Denon 4800 or Outlaw Pre & Rotel 1075

kleggatt

Hi,

I am looking to upgrade my setup which currently consists of RF-3, RS-3 and RC-3, a Technics SA-AX7, SH-C500D, Panasonic DVD changer. I am looking to get a little bit more highend.

I know that I can get a Denon 4800 for 1800CDN which to me sounds like a good deal. I was initially planning on getting the Outlaw Pre/Pro and mating it with the Rotel RMB-1075 (5*120watts) and then down the road adding the RB-1080 (2*200)for 7.1. I also thought that I could get the Denon and add the RB-1080.

Which do you guys recommend?

Well as an owner of a Denon 4800 I am going to be a little biased.

I have the Denon 4800 teamed up with the Denon POA-5200 amp that is made to go with the receiver. They are both THX Ultra certified and work very very well together. The 4800 powers the center channel and the rear 4 speakers, while the 5200 handles the front main speakers. The 4800 has all the inputs that you would ever need to handle any A/V setup....and it alone has plenty of power to put a smile on the face.

So in my opinion......go with the Denon 4800 and look for a POA-5200 to go with it.

Good Luck

------------------

Klipsch Quartets - fronts

Klipsch Academy - center

Klipsch KG 1.5's - rear surrounds

Klipsch KG .5's - rear side surrounds

Klipsch KSW12 subwoofer

Denon AVR-4800

Denon POA-5200 THX Amp (fronts)

Sony C-67ES CD Player

JVC 36D201 36" TV

JVC HR-S3600 SVHS Player

JVC XV-M565BK DVD Player

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 Digital Cable box

Playstation 2

Monster Power HTS-2000

Monster Cable M-series Speaker Cable and subwoofer cable

Monster Component, S-Video, and Optical cables

RS HT Gold Interconnects

Hmmmm good question

TheEAR(s) would say...

As the owner of two Denon recievers(3801 and 5800)and someone who had the 4800 at home for test I can say the 4800 has plenty of quality to serve the task.

The 4800 has a solid amp,even with all channels driven it can drive most speakers(and all Klipsch)speakers with ease.The pre/pro section is of good quality too.

The amp is quite smooth and will match well with your speakers.

The second option is also very interesting.The Outlaw pre/pro should match the Denon 4800 buil in pre/pro.

Sure the Denon looks better and does not miss any features.

Now the Rotel amp will outperforme the Denon amp,hands down.This is why I have an ATI 1505 to go with the Denon 3801 and a ATI 2505 to aid the 5800!

Overall I have to say the Outlaw/Rotel combo will outperform the 4800,music and overall sound quality.

If you upgrade later and add say a big 5 channel Rotel

power amp then the denon is still a good choice.

Ah its heart breaking but the Outlaw/Rotel combo get my vote here.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks for the replies guys. Part of my trouble is I am looking at moving to seperates but I do not know if I will have the cash all at once to purchase the Outlaw/Rotel combo which is why I am considering Denon. How much of a difference do you think there is between the pre/pro section of the 4800 and say 3802? The outlaw my be stretching it where I can defintely move to the Rotel RB-1080 this spring.

The pre/pro on the 3802 is at least as good(features and sound)as the one on the 4800.If you want to add a power amp later then...the 3802 will be a great start.

I compared the sound of the 5800 pre/pro section with the 3801 pre/pro and its...ahem not much if you use a serious power amp to juice up the speakers.The ATI1505 and 2505 serve me well.

If you want to start and not spend too much get the Denon 3802.Later you may add a serious amp if needed.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks Ear,

Do you have any troubles integrating the sub at the 80hz mark? Currently the technics I have has a adjustable crossover from 50 - 200hz on the analogue inputs. Will it be easy enough to integrate my PW-2200?

Thanks for indicating that the pre section of the 3802 was as good as the 5800. My main concern is to have all the features I want and still be able to afford a solid preamp.

kleggatt the 80Hz cut is not a real problem with the Paradigm 2200 sub.The Paradigm is not a boomy sub,in fact its quite falt down low.

I tried the 2200 and found the sub very polite,then the Servo-15 took its place.The Servo-15 has more impact,also very clean.

Just keep the sub out of corners,try a position along a wall.Only some sealed subs work great in corners.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Thanks for all of your help. I ordered a Denon 3801 instead of the 3802, I got the 3801 for 1220 CDN which is a real steal, dealer cost! The only things I miss out on is the adjustable crossover and Prologic II. In a year I plan to add the Rotel RB-1080 and the RBM-1075 to really beef up the sound!

Good choice as an owner of the Denon 3801 I dont regret my purchase and I paid over $1500CAN plus tax!

The amp is still quite good,and great when compared to other recievers in this price range.

Denon and Klipsch make a very good combination.Boa also has a Denon I think.

Again congrats you now have a quality reciever,

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Why not take a look at the new outlaw 770 amp coming out at the same time as the outlaw 950 pre/pro. It is listed as putting out 200 wpc x 7, and will cost under 1800 dollars, the whole set would run you under 2700 dollars. Just a thought.