can i please get a definitive answer? amy?

argh. i just wrote out this post, only to find i had the wrong password entered.

anyways.

i've had a problem similar to others - i've been getting crackling in the front left speaker, as well as a little in all the other channels.

when i switch my computer settings to two speakers, the crackling dissapears. the channels are crystal clear.

i bought a 4.1 system, though. i'd like to use it as such.

i've got a sblive! value soundcard - after some discussion in other threads, i was under the impression that this was probably the source of the problem. but it appears that subsequent discussion has revealed that, in a case very much like mine (see heifetz's thread), the soundcard couldn't be the problem (see justin's post).

i've checked my wiring MANY times; it looks fine.

some other oddness at hand:

mp3s and cds played through the computer produce the crackling in 4.1

instant messenger sounds, eudora sounds, other basic computer sound effects also crackle in 4.1

video games (e.g. counterstrike) do not appear to crackle in 4.1

i'm just puzzled.

some one else had this same problem, teh very same. was it darkhelmet.... either way, i contacted Creative and they gave me a list of things to do to fix it... i do not remember where i posted, i would go find it for you but i have to go to bed soon, have a latin essay tomorrow! ugh!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free: 1-888-554-5665

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

Yeah it was me justin i appreciated teh help you gave us. I never tried it and here's why. The suggestoin that creative gave was to basically uninstall all the drivers ad reinstall tehm. I knew it would'nt work because i had just installed a new motherboard so my hard drive had to be reformated so teh drivers were clean when i put them on. i am aloso angry at creative as well. I would jus go for a new sound card dude if you can afford it

Oh my god. Someone else has the same problem that I'm having. I switched to a Santa Cruz from SBLive and the same problem occurs, even worse. The extraneous sound is even louder than before. I think the difference is because Santa Cruz Rears are more amplified than SB Live. I've tried everything I can on the software side, including reinstalling OS, reinstalling the drivers...etc, and nothing fixed it. So I don't think its software related. Also I messed around with the bios too, so I don't think its bios related either. So either its something hardware related, or something is just wrong with the speakers.

Here are my system specs

KT7 w/ Duron

Win XP Pro

Santa Cruz

I really want to get this thing fixed, because it is a very ANNOYING PROBLEM!

BTW, I think anything that uses 4 channel sound will make the speakers act up. But because the speakers only crack on certain frequencies, you won't notice it in games because most games don't have continous music playing. Games liks CS only have soundeffects, and I think most of the time it won't cause the speakers to crack. If you can find a game that has a lot of music, try it and see if you notice the speakers cracking.

This message has been edited by Heifetz on 09-26-2001 at 12:09 PM

Yeah, Klipsch TS sees it a lot, but it seems like everybody's solution is a bit different.

9 times out of 10 it's a software or driver problem.

The recommendations I usually make are to first check to make sure you have the most upgraded sound card driver; then check the version of the software for any updates. Sometimes the software has to be reloaded to pick up the new driver. MP3 player software in particular is notorious for snapping and popping sounds. This is particularly true with slow processors, low bit rate files, old sound cards, etc.

After that, I tend to go to the other end, and work my way back. First, if the speakers work fine when used with any other source (like a walkman, portable CD or MP3 player), then the problem is narrowed down to the the sound card, or the aforementioned software/hardware compatibility issues.

As always, if you get stuck, give Klipsch a call. If it is the speaker, then Klipsch is ready to help.

-djf

------------------

Klipsch ProMedia Customer Service # is

1-888-554-5665

quote:

Originally posted by Dan F:

Yeah, Klipsch TS sees it a lot, but it seems like everybody's solution is a bit different.

9 times out of 10 it's a software or driver problem.

The recommendations I usually make are to first check to make sure you have the most upgraded sound card driver; then check the version of the software for any updates. Sometimes the software has to be reloaded to pick up the new driver.

heh, creative's drivers wouldn't work for me. everytime i'd try to update, i'd get silence. literally no sound. it was pretty annoying. so ultimately, i'm back to the original drivers.

quote:

MP3 player software in particular is notorious for snapping and popping sounds. This is particularly true with slow processors, low bit rate files, old sound cards, etc.

After that, I tend to go to the other end, and work my way back. First, if the speakers work fine when used with any other source (like a walkman, portable CD or MP3 player), then the problem is narrowed down to the the sound card, or the aforementioned software/hardware compatibility issues.

ok, i actually did quite a bit of testing with this a few weeks ago. the only time i get any crackling is with 4.1 mp3s and 4.1 cd playing . unfortunately that's not very conclusive - that implies the soundcard or software in both cases, no? because when i switch to 2.1, or hook up a portable cd player, it plays quite clearly (note: i haven't been able to test 4.1 with the portable cd player, i dont have the proper jack). can i conclude that the speakers aren't the issue?

it's strange, i never recall any crackling when i was still at home (i'm at college now). the power sources here probably aren't the best - i don't suppose that could have anything to do with it?

regardless, thanks for the reply, i hope we can get this resolved soon.

PIII 733

384 megs ram

sound blaster live! value

i think that's about all that's pertinent.]

This message has been edited by killed radio star on 09-26-2001 at 05:35 PM

guys i'm having the same problem and i'm in college too and did not have this problem back home. I started a post to find out if i need to change my system settings. I'm also having problems with my sub. Do u guys find ur sub not acting that powerfull as once was and ur speakers ( i think the ones in the back) being too powerfull like thumping much more then the sub. its freakin weird and annoying. But i must say that when the volume isn't cranked up the 4.1s sound awesome. its just when i go beyond half way with the volume on the control pod speaker.

quote:

Originally posted by killed radio star:

ok, i actually did quite a bit of testing with this a few weeks ago. the only time i get any crackling is with 4.1 mp3s and 4.1 cd playing . unfortunately that's not very conclusive - that implies the soundcard or software in both cases, no? because when i switch to 2.1, or hook up a portable cd player, it plays quite clearly (note: i haven't been able to test 4.1 with the portable cd player, i dont have the proper jack). can i conclude that the speakers aren't the issue?

it's strange, i never recall any crackling when i was still at home (i'm at college now). the power sources here probably aren't the best - i don't suppose that could have anything to do with it?

regardless, thanks for the reply, i hope we can get this resolved soon.

PIII 733

384 megs ram

sound blaster live! value

i think that's about all that's pertinent.]

If it works in 2.1 mode and distorts in 4.1 you probably can rule out the speakers as a cause. You can confirm by testing the 4.1's purple plug (rear channels) in a portable CD player. This will rule out the possibility of a short in the rear speaker plug.

Maybe you can temporarily swap sound cards with someone else to see if your card might be the problem?

Everything about it suggests a problem with the drivers, though. That's really odd.

------------------

Klipsch ProMedia Customer Service # is

1-888-554-5665

quote:

Originally posted by Dan F:

If it works in 2.1 mode and distorts in 4.1 you probably can rule out the speakers as a cause. You can confirm by testing the 4.1's purple plug (rear channels) in a portable CD player. This will rule out the possibility of a short in the rear speaker plug.

Maybe you can temporarily swap sound cards with someone else to see if your card might be the problem?

Everything about it suggests a problem with the drivers, though. That's really odd.

i'll be sure to try the cd player test. my dad actually suggested that i swap cards, heh. i'll see if i can try that.

as for me switching drivers, i could not get the drivers to work. creative's software is just plain awful. the uninstalls remove practically nothing. i'll give it another shot today and tell you what happens.

thanks a bunch.