Can I run a RC7 with RB35's and RS35's?? Or am I crazy?

mm07

Is this completely crazy or what?

I am purchasing a klipsch set of speakers for Home Theater.
My budget can go as high as $2000.00 (started out at 500.00 a month ago baha)

I went demo'ing, and I like the RB25's and also like the RB35's.
They are also in my budget...
I then listened to the RC7 center channel (the big mother) and was completely blown away. It sounds SO REAL, and much better than the RC35 center.

The only klipsch dealer near me is a small store, so I could only hear certain configurations of speakers together, and some only in 2 channel mode.. so I couldn't demo my fiendish plan below..
So I look to you all for opinions...

Now there is absolutely NO WAY I can afford to go RC7/RF7/RS7 all around.. that would be about 4 thousand dollars!! No chance in ****
BUT... what if I ran the awesome center with the rest of the speakers in my price range?

RB35 : 600.00 / pair
RS35 : 600.00 / pair
RC7 : 800.00
-------------------------
$2000.00 total... (and that's retail, I could probably get a little discount?)

This way I get the awesome center, which everyone says produces 60-80% of your sound in home theater, and I get the timber matching because I stay in the reference line..AND.. (here's where I am really stretching...) later if I want to move to a 7.1 setup, I keep everything and just add in the 2 RF7's after I hit the lotto jackpot..

Genius or Madness?
Would it sound like crap?
Please let me know.
-Mike

Absolutely!!!!

I recently upgraded from a RC-35 to the RC-7 and let me tell you...

HUGE difference. I just kick myself, had I known... I would have

purchased the RC-7 to begin with. I had an all R-35 setup, RC-35,

RF-35s, RB-35s and RB-25s.

I am in the process of switching it all to the RC-7, RB-75s, RS-7s and

some inwalls (RCW-5s or R-5800) for the rear surround. I am still

waiting on my RB-75s... but the RC-7, RS-7s sound GREAT! Of

course I have sold all my 35 series, so I am running some near 20 year

old Wharfedale Diamonds for my Mains till the 75s show up.

I ran the RB-35s for my surrounds and really liked

them. Especially when listening to music. I switched them

out for the RS-7s just because they look better hanging on the walls

and personally I like the WDST sound... it fits my room pretty well.

Don't even think twice... if it is in your budget do the RC-7 now...

you can always slowly upgrade the rest later if you get the bug.

And the Klipsch reference stuff holds its value pretty well if you buy

it right to begin with. You will lose some $$$ but it won't be a

huge beating.

ps. Post some pictures when you get it all setup!

The RC 7 is a huge great speaker.. Like everyone else sais it will be fatastic too.

My rule of them for Centers is stay in the same class...And.. when possible go bigger within the class.. So ref 35 or larger... and Larger always bigger sound esp for HT needed too.

The Ref 7 center is made differently than the others, you will notice and hear the difference for sure.. You will have to turn up the sides...and backs.. and down the center bit...

BUT will def rock the house.. Your leaning the right way.

"The Ref 7 center is made differently than the others, you will notice and hear the difference for sure.. You will have to turn up the sides...and backs.. and down the center bit... "

When I bought my RC7 to go with my RF3IIs and RB5 surrounds I thought I would have to turn the center down but the opposite has been true. I still have to turn my center channel up so I can hear the dialog during movies better. Am I an exception or are there others out there that have to do the same?

D

"The Ref 7 center is made differently than the

others, you will notice and hear the difference for

sure.. You will have to turn up the sides...and backs.. and

down the center bit... "

When I bought my RC7 to go with

my RF3IIs and RB5 surrounds I thought I would have to turn the center

down but the opposite has been true. I still have to turn my

center channel up so I can hear the dialog during movies better.

Am I an exception or are there others out there that have to do the

same?

D

Haven't had any trouble with hearing dialog on mine. You might want to try recalibrating the levels with an SPL meter.

Yes, crazy in a good way. Long before his former RF-7s and now his uniquely modded pair of K-horns, DeanG used to run RC7s as mains (and a sub) with very good results. When my RC-7 was in my primary system (prior to Heritage), I used to run it vertical, and it sounded incredible. Moon also uses RC7s as surrounds in his home theater.

Yes, if you can afford it, all RC-7s plus a killer sub would make an incredible system.

Carl.

"The Ref 7 center is made differently than the others, you will notice and hear the difference for sure.. You will have to turn up the sides...and backs.. and down the center bit... "

When I bought my RC7 to go with my RF3IIs and RB5 surrounds I thought I would have to turn the center down but the opposite has been true. I still have to turn my center channel up so I can hear the dialog during movies better. Am I an exception or are there others out there that have to do the same?

D

D-Rex, I have a similar setup and have found this to be true as well. Glad to see someone else has noticed that. Have you tried to calibrate with a SPL yet? What was the outcome? I have my RC7 about 1.5 db hotter than my mains. I was wondering if it was working right since I had to do some minor repairs to the binding posts when I bought it.

Hey all,
Thanks for the recommendations.

I bought the following today:

2 RB 75's L+R
2 RS 35's rears
1 RC7 center

I got it for 2100.00.
Did I screw up on the rears?? I was trying to decide between RS35 and RS7.
The price difference was not that great, but the RS7's were HUGE!! I was concerned about them mounting on my wall.
rs35=9 pounds
rs7=24 pounds

What do you think? I can still change it.
Room is 20X25, but the tv/speakers will be regulated to only half the room.

-Mike

My own experience ...

I had the rs3's.. while not the 35's...

Changed to the RS7's OMG a HUGE difference!! They can be installed with good anchors in your drywall.. especially if you have studs.. Don't be afraid...

If your so close to having the best, and ok with it $ wise, you do not just go for it is beyond me? The rs7's are incredible almost as good as most full range speakers and great SPL's too! And they will kinda dissapear in the back, after mounted, trust me!

Do yourself a favor and just do it. There is a LOT of good surround material you will just LOVE to uncover if you do.

No, I don't have a SPL to calibrate my system. I just thought it was odd that I have to run my RC-7 at the same level that I had to run my RC3II. Maybe it's the Denon 3802 I am using but I can't seem to get enough power to the RC 7 without cranking up the dbs above the mains. At least someone else has noticed a similar situation.

Take care,

D

Hey,

Does anyone else want to give their opinion on

Should I keep the RS35's as surrounds for my RB75 / RC7 setup.

Or should I upgrade to the RS7 surrounds?

If I do it, I have to call up first thing Tuesday Morning.. so please give your opinion.

Thanks