported that flight cancellations and higher jet fuel costs triggered by Hurricane Katrina could push some airlines into bankruptcy. It also said the supply of jet fuel for airlines has been reduced. "The industrys trade group, the Air Transport Association, said the nations supply of jet fuel had been cut 13 percent because of damage to refineries on the Gulf Coast," the article said. The cost of jet fuel skyrocketed to $93.45 per barrel Monday, and the crack spread the spread that refiners receive from breaking (cracking) the crude oil into jet fuel increased to $24.15 per barrel Tuesday. Jet fuel has increased nearly $14 per barrel in just 15 days. Every $1 increase in the price of a barrel of fuel adds $40 million to COs annualized costs.

Steve

You really should take your own advise. *READ*

I never flamed YOU or anyone else. My post was refering to "If you are not part of the soulution" comment. While I have no problem with SUV's, I would think that those that do see little difference in a Montero and a Rover (about the same size as a Discovery)

Zeeech, some folks kids.

What are you driving Nic??? I make it 600 miles on a 36 gal tank. Can make it last 2 weeks. I just wish I had a bike in both places, Houston and Richmond. I figured that with CA always being higher with the gas prices that you guys would be paying closer to $4.00 per gal. I guess the rest of the countries gas stations figured if they pay it in CA why not make it the same everywhere else. I do hope it goes down soon cause its driving every thing else higher except my paycheck.

Steve

Waddup Steve. Well, prices for 87 Octane range from $2.89 to $3.15 around here. It's funny, I think it's cheaper here in Cali than most places in the South. I know my brother, who's down in Atlanta, said prices are about $5 a gallon! Craziness!

I drive a 97 Ford Explorer, but between the performance enhanced 5.0L V8 (exhaust, intake, mass airflow sensor, headers, etc.) and the dozens of offroad modifications I've made to it (lift kit, tires, gears, etc.), the beast is a gas-guzling machine.

Sounds nice. I think youve posted a pic of it before. I cruise around in a 99 Ford F250 with a powerstroke turbo deisel. (how would you type out the sound Tim the Toolman Taylor makes?) Its got a 3.96 rear end insted of the 4.10 that come stock. It will pull a house off its foundation. Best thing is it doesn't matter how loaded down it is it still gets the same MPG. You don't even notice when your pulling a steel 4 horse trailer loaded down either.

Steve